The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
probably as the rise in his predicted grades show that the teachers think he is capable
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
CoralCoco
My friend applied to Politics in Warwick with grades A-Media D-Politics D-English. He's resitting English and Politics and predicted grades are AAA. Any chance of him getting in?

I would say remote, media is not a subject held in high regard, even if he gets a grade A. Which sadly leaves him with 2 AS D's.
Depends on the strength of other applicants.

Also, depends on his/her previous grades, PS, reference etc...

The thing is, Warwick is one of the best unis in the UK.
Reply 4
Yeah I thought as much. His personal statement is great and the teachers have given great references (they let him read them) but our English teacher decided to leave the course half way through, leaving us with no chance of decent grades. Also I was the only one in the politics class who had an A, most of the class failed, the exam question was very misleading, you either had it completely wrong or completely right. He had A's in the first set of AS levels, and probably will get A's in these next ones.

I guess you pay for it badly if you mess up just a little bit.
Zilch. Unless there are genuine mitigating circumstances - though you haven't indicated any .
Reply 6
Assuming the Ds at AS are listed on the application, and I can't remember if they have to be or not, I'd say at best pretty low chances really. The fact that Media Studies is one of the three subjects will go down badly. Also, does he not have a 4th AS grade?
Reply 7
The 4th AS grade is the Welsh Baccalauriate. (spelling). This goes down very well with Universities, on all my offers, the Universities have said that I need AAA, but if I pass the Welsh Bac, I can get in with just BBB/ABB.

Uhh He is listed on the "gifted and talented" list at school if that helps? :tongue:
CoralCoco
My friend applied to Politics in Warwick with grades A-Media D-Politics D-English. He's resitting English and Politics and predicted grades are AAA. Any chance of him getting in?

What is the entry requirement for the course?x
CoralCoco
The 4th AS grade is the Welsh Baccalauriate. (spelling). This goes down very well with Universities, on all my offers, the Universities have said that I need AAA, but if I pass the Welsh Bac, I can get in with just BBB/ABB.

Uhh He is listed on the "gifted and talented" list at school if that helps? :tongue:

They dont care about gifted and talented whatsover, i didnt even mention it on my statement/reference as the teachers really dont care, its all about grades at the end of the day..
sorry for the blonde moment but what is the welsh baccalauriate?? x
Reply 10
The Welsh Bac is just some course that counts as an extra A level and lowers requirement grades for uni's (both in england and wales).

Personally I think it is terrible, as do alll the students at school.

You have to make powerpoints that you already know how to make, give speeches which nobody ever does (the teacher just signs that you have done it), do voluntary work outside of school, do an in-school programme to help younger students, plan an imaginary holiday....etcetc...

But I guess unis think it must be helpful....
Reply 11
mizzsnazzter
What is the entry requirement for the course?x

It'll probably be AABc these days, was AABb when I applied for entry in '06.
Reply 12
The standard offer is AABc but I think the competition is pretty tough. I read on the site there is something like 11-14 applicants for every place for history and joint school places and there will inevitably be a substancial amount of self selection for a uni like Warwick prior to application.

That said I think a lot of it is down to luck, a friend of mine (old primary school mate, now attending a selective state grammar) got 10 A*'s, 1 A at GCSE and four strong A's at AS (297 in politics) and got rejected within a week of sending his application off. My grades weren't as strong as his (at GCSE at least - 7A*s, 3 A's and AS 3 A's 1 B) but I got an offer within a month.

I doubt this is much use to you, but I guess it just shows that even the strongest of candidates are missing out so it must be significantly down to luck, don't fret therefore if an offer doesn't turn up.
CoralCoco

i don't understand how the teacher thought he would be capable of getting AA when he got DD at As level.............. things like that annoy me so much :mad:. Is your friend you by the way? because why the hell do you even care whether or not he gets in? Depends on if he's/you've stated your module grades and if they phone his/your school to find out
Reply 14
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
i don't understand how the teacher thought he would be capable of getting AA when he got DD at As level.............. things like that annoy me so much :mad:. Is your friend you by the way? because why the hell do you even care whether or not he gets in? Depends on if he's/you've stated your module grades and if they phone his/your school to find out

No it isn't me. Perhaps I am writing this on his behalf?

People are so damn rude on here.

And I explained why he got D's. English teacher leaving the course...etcetc...
CoralCoco

And I explained why he got D's. English teacher leaving the course...etcetc...

does that matter? some people have taught themselves subjects and gotten As........

Latest