The Student Room Group

Highers

I want to do medicine at university or dentistry. (Scottish universities and maybe oxbridge). I’m sitting Nat 5 biology, chemistry, physics, English, maths, French and modern studies. I’m not sure what to choose for highers. I’m definitely choosing chemistry, biology, maths, English. However for my last higher I don’t know if I should choose physics or French. I got A in both prelims but for physics it was a borderline A (70%). I’m good at French however will choosing higher French disadvantage me? Some kids at my school are choosing all three sciences so I don’t know. (I need to get AAAAA at higher btw)
Reply 1
Original post by Melissa200
I want to do medicine at university or dentistry. (Scottish universities and maybe oxbridge). I’m sitting Nat 5 biology, chemistry, physics, English, maths, French and modern studies. I’m not sure what to choose for highers. I’m definitely choosing chemistry, biology, maths, English. However for my last higher I don’t know if I should choose physics or French. I got A in both prelims but for physics it was a borderline A (70%). I’m good at French however will choosing higher French disadvantage me? Some kids at my school are choosing all three sciences so I don’t know. (I need to get AAAAA at higher btw)
The four you plan to take are definitely a great choice, for the 5th choice I'd definitely say go with whatever you reckon you can get the A for, maybe have a chat with teachers. Also important to pick something you enjoy too, will be a stressful year and a good class you enjoy and can still do well in is ideal!
Reply 2
Original post by Blue.49
The four you plan to take are definitely a great choice, for the 5th choice I'd definitely say go with whatever you reckon you can get the A for, maybe have a chat with teachers. Also important to pick something you enjoy too, will be a stressful year and a good class you enjoy and can still do well in is ideal!
Thanks that has helped a lot Xx. Just out of curiosity what highers did you choose?
Reply 3
Thanks that has helped a lot Xx. Just out of curiosity what highers did you choose?

Maths, English, chemistry, physics, graphics. During S4 I planned on doing medicine, planning to crash biology in S6 but ended up going down the engineering route
Reply 4
Original post by Blue.49
Maths, English, chemistry, physics, graphics. During S4 I planned on doing medicine, planning to crash biology in S6 but ended up going down the engineering route
How hard is higher physic?
Reply 5
Hi there :smile:
These higher choices look great for medicine! I’m not applying for medicine so I won’t have the most info on requirements - but I’ll say what I know from others.
Physics is definitely a strong choice for medicine - a lot of applicants will have all of the 3 sciences and as you probably know, medicine is competitive. Personally, I’d say physics isn’t that much relevant to medicine, but you would be competing against applicants who do have it. Since you have taken the subject at National 5 level, you’ll have a basic understanding (which I heard is preferred) of the subject, so taking higher isn’t necessary I don’t think!
French on the other hand, will also look great! While it’s not science related, it shows a diversity within your interests and strengths in different areas. Having a qualification in a language is always respected! It could provide you with communication skills, and break down language barriers with patients, which is seen as valuable.

I’d say go for the more fun/easier subject. Whether that be physics or French - it’s important that you won’t overwork yourself. And you could always pick up the other subject later in S6! Good luck ! :biggrin:
Reply 6
How hard is higher physic?

Personally I wouldn't say it was difficult, but It does require a lot a hard work too. I never took a language at higher so couldn't really compare the workload. I sat at a 1 for nat 5 but higher I dropped to a 2 and then ended up with a 3, so if you're currently sitting at about 70 that's also worth considering. Of course that will vary by person though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending