The Student Room Group

Anyone got into UCL with B for Maths?

Hi, I'm currently predicted BBB for A2 Maths, Chemistry and Psychology and B for AS Italian. The only course that I really want to do at university next year is Maths with Modern Languages at UCL. I'm also considering similar courses at other universities but they only do European Languages and not Modern Languages. With this UCL degree, you are able to switch between languages after each term and I really want to learn Italian and Japanese.

However, it's entry requirements are AAA-ABB (I think). I have e-mailed UCL and they have told me that they are very unlikely to offer me an interview unless I'm predicted an A. I know that predictions are just predictions and it's what your final grades that count.

I got 75 (D1), 76 (P1) and 56 (S1) and resitting my S1 in June. I'm sure I will do much better in that one since I will have already finished S2. If I get a high enough grade, I should end up with an A grade in my AS and therefore, have a better chance of getting an A in my A2. I'm also attending these LSE Saturday schools for Maths for the year. However, my teachers will still predict me a B and they say I'm actually lucky to be predicted a B.

Are the chances of UCL lowering their offer to BBB (which is probably 0.0001%!) or maybe even offer me ABB but the A in a different subject since I should easily be able to convince my Psychology teachers to predict me an A since I got an A (264/300) in my AS.

If they decide to not offer me an interview and a place but I still manage to get Maths (A), Psychology (A) and Chemistry (B), would they consider me by then? I have a feeling that it's most unlikely since UCL are always oversubscribed.

Anyways, can anyone tell me if they have got into a really good uni like Oxbridge, LSE or UCL before with a grade lower than the entry requirements? Even if it's not Maths, I would be really interested.

Oh well, I'm prepared for a huge disappointment...
Reply 1
Unregistered!!!
Hi, I'm currently predicted BBB for A2 Maths, Chemistry and Psychology and B for AS Italian. The only course that I really want to do at university next year is Maths with Modern Languages at UCL. I'm also considering similar courses at other universities but they only do European Languages and not Modern Languages. With this UCL degree, you are able to switch between languages after each term and I really want to learn Italian and Japanese.

However, it's entry requirements are AAA-ABB (I think). I have e-mailed UCL and they have told me that they are very unlikely to offer me an interview unless I'm predicted an A. I know that predictions are just predictions and it's what your final grades that count.

I got 75 (D1), 76 (P1) and 56 (S1) and resitting my S1 in June. I'm sure I will do much better in that one since I will have already finished S2. If I get a high enough grade, I should end up with an A grade in my AS and therefore, have a better chance of getting an A in my A2. I'm also attending these LSE Saturday schools for Maths for the year. However, my teachers will still predict me a B and they say I'm actually lucky to be predicted a B.

Are the chances of UCL lowering their offer to BBB (which is probably 0.0001%!) or maybe even offer me ABB but the A in a different subject since I should easily be able to convince my Psychology teachers to predict me an A since I got an A (264/300) in my AS.

If they decide to not offer me an interview and a place but I still manage to get Maths (A), Psychology (A) and Chemistry (B), would they consider me by then? I have a feeling that it's most unlikely since UCL are always oversubscribed.

Anyways, can anyone tell me if they have got into a really good uni like Oxbridge, LSE or UCL before with a grade lower than the entry requirements? Even if it's not Maths, I would be really interested.

If I where you, I would resit all of AS modules, cause they are grade B's. A2 is a loottttttttttttttttttt harder, trust me. Its better to get more marks at AS, and a lot easier too.
Reply 2
When you get your results, like ABB instead of AAB, they might let you in. However some universities wont let you in, if you miss the grade by like on grade, due to the demand for the course.
Reply 3
Heres my story - Applied to do economics and maths at UCL, went to the interview (informal) and got made an offer of ABB (with the A in maths)

Put it down as my insurance, got actual gradea of AAB (with the B in maths) which didn't meet the offer. Rung them up and asked them to let me in - they said no.

So if i only missed by one grade, I think it's unlikely you would get in with BBB, I think you would have to be predicted at least an A in maths to have any chance.
UCL's A level average entry for Maths in 2001 was 27.7points (28 points = AAB). So for every person they took with AAA (and there are likely to be a good few) they took a student with ABB.

It's possible they would take you with lower grades - but to get the offer in the first place you would need the higher prediction, they would make a standard offer and you would have to rely on luck that they would accept you even if you didn't achieve the predicted grades/offer.

If you don't recieve an offer and do better than expected you would have to take a yr out and apply post-results to get into UCL (for some courses/uni's it's possible to get released from your firmly accepted uni and get a place on a more competetive course/uni through clearing...but in UCL's place it's very unlikely they would be looking for students for maths still)
Reply 5
Sorry to say, but...it's going to require a considerable degree of luck. I would never recommend applying to any of the top universities with predicted grades that are lower than what they ask you. Usually, if you want a good chance, you must have 1/2 grades higher than what they ask for.

Best thing for you to do is go to the Times' webpage, on the university guide, go to 'subject tables'. On those tables it gives you a listing of the grades *actually* obtained, on average at the respective departments. If you look in the region of 24 points, then I would imagine your ABB/BBB prediction would suffice. If the departmental average is higher than 26, particularly 28...then, needless to say it'd require a an immense degree of good fortunate to get the offer with a prediction of BBB.

DO NOT only look at the typical univ. offer, this can sometimes be a very misleading figure. It's actual grades (as the Times provides in its data) that's relevant. After all, a university can ask for diamonds, silk or fried chicken, what matters is what it actually gets.

Best of Luck.

J.S.
Reply 6
Unregistered!!!

Jediknight, BBB are still a set of good grades. I think you need to understand this, and also that there's plenty of other great universities besides UCL. Basically, work as hard as possible if I were you and suprise your teachers, that's the only way you're going to get in.
Reply 7
Petrozzi
Jediknight, BBB are still a set of good grades. I think you need to understand this, and also that there's plenty of other great universities besides UCL. Basically, work as hard as possible if I were you and suprise your teachers, that's the only way you're going to get in.

I totally agree. Dont get your heart set on UCL. BBB is a good set of grades and you could still get into good unis with it. Of course, try out for it on your UCAS form, but dont be too knocked by it if you dont get in. I would say your chances look pretty slim (im sure they wouldn't take anyone in with lower than an A predicted for A2 Maths) - and considering you got a C for AS level maths, it doesnt look promising since a2 modules are notoriously harder, esp P3 ... but you never know!
Reply 8
I am a student at UCL and my offer was ABB (as it is for many subjects here.) An A in maths is only important if ur degree is mathematical eg economics /maths / physics / accounting / chemistry perhaps... but if ur doing something that requires no mathematical skills, they will not require an A in maths. I know because my course is not math-based and a lot of my friends got Bs for maths and still got in.
Reply 9
loftx
Heres my story - Applied to do economics and maths at UCL, went to the interview (informal) and got made an offer of ABB (with the A in maths)

Put it down as my insurance, got actual gradea of AAB (with the B in maths) which didn't meet the offer. Rung them up and asked them to let me in - they said no.

So if i only missed by one grade, I think it's unlikely you would get in with BBB, I think you would have to be predicted at least an A in maths to have any chance.

hey wot did they ask u at ur interview...ne thing really mathsy?!?1?!?!
Reply 10
Not everyone needs an A in Maths A-level, i've been accepted for the Mechanical Engineering program and I only have a B in my maths ( yeh i missed the A by 8 points) I took my maths Alevel a Year early taking P1,P2,P3,M1,M2,M3 in 12th grade (lower 6th) and if anyone is planning on taking M3 good luck!!! All my papers were A grades appart from M3 which was 49% ( thats an E i think) so if i had taken S1 instead i might have got the A i wanted

Anyway, the point of this is that i don't think everyone needs to have an A to go to UCL...

Emma
Reply 11
dormonkey
Anyway, the point of this is that i don't think everyone needs to have an A to go to UCL...

No, but if you want to study Maths at UCL then I think an A is vital and paramount! To be honest if you are not at A-Standard at AS level already then you are not going to get an offer to study Maths at the top universities - ie. cams/oxf/london - but you could still get an offer at some good universities. You need to ask yourself the question "if i can't get v.high marks at AS levels, how can I at A2 and then study a degree in the subject at one of Britain's best Uni's?". Also, the questions they'll ask you at interview will be beyond A2 level (or at least indirectly above it, they may contain some A2 principles) and if you aren't getting v.v.v.high marks in P1 you won't be able to answer them.

You NEED to resit all of your modules, not just S1 as your D1 & P1 marks are B's like someone else pointed out, and if you can't get an A in them, then it's unlikely you'll get an A in P2 or especially P3!

Don't set your heart on UCL, especially if you haven't looked around other uni's. It would be far better for you to apply to place where you do stand a chance of at least being interviewed and ultimately accepted and where you enjoy your degree because you don't feel like you are struggling.

Good Luck! :smile:
Reply 12
I'd say you would have to resit them all.

If you only got 75 in p1 ( although a good mark) you WILL score lower in p2 and p3!

Resitting all 3 is your best bet! ( i think 85 in all 3 modules at AS is a good bet) means you can afford to get 75 in the A2's
Reply 13
Unregistered!!!

Reply 14
although the minimum grade requirements for maths at UCL are around ABB-ABB. In order to actually be secure in getting a place AAB is the minimum you should be getting in your A-levels. secondly maths at a-level is essential upto a grade A and without this you stand very little or even no chance of getting in regardless of whether the other subjects are at grade A. In this situation you marks are still good and you still have a chance of doing maths at other unis providing you get a B at A-level. If you do wish to go to UCL i recommend redoing all your modules and getting close to 100% for p1,s1 and d1 because it is very easily possible. I suggest you get all the past papers and work through textbooks of questions which are of an exam style nature. just remember you can do nethin u put ur mind too, and its never too late, so get workin now, and start practisin until the ideas of these AS modules come to u naturally.

Latest