The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

stratomaster
Sorry! I didn't mean what I said... really :biggrin:

i'm feeling generous today, so ill let it go :rolleyes: :p:
Kivin
lol yeah I did the same, got high A's for the essay ones, and a low C for the maths/science one.

Can the maths paper really be that hard.... I mean our teacher makes it sound so simple, for example, last week we watched 'Donald Duck - Mathematics Land' :eek:

RosinHan
My school doesn't even offer it because they view it as a waste of time!

Isnt GS a compulsory subject though :confused: We have only 3 lessons a fortnight....
We have it comp. also, but we do all 6 modules in the January of our A2 year, after having one lesson a week since September!! (Which not many people went too :P)

Lots of people got an A overall though (incl. me) which is pretty good considering we had loadsa real exams to worry about in January :smile:

They cram it in because we have compulsory Critical Thinking ( :cool: NOT) at AS to worry (or not) about!!!
Reply 43
I'm 36 and I am taking GS to get some extra qualifications. I've already passed the first 4 papers with relative ease. However, I *did* have to work for them. I used the Letts Guides and made sure I kept up-to-date with the news. I've read most of the criticisms about GS and whilst it's not a perfect subject (yet?) I feel it does have a lot of value. It encourages you to THINK about issues, form an opinion on them and try to present that opinion in a clear and balanced fashion. There are not many subjects out there that encourage this. It could be argued that certain subjects like History & Maths are nothing more than glorified memory tests. If you've revised and learnt the facts and formulas completely, you shouldn't have any trouble answering any question put in front of you. However, with GS, how can you revise for a subject that might ask you to argue for the abolition of prisons? Obviously, you can't so you have to think for yourself. You have to try and imagine what life would be like without prisons. Why do we have them? Is there an alternative? What would be the result of closing them all?

Being able to present an idea or an opinion in a clear and convincing fashion is a skill that will give you a far greater benefit in life than being able to prove f (a + h) = f (a) + hf'(c)
I got 100% in 5/6 of the modules, even in the politics paper and i have never had any lessons in this. our school also didn't give us any gs lessons. we just turned up
Ginolard
It could be argued that certain subjects like History & Maths are nothing more than glorified memory tests. If you've revised and learnt the facts and formulas completely, you shouldn't have any trouble answering any question put in front of you.

Well..you could argue that - it's certainly true that you need to be historically accurate to back up any claims you make, but to call a History examination nothing more than a 'glorified memory test' is unfair! It is about application of existing knowledge to a new concept or query, especially with the synoptic paper at A2. Just listing dates/people/events etc probably wouldn't even scrape a pass!
This is taken from http://www.edexcel.org.uk/qualifications/QualificationAward.aspx?id=48523 the report by examining body Edexcel challenges some of your comments. It refers to what is needed to secure a high grade in History, and simply repeating facts learnt by rote doesn't appear anywhere:

*Sub-question (c) is intended to assess candidates’ skills in cross-referencing for a purpose.
*Sub-question (d) is intended to assess candidates’ skills in determining the use of two sources for a specific historical task.

and for the extended questions requiring specific knowledge:

*Candidates were expected to use two specific sources and their own knowledge in responding to sub-question (e). Most candidates managed to meld sources and contextual knowledge, albeit with varying degrees of success, with some candidates clearly using the sources as a quarry for information on the topic that they did not themselves have. Nevertheless, examiners reported having marked excellent answers, with the sources used appropriately and skilfully blended in with the candidate’s own knowledge to create a sustained argument.
Ginolard
It could be argued that certain subjects like History & Maths are nothing more than glorified memory tests. If you've revised and learnt the facts and formulas completely, you shouldn't have any trouble answering any question put in front of you. However, with GS, how can you revise for a subject that might ask you to argue for the abolition of prisons? Obviously, you can't so you have to think for yourself.

Right, I take all 3 A levels you've mentioned there - Maths, History and General Studies.

It is absolute rubbish to argue that subjects such as Maths and History do not require as much independent thought as general studies. In Mathematics, the questions are deliberately slanted and varied so that you have to think rigorously about what you are doing, especially in pure and mechanics modules. Admittedly, there is a slight difference with statistics as there is some "number crunching", but certainly you have to understand what you are doing - you simply can't rote learn a method and hope it comes up in the exams. The exams are deliberately set to avoid this. If you think that Mathematics is nothing more than a glorified memory test, try P3 integration (advanced calculus), and you'll soon discover that it is of the utmost importance to understand the whole A level - it uses a number of techniques previously learned but have to be completely re-applied to other chapters.

With regards to History, as White_Redrose has mentioned, you can't just string a load of dates and facts together from memory and call it an essay. It is important to develop a coherant, logical and balanced argument incorporating all of your knowledge over the essay period, and that requires detailed understanding and evaluation of what you have learned, and not simply memory recall.

Your argument about general studies requiring independent thought has some merit, but to compare it as equal or superior to other subjects is ludicrous. General studies does not require any strong application of knowledge, and therefore has low standards. You can simply write any ramble of relevant information, and so long as it is balanced it will gain a good mark. The credibility of the subject is therefore pretty low.
Reply 47
saiyamana
Can the maths paper really be that hard.... I mean our teacher makes it sound so simple, for example, last week we watched 'Donald Duck - Mathematics Land' :eek:

Well I always found maths quite difficult (though I did scrape an A at GCSE after re-taking from a B), but the science part of this paper annoyed me so I guessed most of it.
General Studies is one of those subjects that you can't actually work for or have lessons for really as anything could be asked...In Jan so many people I know did awful as they didn't have a clue what religious fundamentalism was so couldn't really answer the questions too well!!
Lottelo
Right, I take all 3 A levels you've mentioned there - Maths, History and General Studies.

It is absolute rubbish to argue that subjects such as Maths and History do not require as much independent thought as general studies. In Mathematics, the questions are deliberately slanted and varied so that you have to think rigorously about what you are doing, especially in pure and mechanics modules. Admittedly, there is a slight difference with statistics as there is some "number crunching", but certainly you have to understand what you are doing - you simply can't rote learn a method and hope it comes up in the exams. The exams are deliberately set to avoid this. If you think that Mathematics is nothing more than a glorified memory test, try P3 integration (advanced calculus), and you'll soon discover that it is of the utmost importance to understand the whole A level - it uses a number of techniques previously learned but have to be completely re-applied to other chapters.

With regards to History, as White_Redrose has mentioned, you can't just string a load of dates and facts together from memory and call it an essay. It is important to develop a coherant, logical and balanced argument incorporating all of your knowledge over the essay period, and that requires detailed understanding and evaluation of what you have learned, and not simply memory recall.

Your argument about general studies requiring independent thought has some merit, but to compare it as equal or superior to other subjects is ludicrous. General studies does not require any strong application of knowledge, and therefore has low standards. You can simply write any ramble of relevant information, and so long as it is balanced it will gain a good mark. The credibility of the subject is therefore pretty low.

Well said! :smile:
White_redrose

Thank you very much! :smile:
Reply 51
White_redrose

wow i agree :smile: I didn't get the option of doing General studies, apparently all the 'cleverest' students do critical thinking instead of it. I often wonder why im in that class. hehe
Lottelo

I agree with you to a certain extent, but considering that not everyone obtains good marks suggests that, although as you say it lacks credibility, universities may look on a good grade and conclude that the student is more willing to learn, and being able to express their own opinions successfully. It also seperates the 'i cant be arsed' people from the people who want to do well- who will think of GS as much more than a skive lesson, or a mickey mouse exam etc.
Our school just teaches it without examination, dont know if that is good or bad but i think its good
Reply 54
onlylittleme
Our school just teaches it without examination, dont know if that is good or bad but i think its good

Surely that's bad? It makes it even more pointless as you don't even get a qualification at the end of it!
Reply 55
saiyamana
I agree with you to a certain extent, but considering that not everyone obtains good marks suggests that, although as you say it lacks credibility, universities may look on a good grade and conclude that the student is more willing to learn, and being able to express their own opinions successfully. It also seperates the 'i cant be arsed' people from the people who want to do well- who will think of GS as much more than a skive lesson, or a mickey mouse exam etc.

Saiyamana, i understand what you are saying - but if general studies does separate the people who can and cannot be bothered in this way, then how do you explain how my friend , who is an EXTREMELY hard worker and successful in her other subjects, and others like her, got a D in general studies in the january modules, whereas many others who did not work so hard for it (admittedly, including myself) along with other poeple who work hard got an A? I don't think general studies necessarily separates hardworkers from the 'i cant be arsed people'. However, all i know is that i'd rather be using the time spent in my general studies lessons studying for my other subjects, and for that I do find it a waste of time regardless of its worth :smile:
Reply 56
Essentially ure problem here is that general studies is basically a waste of time. I do F.Maths instead of it, best decision of my life.
Reply 57
In our school, everybody is doing it. At year 13, you can drop it if you want. Nonetheless, people who have grade C's and above must continue, while people who get grade D's and below can't continue.

It's a waste of time. You just do past papers. Furthermore, the only good thing is that you get to discuss/debate about things.

These days, some of my friends skive these lessons last year and this year as they always do the same things. Nevertheless, they still got a good grade in GS last year.

The teacher doesn't even care if they skive or not.
Reply 58
General Studies is the biggest waste of time....ever!

However, I enjoyed it. It was a piece of piss. 100% for the first paper (can't remember which one that was....2 years ago now!)

It's like a module at Uni I do now "IT & Skills for Geography" - lectures are crap, exams are easy, high grades are easy to get. Therefore, I enjoy it :smile:

However....a GS qualification doesn't really help you much :rolleyes:
Reply 59
Bloody hell can you tell me how you got 100% ?

Latest