The Student Room Group

Advice for A Level English Lit Edexcel (Fast Track 1 Year)

Hi! It's quite a long explanation but in short, I'm going to self study A Level English Lit under the Edexcel starting from July/August ish in 2024 and sit my exams summer of 2025.

I'll have a tutor and doing it fast track online through Oxbridge.

I haven't studied A Level English Lit before however I am doing A Level English Lang right now in Year 13.

I'd really appreciate any advice, although I won't begin till next year I've considered to start my annotating and reading the books/plays now so when I start the course l'll just have to focus mostly on exam technique etc. I won't be able to do it as intensively as I want though as I still have 3 A levels to be sat this summer lol.

I specify edexcel as its the board l'Il be doing it under but if the suggestions are applicable regardless please let me
know.

Id also appreciate any people who've sat it to share with me resources they used and PM (I don’t know if that’s a thing here lmk) some of their writing/ mocks if that's okay? Id honestly be willing to pay too if it's something you've already uploaded as a resource on etsy etc.

Before anyone tries to talk to me out of it, the decision is final and I understand it's going to be extremely difficult. I am yet to get anything below a A-A* throughout GCSE and A Level for English so I know I'm capable of it when I commit.

Thank you!!
Reply 1
Original post by aybenizmv
Hi! It's quite a long explanation but in short, I'm going to self study A Level English Lit under the Edexcel starting from July/August ish in 2024 and sit my exams summer of 2025.

I'll have a tutor and doing it fast track online through Oxbridge.

I haven't studied A Level English Lit before however I am doing A Level English Lang right now in Year 13.

I'd really appreciate any advice, although I won't begin till next year I've considered to start my annotating and reading the books/plays now so when I start the course l'll just have to focus mostly on exam technique etc. I won't be able to do it as intensively as I want though as I still have 3 A levels to be sat this summer lol.

I specify edexcel as its the board l'Il be doing it under but if the suggestions are applicable regardless please let me
know.

Id also appreciate any people who've sat it to share with me resources they used and PM (I don’t know if that’s a thing here lmk) some of their writing/ mocks if that's okay? Id honestly be willing to pay too if it's something you've already uploaded as a resource on etsy etc.

Before anyone tries to talk to me out of it, the decision is final and I understand it's going to be extremely difficult. I am yet to get anything below a A-A* throughout GCSE and A Level for English so I know I'm capable of it when I commit.

Thank you!!

Hiya!! i’m doing AQA English Literature alevel and some resources i use are
-LitCharts (which does have a paid subscription for some of the stuff but last time i had it it was 8.99 a month but you can download the pdfs of notes and they’ll stay on your device so really you only need to buy it once cos the pdf is exactly the same as the website). It covers things like themes, characters, symbols/motifs, quotes+annotations, chapter summaries, timelines etc. highly recommend
-knowunity is a great app where people upload their notes and there’s group chats to discuss subjects or anything really and ask questions
-spark notes and some people buy the york notes books to revise with

For revision i make character sheets with quotes and themes linked to them, mindmaps, summary sheets on things like key chapters or plot points, quote banks and I’ll plan essays. Get familiar with writing practice questions in timed conditions - it was a big issue in my class cos our teachers never made us do essays in class literally once in year 12 and then we were thrown into our mocks, all the essays we’d do were set as homework instead where most people spent all night trying to finish cos we procrastinated lol but you wouldn’t have all that time in an exam

I hope this can be helpful to you, good luck with your exams!! <3

Quick Reply