The Student Room Group

EPQ with A levels

Hey guys, would you advise doing 3 A-levels and an AS as well as an EPQ (planning on studying medicine)?
No, why overload yourself? You don't need more than 3 A Levels even for medicine.
Do what ever you feel capable of. More qualifications may assist you getting into university abroad, but might not be as greater of an advantage for UK universities.
Original post by Yas123min
Hey guys, would you advise doing 3 A-levels and an AS as well as an EPQ (planning on studying medicine)?

Hi @Yas123min,

My best friend is doing Medicine in Ireland, and she was in a similar situation as you during her A-Levels. She started off with 4 AS-Levels + and EPQ, then she dropped a subject during her A-Levels. She based her EPQ around a medicinal topic as well, figuring that it would help her boost her CV and personal statement.

With no sugarcoating, she did find the first year extremely stressful and overwhelming juggling her four subjects and an EPQ. And by the time she got around to writing her personal statement, she barely mentioned her EPQ whatsoever.

Do keep in mind that three A-Levels are sufficient for medicine, but there is also no harm in doing extra-curricular to boost your portfolio. Instead of an EPQ, you could consider picking up additional volunteering or social services to help polish your CV. This way, you could pick up extra curriculars at your own pace, whereas with an EPQ you tend to work on a timeline and with deadlines.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Reply 4
thank you for your replies everyone
Original post by Yas123min
thank you for your replies everyone

Hey I am a current med student and did the EPQ (on med and got full marks). Its true that the EPQ takes up a lot of time but for me, not taking it wasn't an option because my school made in mandatory. What made it more stressful was the fact that my first draft was due after the summer of Y12. During the summer, most med candidates would revise and sit the UCAT and so having to juggle the EPQ, UCAT prep, work experience, and possibly writing your personal statement, can certainly be stressful (it certainly was for me). However, what made it worth it was that I got to talk about it in my personal statement and during my interviews. For my friend who got a B in her final exam (for one of her subject choices), getting an A* in EPQ helped lower her initial offer and allowed her place to be confirmed on results day anyway. Doing an EPQ on med especially allowed me to find out more about the field at present and where it's heading towards. I know its a lot of work but honestly at times I'm grateful that I had something else to work on (other than normal school stuff) when I was feeling stressed as I was so passionate about the topic I was researching. I was also taking 4 subjects at the time but decided to drop one after Y12 (Chinese). Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending