The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

EdenProject91
Hi,

-I got an offer for Bristol Economics too (AAA)
-Got 2A*s 6As and 1 B
-At AS, got AABB in Geography, Business, Maths and Spanish
-Predicted AAA, do lots of sports, had a PS about Economics/Business
-Got offers from Bristol, Exeter and Birmingham.. still waiting on Warwick and Durham

Firstly, EdenProject, well done! Bristol is a great result, even if Warwick reject you! Just quickly want to say that 'do lots of sports' does not get you an offer :p: Somebody in my school plays county level tennis and has been in international athletics competitions (in addition to 10 A*s at GCSE, AAAAA at AS Level) and they got rejected. So the mystery continues :smile:

-Bristol accepted me because I completely match their requirements: grades, good PS, humanities, maths, etc.

Thing is, lots of people match or even surpass their requirements (yes, you have very good grades, but people with OUTSTANDING grades got rejected. And Paulwhy thinks FM is needed, not just Maths (I have Maths and humanities). Oh and everyone thinks their PS is great :smile:

-I am a bit surprised that more academic people got rejected

Aren't we all! But still, getting the offer is fantastic, I wouldn't worry about other people :smile:

-I did not apply to Oxbridge, and so they probably think that Bristol will be one of my top choices (making it a firm.. not an INSURANCE) .. I reckon they are worried that a lot of these better candidates who have applied before the Oct 15th deadline = Oxbridge candidate.. will not pick it as a firm.. they will put Oxbridge as their firm.. Bristol doesn't want to feel minor/not as gd to Oxbridge maybe ... well in reality... they arent even in the same calibre as Oxbridge/LSE but they are still up there.

I do think this theory seems the most plausible currently. As much as RyanT might like to claim its due to various absurd explanations, it does seem very odd that dozens of Oxbridge offer holders are seen as unworthy by Bristol. Who knows.

-If u applied to Bristol and it was one of your bottom choices (back-up/insurance) and you got rejected, then you are an idiot because the typical offer is AAA - its stupid u wud put it as an insurance! lol Its EXTREMELY risky yea?!

It was my 'bottom' choice, as in the one I'd least like to go to, but Warwick has AAB entry requirements, so that's my insurance (Oxford, LSE, UCL all AAA - a silly thing to do, but luckily it didn't cost me!).

-I am sooo HAPPY that they gave me an offer.. I am soo grateful.. cuz I am expecting a rejection from Warwick.. so Bristol will be my firm and Birmingham will be my insurance (ABB).

Well done again! I got rejected but it makes me happy to see people get offers who definitely deserve to go there; you seem like one of those people! Best of luck!
To add some fuel to the fire, I applied before the Oxbridge deadline with an average/good PS, 6A*s, 3As and 2Bs at GCSE, AAAA at AS, and was rejected by Oxford (never felt I was honestly going to get in), and I got my offer within 2 days of my interview (AAB for Chemistry).
It seems I would fit into this nice applying-to-but-not-getting-into-Oxbridge niche that seems to be developing.
Maybe we all find out their rationale once we begin, but are sworn to secrecy..
Congratulations to all those who are successful.
Reply 62
Zack_Morris_Fan
Well I'm just going to ignore/skip over all these random/ridiculous arguments that are going on and say

-I have applied for Bristol for Economics and Finance
-I do Maths, Further Maths, Business Studies and Geography- AAAA at AS
-I've never studied Economics before
-My personal statement wasn't particularly outstanding as I really don't know that much about the subject
-I have offers from Bath, Sheffield, Manchester and Leeds
-I still haven't been rejected from Bristol

Does anyone have any idea why a candidate like me appears to be still hanging in there when better candidates have been rejected?

I know you don't do econ at A-level but you do have both FM and a humanity (which are factors I mentioned in my opening post).
Reply 63
Pi
Paulwhy
I know you don't do econ at A-level but you do have both FM and a humanity (which are factors I mentioned in my opening post).

That is true, but surely they are more likely to accept people who actually have at least some knowledge about the course.
But thank you.
Reply 65
Zack_Morris_Fan
That is true, but surely they are more likely to accept people who actually have at least some knowledge about the course.
But thank you.

Yes econ is better than business studies. But no uni has econ as mandatory, and they will accept bus as a substitute.
1. Majority of people in this thread who have been rejected by Bristol's Economics course are not a representative of the entire population who applied there. It's great that their grades were good and unfortunate that they were rejected, but this is by no means enough evidence to suggest that Bristol rejects "better" candidates.

2. You need to realise that Bristol takes up A LOT of international students [mostly from China...] in this department. So you are competing with them too, you might be just as good as them, but remember they are paying MORE fees than you are, and as we know it universities do want to make money too so this could be a deciding factor.

3. There are still a lot of students from private/grammar schools [more than I had expected], but there are also many from state schools. Perhaps there is more emphasis on students from a not so great educational background - due to the disputes which happened in the past about Bristol rejecting too many candidates from state schools.

4. There is a huge emphasis on Mathematics [and preferable further maths too]

5. There are a lot of talented students [and Oxbridge rejects...] as well as those who make you wonder how on earth they got an offer. There is a mixture of both.

6. It is not always about your grades - many candidates who apply there will have similar grades, similar A2 predictions etc. It could be one thing you mentioned in your PS that put them off, it could be something in your reference that was not convincing enough.

7. They do not take many students, so there isn't a place for EVERYONE. Some will be rejected and some will be accepted. In rare cases, they will interview so it's not always the case that they'll base their decision solely on grades.

8. It is a very competitive subject so a lot of "outstanding" candidates do apply so even if one believes that they are brilliant, there will be someone better than them.
Reply 67
Thanks to Eternity for posting.
(for those of you who do not know (or did not infer it from the post) she is an economics students at Bristol).

Interesting post. Any idea why they take so few students?
Is it down to the department being so small?
Eternity Forever
1. Majority of people in this thread who have been rejected by Bristol's Economics course are not a representative of the entire population who applied there. It's great that their grades were good and unfortunate that they were rejected, but this is by no means enough evidence to suggest that Bristol rejects "better" candidates.

2. You need to realise that Bristol takes up A LOT of international students [mostly from China...] in this department. So you are competing with them too, you might be just as good as them, but remember they are paying MORE fees than you are, and as we know it universities do want to make money too so this could be a deciding factor.

3. There are still a lot of students from private/grammar schools [more than I had expected], but there are also many from state schools. Perhaps there is more emphasis on students from a not so great educational background - due to the disputes which happened in the past about Bristol rejecting too many candidates from state schools.

4. There is a huge emphasis on Mathematics [and preferable further maths too]

5. There are a lot of talented students [and Oxbridge rejects...] as well as those who make you wonder how on earth they got an offer. There is a mixture of both.

6. It is not always about your grades - many candidates who apply there will have similar grades, similar A2 predictions etc. It could be one thing you mentioned in your PS that put them off, it could be something in your reference that was not convincing enough.

7. They do not take many students, so there isn't a place for EVERYONE. Some will be rejected and some will be accepted. In rare cases, they will interview so it's not always the case that they'll base their decision solely on grades.

8. It is a very competitive subject so a lot of "outstanding" candidates do apply so even if one believes that they are brilliant, there will be someone better than them.

Thank you, Eternity. I find your post much more calm, sensible and balanced than some others in this topic. I think I'll leave the matter alone now.
Reply 69
Deipnosophist123
Thank you, Eternity. I find your post much more calm, sensible and balanced than some others in this topic. I think I'll leave the matter alone now.

She has the twins advantages of doing economics at Bristol. This enables her to remain calm, sensible and balanced.
Reply 70
Paulwhy
Given the recent rejection by Bristol of candidates with Oxbridge offers, I decided to investigate.This is the edited highlights of the UCAS Bristol Economics Entry Profile, plus my comments:
indicate high value on FM?

Good stuff to show in PS.

Variable offer, less places than many other unis.

Want humanities as well as maths? High value on History/Geography/Languages at AS/A-level?

want evidemce of moving beyond A-level Econ?

Hence possible reasons for rejection that may be more likely than you think:
1)lack of essay based subjects at AS/A-level.
2)Lack of Humanities subjects at AS/A-level.
3)Lack of FM

(I think would not count Economics A-level as an essay based subject. i.e. it includes other forms of assessment as well. e.g. Multiple-choice, calculations, short questions).

Also check out the Economics School admissions guide:
http://www.efm.bris.ac.uk/prospective_undergraduate/admissions/2008_SchoolAdmissionsStatement.pdf

Dam! I wanted to do Economics at Bristol. But my AS-levels are Economics,Maths,Politics & Philosophy. Would you say its best to try and pick-up AS-level F.Maths next year?
Amit92
Dam! I wanted to do Economics at Bristol. But my AS-levels are Economics,Maths,Politics & Philosophy. Would you say its best to try and pick-up AS-level F.Maths next year?

Why not pick up the full A level? At our college you do maths in one year, then FM in the next year. In fact, that's how it is at most.
Reply 72
Clements-
Why not pick up the full A level? At our college you do maths in one year, then FM in the next year. In fact, that's how it is at most.

Ours is different you do...

C1,C2 and 1 of S1/M1/D1 and then if you do F.maths you do FP1 and 2 of S1/M1/D1.

Im currently doing C1,C2,S1 so next year I will do C3,C4,S2,FP1,D1,M1 hopefully.
Amit92
Ours is different you do...

C1,C2 and 1 of S1/M1/D1 and then if you do F.maths you do FP1 and 2 of S1/M1/D1.

Im currently doing C1,C2,S1 so next year I will do C3,C4,S2,FP1,D1,M1 hopefully.

Could you not pick up C3, C4 and another applied this year? I'm teaching myself an extra 3 modules between now and June.
Reply 74
Amit92

Well it depends on the opportunity cost.
Reply 75
Paulwhy
Well it depends on the opportunity cost.

The cost is dropping Philosophy and just having an AS in it.
Reply 76
Amit92
The cost is dropping Philosophy and just having an AS in it.

Then it is probably worth doing it as:
i)FM is very highly valued
ii)More breadth is good.
Reply 77
New question in TAELT explaining why Bristol is now in a seperate group:
Why is Bristol in the separate AAB.1.0 group?
Well given:
i) how many students with top 5 offers were rejected by Bristol this cycle (08/09)
ii)that Bristol were AAA in 2007 and that they are the only uni out of all 61 to go for a lower offer during the last 2 years. Suggests Bristol would still clear at AAA.
iii)that Bristol are making a number of AAA offers
Hence it seemed sensible to reflect this by giving it a more competitive group than the other AAB.1.1 unis.
really sorry to be a pain but when is the last actual day that bristol can reply?
or is there nothing official and most reply by march?
Reply 79
Zack_Morris_Fan
really sorry to be a pain but when is the last actual day that bristol can reply?
or is there nothing official and most reply by march?

31st March 2009: "Universities and colleges should aim to have sent decisions on all applications received by 15 January. "

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/importantdates

Latest

Trending

Trending