The Student Room Group

Can I do a degree in psychology with my current A-Level choices?

I’ve just finished my GCSEs and i didn’t get the grade to get into psychology so i figured that sociology was the next best option. I picked this alongside English literature (facilitating subject + I enjoy it) and history. I’m also doing core maths. Is this combination a good mix to get into a degree for psychology in university?
Reply 1
Have you actually looked at the entry requirements for a Psychology degree on any Uni websites - start there.

Psych at degree level is a science and you will usually need at least one, sometime two science or science-related subjects.

Bristol - https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2024/psychology/bsc-psychology/ - "A*AA including A in a science-related subject - science-related subjects include: Biology; Chemistry; Computer Science; Further Mathematics; Geography; Mathematics; Physics; Psychology; and Statistics."

Liverpool - https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/courses/2023/psychology-bsc-hons- AAB with a B or above in an A level science or numerte subject - Psychology, Biology, Human Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Economics, Statistics, Further Maths, Mathematics, Geology, Geography, Environmental Science, Computer Science or Applied Science.
Hi! What grades did you get if you don’t mind me asking and what did you need for psychology?
You may have to look at different entry requirements but it is a science subject so they may require you to have a science or two.
Original post by Sssjsaja
I’ve just finished my GCSEs and i didn’t get the grade to get into psychology so i figured that sociology was the next best option. I picked this alongside English literature (facilitating subject + I enjoy it) and history. I’m also doing core maths. Is this combination a good mix to get into a degree for psychology in university?

Hey!

It depends on the university, so it's worth having a look where you want to go! Whilst some unis do require a science, there is often an alternative route if you don't have any science A-levels (e.g. I think Cambridge instead ask for evidence of strong performance at GCSE instead). Other unis don't require a science! Maths can also count as a science-related subject as well so you should be fine either way! I personally did Psychology, English & History and had no problems! I ended up completing my undergraduate degree in Psychology at the University of Kent, which doesn't require a science, and loved it (since gone on to do postgraduate study!!) so I really wouldn't stress to much unless you're set on a specific university that requires it :smile:

Best of luck with everything!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by Sssjsaja

Sssjsaja
There is a lot of great advice here already. I would say that the research methods element of Sociology would certainly be useful for when you did Psychology - I did a degree in the first and a conversion masters in the second and it gave me an advantage

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest