The Student Room Group

WH Smiths Vouchers

I've just recieved some of those annoying gift vouchers from my school, the ones you can only spend on books and stationary. Does anyone know if there is a way to spend these on other things for example could the cashier turn a blind eye or could I buy a book and do an exchange (ideally I would like an iTunes voucher which I can use to get apps for my iPhone).
Well you're not gonna lose anything by trying, but I wouldn't bother buying a book and trying to exchange it because you'll just get a voucher refund. Or you could sell it on ebay, crazily enough people buy them for pretty much face value.
Reply 2
Yeah I thought about selling it on eBay but that's effort LOL. I think I'm just gonna be upfront and ask them instore.
Reply 3
Trade it for shares in Zavvi.
Genii
I've just recieved some of those annoying gift vouchers from my school, the ones you can only spend on books and stationary. Does anyone know if there is a way to spend these on other things for example could the cashier turn a blind eye or could I buy a book and do an exchange (ideally I would like an iTunes voucher which I can use to get apps for my iPhone).

you can buy iTunes vouchers with them!

Every year i have a similar situation as I end up getting a ton from my school so I have worked out a way to buy whatever you want with them.... they are as good as cash!

At Wh smiths you can buy any of the vouchers they sell with them: book tokens, itunes, next - a big branch will sell vouchers for a lot of shops.

Ok so you have your itunes vouchers... what if you want to spend in HMV?

Buy book tokens from whsmith, take the book tokens to waterstones and ask to buy Waterstone's paper vouchers with the book tokens. These vouchers can also be spent in HMV... so voila.
Or ask for a waterstone's gift card which can be used on their website (same price as amazon, free delivery on everything) if you to buy more books for your money.

Hope that helps... as you will probably have gathered this is kinda an annual ritual for me... getting rid of £60 quid of Whsmith vouchers can be a struggle...!
Reply 5
Mr Nonsense
you can buy iTunes vouchers with them!

Every year i have a similar situation as I end up getting a ton from my school so I have worked out a way to buy whatever you want with them.... they are as good as cash!

At Wh smiths you can buy any of the vouchers they sell with them: book tokens, itunes, next - a big branch will sell vouchers for a lot of shops.

Ok so you have your itunes vouchers... what if you want to spend in HMV?

Buy book tokens from whsmith, take the book tokens to waterstones and ask to buy Waterstone's paper vouchers with the book tokens. These vouchers can also be spent in HMV... so voila.
Or ask for a waterstone's gift card which can be used on their website (same price as amazon, free delivery on everything) if you to buy more books for your money.

Hope that helps... as you will probably have gathered this is kinda an annual ritual for me... getting rid of £60 quid of Whsmith vouchers can be a struggle...!

Sorry for kinda hijacking the thread, but does this mean that I could use the achievement reward vouchers from school in shops such as HMV and the clothes shops? Do I just hand them over when paying? :s-smilie:
Ooo'Yeah
Sorry for kinda hijacking the thread, but does this mean that I could use the achievement reward vouchers from school in shops such as HMV and the clothes shops? Do I just hand them over when paying? :s-smilie:

are they vouchers from a specific shop? e.g. whsmiths ones?

you can get vouchers around even more ways than above :tongue:
Reply 7
Mr Nonsense
are they vouchers from a specific shop? e.g. whsmiths ones?

you can get vouchers around even more ways than above :tongue:

Yeah they're WHSmith ones :smile:
Does that mean I can buy other vouchers with them, or go into the other shops and use them? :s-smilie:
Ooo'Yeah
Yeah they're WHSmith ones :smile:
Does that mean I can buy other vouchers with them, or go into the other shops and use them? :s-smilie:

depends what you want to buy... read up ^^
Reply 9
Cool stuff, sorry having a really slow day today :>.<:
Vouchers are only valid on products in store, not on other gift cards. Read terms and conditions on the back :smile: You shouldn't be allowed to buy iTunes because they don't make the company direct profit. Of course if you're lucky enough to get an incompetent cashier you might get away with it.
Reply 11
Quick update! After two attempts I managed to get someone to accept them for a pair of huge speakers... Very educational :smile:
Genii
Quick update! After two attempts I managed to get someone to accept them for a pair of huge speakers... Very educational :smile:

Yeah for those ermm audio revision cds :P
Reply 13
lilangel890
Yeah for those ermm audio revision cds :P

Obviously :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending