The Student Room Group

Oxford Chemistry Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

tarnishedpenny
If you had 9 does that mean I'd have had 9? I'm confused by life and labs. And really want to maximise the amounts I've done of all the others so I can just blitz organic when necessary.....*sigh*

Some people only have 8, one of the Hildas chemists I talked to about an hour ago checked and only had 8 points. You should have 9 though IIRC.

You can ask at the hatch thing for a printoff of your points total.
Reply 181
Turdburger
person, Id never be up at 7. From the sounds of it, Carl wouldnt either. Not all chemists are as crazy as TP

I've not been to a chemistry lecture since 4th week... they're all too early.
Valence. :rant:
Stupid topic and no useful books. Urgh. Stupid physical.
And being on TSR early doesn't make me crazy...
Reply 183
Chemistry fails because it's based on the idea that things will keep happening in the same way they always have done and induction can only be proven through circular reasoning.

QED :biggrin:
Athena
You might have to let the biochemists in on this. Although Chloe, Morbo and Stu made a good job with the physics part II (or whatever it was) thread going for two years with just the three of them...

It wasn't just the three of us, there was LM and Bezza as well to name but two.
cpchem

I haven't been to any lectures since Monday of 1st Week, Michaelmas Term. I do not lie.
cpchem

Mrs Carrothead
I haven't been to any lectures since Monday of 1st Week, Michaelmas Term. I do not lie.

Seriously how do you people go about revising for exams? Because the questions tend to stick quite religiously to what was taught in the lectures (especially for the option papers). Are you just printing the handouts off the internet, in which case missing out on the lecturer's valuable blackboard notes :gasp:
Reply 187
I have a very obliging flatmate who I borrow lecture notes from to copy up. It takes me less time than going to lectures, and I don't have to worry about being poked to death if I fall asleep in one of Timmel's lectures :tongue:
I find lectures useless in comparison to doing tute work.

Also, Mrs Carrothead is actually an invading PPe-ist.
If I miss a lecture, copying up is much harder for me now because none of the other chemists at my college are doing either physical option paper (I'm doing both :woo:).

Going by the stereotype, you're quite lucky to have someone else at Balliol who's attending the organic lectures.
tarnishedpenny
Valence. :rant:
Stupid topic and no useful books. Urgh. Stupid physical.
And being on TSR early doesn't make me crazy...

Arghh Insertion Write up. :mad: BTW Valence isnt that bad when you get used to it.

TP do you happen to know where you can get the references for the values of x in the Insertion Compounds?
Reply 190
gruffyddd
If I miss a lecture, copying up is much harder for me now because none of the other chemists at my college are doing either physical option paper (I'm doing both :woo:).

Going by the stereotype, you're quite lucky to have someone else at Balliol who's attending the organic lectures.

We're the year that's bucking the trend. Only two are sitting both phys papers, and I think two more are sitting P2. Two of us are doing both organic options.
None of ours are doing any physical whatsoever. MW was well gutted.

Our year will be probably end up being 3 part 2s out of 5 tho.
cpchem
ixivixi is a biochemist, and our chem chat scares her...

Hah! yes, I was going to say. We did (as a sort of thumbed nose to your thread) actually have a good lecture today, in which the lady was talking about vulva mutants in worms: you get a multi-vulva worm, which sounds disturbing enough, and then you get a vulva-less phenotype, which grows up perfectly happily, until it sexually matures and self-fertilises. The eggs, which can't be laid, then hatch inside the parent and eat their way out. Then the happy little parenticidal kids grow up and repeat the whole cycle.

I could do an "fun bioch fact of the day", to counter the chemistry drear, although I think I would run out pretty quickly...
Athena

I'm drunk, and I think that may give me nightmares.

(Bio)Chemists doing the pharm option - why is alcohol so much more effective as a pain killer for inflammation than anything the doctor has prescribed/stuff I get over the counter? In a COX blockers vs ethanol painkiller test, the booze wins every time :frown:

I have a picture, but I will withhold that to use as potential anti-chem blackmail.

&I've no idea about the pain killer thing. My next two weeks are dedicated to trying to figure out what all the lectures I forgot about have in them. I've never even heard of a COX blocker drug, although it sounds vaguely innuendo-esque.
Athena

No, photos are the last thing I need. I have recurring nightmares about being pregnant with a normal human baby, and I don't want them to mutate into nightmares about babies eating their way out of my stomach :s-smilie:

Also, why are you awake now? I've just come in from a night out (probably shows from typos). What's your reason?

I'm not quite sure why I'm still around - we got kicked out of a birthday thing in a college room at a little after midnight. I wondered round my room for a bit cleaning out jars to stick some excess flowers in (and experimented to see if a emptied coconut I have was watertight enough to use as a vase. Apparently it's not :frown: ). I seem to manage to very quickly get through internet hours in the early morning.

Anyway, you seem to have gone to bed now, so I hope you do sleep well - remember, it's alright, you're not a hermaphrodite, so no unfortunate self-fertilising!
Reply 195
Somewhat tragically, I just looked up diclofenac and did a retrosynthesis on it, so I can now tell you how to make it. It's actually not bad as a way of revising!
It's probably the least efficient synthesis in the world, but getting the substitution pattern right on those two benzene rings is tricky.
Reply 196
Athena
I'm now awake and contemplating my painkiller choices for the day, so enlighten me :biggrin:

You'll regret having asked that - you'll wish you were still drunk:
Reply 197
That's the proof that chemistry is, in fact, just cooking with a horrendous set of ingredients :biggrin:
Reply 198
Of course, if tarnishedpenny or turdburger now come along and point out that I could've done that lot in about four steps, I may have to throw myself out of the window. I'm sure there's room for improvement, though.

Idea: coupling the amine to the other arene ring is almost crying out for a Buchwald-Hartwig...
Five different reagents in one arrow is pushing my thought processes, but otherwise it looks good to me! (says the physical chemist)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending