The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gummers
I picked Lambert, Fairfield and Grosvenor St Building :smile:
I've heard it's hard to get into L&F too :eek:
To be honest, I think I'd be happy with anything as long as it's close to my lecture rooms.

I think a couple of your choices are not oversubscribed at all, so you should be fine.

if you get a Fallowfield hall, be happy anyway - the bus to uni is not too bad :smile:
I've spent my 1st year at Whitworth park, city campus - SO boring. I had to go to Fallowfield to go out and pre-drink with my friends and my location just meant 30 extra minutes of sleep compared to those who live in Fallowfield :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Aemiliana
I've got to say, I'm yet to meet someone who did get any of their choices, let alone their first. However, it's mainly simple things like wanting a basin and not getting one.

I got my first choice as well :smile:
Original post by trouble-trouble

I think a couple of your choices are not oversubscribed at all, so you should be fine.

if you get a Fallowfield hall, be happy anyway - the bus to uni is not too bad :smile:
I've spent my 1st year at Whitworth park, city campus - SO boring. I had to go to Fallowfield to go out and pre-drink with my friends and my location just meant 30 extra minutes of sleep compared to those who live in Fallowfield :smile:

I didn't find whitworth boring at all. I guess it depends on the people you live with and the people you hang out with.
I didn't find whitworth boring at all. I guess it depends on the people you live with and the people you hang out with.

well WPRA itself hasnt done that much for us apart from the gym costing £3 a year, a trip to Amsterdam (yeah, the one that is being offered by any hall and by lots of societies like MathSoc, BAEcon and ManSoc) and a quite lame Whitfest. bar prices are pretty low too, but OP bar is in the same price range.

you can have a blast at any hall if you live with the right people, the hall itself is quite lame - no decent shops around (tesco express, lidl and sainsbury's local are missing lots of products), the kitchens in some girl flats dont have any windows (so it gets really smelly sometimes) and the fire alarms dont work properly, sharing a bathroom with 8 people is not fun at all.

the only good bit is the location, but it doesnt matter really once you realise that Fallowfield guys enjoy more shops/cafes/facilities/events and generally have a more socially enhanced life.

well WPRA itself hasnt done that much for us apart from the gym costing £3 a year, a trip to Amsterdam (yeah, the one that is being offered by any hall and by lots of societies like MathSoc, BAEcon and ManSoc) and a quite lame Whitfest. bar prices are pretty low too, but OP bar is in the same price range.

you can have a blast at any hall if you live with the right people, the hall itself is quite lame - no decent shops around (tesco express, lidl and sainsbury's local are missing lots of products), the kitchens in some girl flats dont have any windows (so it gets really smelly sometimes) and the fire alarms dont work properly, sharing a bathroom with 8 people is not fun at all.

the only good bit is the location, but it doesnt matter really once you realise that Fallowfield guys enjoy more shops/cafes/facilities/events and generally have a more socially enhanced life.

TBH, I don't care about arranged social events - there are uni societies and stuff to do with friends etc. I don't really see why people need that sport of stuff, it won't be there when you move out. I dunno, I guess some people like that kind of stuff though.

I'll admit I was lucky with the flat I got, but at the price and location (which removes pretty much any travels costs) you can't really argue with it. And there's a massive Asda really close by.
And there's a massive Asda really close by.

Where?
Original post by pomme de terre

Original post by pomme de terre
Where?

On Princess Road in Moss Side/Hulme
I would really love to learn Mandarin at University... are there free lessons offered by UofM?
Original post by the_neg_master_
I would really love to learn Mandarin at University... are there free lessons offered by UofM?

http://www.ulc.manchester.ac.uk/languages/leap/

You can take them for free if you have spare credits available (Free choice option) but otherwise you have to pay for them ... 150 Pounds / Semester
Original post by franicle33
i got dalton ellis... anyone here going to be there?

I ll be in Dalton-Ellis too in MA :biggrin: .. Which block ?
Reply 1611
Which hall is likely to be labeld the worst most 'Rahh' or 'Scrummy'

Im not after living with arrongant types who have no sense of grounding or comprehension of the real world. Neither am i after the Ibiza club types and their orange faces.
I'm studying music in September, I'm relatively artistic and have spent a year at a conservatoire studying in London in my gap year. I've become acclimatised to a smaller closer knit community of students and I'm concerned that living in one of the larger halls will either turn out to be totally isolating or greatly rewarding in light of a community atmosphere.

In your experiences, (those of you have frequented the various different halls in Manchester), which set ups have you found to most sociable, catered or non catered.

Id like to meet as many people as I can, and be able to sustain a close friendship group at the time time. Do you find that a shared kitchen limits you to the number of people that you see on a close regular basis

Will my experience be limited at all by choosing to live in the Victoria park campus?
I was thinking perhaps Dalton Ellis Hall or Hulme Hall.....

could you give me a brief of the 'generic' student their if their is one??

I enjoy an active social life and go out at least three times a week, Pubs, bars, real ale houses, theatres, live music, picnics, evening meals, that sort of vibe.

Clubs and screaming drunk girls make me feel a bit out of it. Never the less I love my drink, a good time, brilliant humour and intelligent conversation...

I'm interested in Literature, music, theatre, languages, running, swimming, and so on

I understand its never right really to socially stereotype but I really need to get an exact feel as to what to expect from each Hall if I'm to go on and make the right decision : )

thanks guys. :colondollar:
Reply 1612
Hi I was wondering I will be studying linguistics and social anthropology, but I have to decide my accommodation. I want to go for self catered, and maybe close to my classes?

Also i noticed that some residences only have wire internet, and not wireless, does anyone know which accomodation has wireless?

Thank you!!
Reply 1613
Just got an offer for bowden court.. not very happy about it.. WHAT should i do??

are there any good things about it? other than being near uni, or is it just reallly bad socially?
Reply 1614
Any insights into maple court? :smile:

Original post by mhlc
Just got an offer for bowden court.. not very happy about it.. WHAT should i do??

are there any good things about it? other than being near uni, or is it just reallly bad socially?

Can't do much about it. At the end of the day, it's a roof over your head. It's super close to loads of lecture halls etc and if you're not happy with the social life there (which relies on the people, not the building) then make it different with coursemates etc.
Just got confirmed my first choice accommodation after getting my IB results! I thought they would wait until a-level results to make it all fair. Really happy :biggrin:
I got posted to Fairfield hall after applying to weston, richmond park, sheavyn, bit confuddled. I was aiming weston but if I didn't get it I wanted to go to a fallowfield hall

anyone know anything about fairfield?
Reply 1618
Ok, so I just got my accommodation offer and I want to ask you a few things:

1) How is Gronsvenor Place (socially speaking) and where is it located (I know it's City Campus, but is it close to interesting buildings/shops and stuff like that)

2) What does room 01.BC.10 mean? I mean, what's the room number, floor and what is "BC"?

3) How big are rooms at Gronsvenor Place? I really don't want to live in a room as large as a bathroom... Please post some pictures if you have, that would really help.

Thank you so much, please don't say it's an awful hall couse you'll distroy all my dreams and hopes hahaha kidding
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1619
Hi i'm looking for advice on which Halls to apply for.
It wll be my first year in Uni at Manchester (studying archaeology), and well i would like a hall with a good social life (and if possible an en-suite). I don't mind the distance from the actual university so long as it is reasonable. Oh and i really want to have that wicked "first Uni year experience" (if you know what i'm saying).

I hear Owen's Park is the best Hall socially but I highly doubt I will get a place there (knowing my luck and seeing how popular it is).

So i was wondering what people though about richmond Park or Oak House or any other suggestions.

Cheers
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending