The Student Room Group

2004 a STEP thread...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
STEP I, Question 7

Spoiler

Spoiler

This question is about ordinary generating functions. If this whetted your appetite, consider reading generatingfunctionology
2004 III Question 10
Someone could check the last part.
Diagram:

--o A -----------
| | 6a |
| | |
x| --- |
| | x_AE |
| - | 9a
| | x_A |
--o P --- |
| x_B |
--- |
| x_BE |
--- |
| 2a |
o B -----------

First things first
xAex_{Ae} denotes the extension of AP at equilibrium, and xAx_{A} denotes the extra extension when not in equilibrium, and same for PB.

kA=mgak_A = \frac{mg}{a}, kB=3mgak_B = \frac{3mg}{a}.

Adding all the lengths, we know that 9a=8a+xBe+xAe+xB+xA    a=_Be+xAe+xB+xA9a = 8a + x_{Be} + x_{Ae} + x_B + x_A \iff a = \_{Be}+x_{Ae}+x_B+x_A. Also xB+xA=0x_B+x_A = 0 (*)

At equilibrium, xA=xB=0x_A = x_B = 0     a=xBe+xAe\implies a = x_{Be}+x_{Ae} and also mg+kBxBe=kAxAemg + k_{B}x_{Be} = k_Ax_{Ae} (**)
    xAe(kA+kB)=mg+kBa    xAe=mg+kBakA+kB=a    xBe=0\iff x_Ae(k_A+k_B) = mg + k_Ba \iff x_{Ae} = \frac{mg+k_Ba}{k_A+k_B} = a \iff x_{Be} = 0.

First part of the motion
Writing the main equation of motion when both strings are in some sort of tension, for 6a<x<7a6a < x < 7a: mxA¨=mg+kB(xB+xBe)kA(xA+xAe)m\ddot{x_A} = mg + k_B(x_B+x_{Be})-k_A(x_A+x_{Ae}). By (**), this is equal to =kBxBkAxA=k_Bx_B-k_Ax_A, and by (*), it equals =xA(kB+kA)=4mgaxA    xA¨=4gaxA = -x_A(k_B+k_A) = - \frac{4mg}{a}x_A \iff \ddot{x_A} = -\frac{4g}{a}x_A. From before, we know that x=7a+xAx = 7a + x_A     xA¨=4ga(x7a)\iff \ddot{x_A} = \frac{4g}{a}(x-7a). Since accelerations xA¨=x¨\ddot{x_A} = \ddot{x}, result x¨=4ga(x7a)\ddot{x} = \boxed{\frac{4g}{a}(x-7a)} follows.

Second part of the motion
When 7a<x<9a7a < x < 9a, PB exerts no force, so mxA¨=mgkA(xa+xAe)=kAxAm\ddot{x_A} = mg - k_A(x_a+x_{Ae}) = -k_Ax_A
    xA¨=x¨=ga(7ax)=ga(x7a) \iff \ddot{x_A} = \ddot{x} = -\frac{g}{a}(7a-x) = \boxed{\frac{g}{a}(x-7a)}, as required.

Finding the time to reach B
Considering the differential equation xA¨=4axA\ddot{x_A} = - \frac{4}{a}x_A, we deduce that xA=Acos(2at)+Bsin(2at)x_A = A\cos\left(\frac{2}{\sqrt{a}}t\right)+B\sin \left( \frac{2}{\sqrt{a}} t \right)
    x=7a+Acos(2at)+Bsin(2at)\iff x = 7a+A\cos\left(\frac{2}{\sqrt{a}}t\right)+B\sin \left( \frac{2}{\sqrt{a}} t \right). Initial conditions: x(0)=6a    A=ax(0) = 6a \iff A = -a, x˙(0)=0    2Ba=0    x=7aacos(2at)\dot{x}(0) = 0 \iff \frac{2B}{\sqrt{a}} = 0 \implies x = 7a - a\cos\left(\frac{2}{\sqrt{a}}t\right). Finding the lowest point, we get x(t1)=7a    t1=πa4x(t_1) = 7a \implies t_1 = \frac{\pi\sqrt{a}}{4}.

Using the second equation found, and using t=0 as the point where x = 7a, we come to x=7a+2asin(1at)x = 7a+2a\sin\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{a}}t\right). x(t2)=9a    1at2=π2    πa2x(t_2) = 9a \implies \frac{1}{\sqrt{a}}t_2 = \frac{\pi}{2} \iff \frac{\pi\sqrt{a}}{2}.

Adding the two times, we get tT=t1+t2=3πa4t_T = t_1+t_2 = \boxed{\frac{3\pi\sqrt{a}}{4}}seconds.

Edit: see sonofdot's post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=19452840&postcount=59
2004 II, Question 12

Finding kk:
Firstly: 1=01kxeax2dx=[k2aeax2]01=k2a(1ea)=1    k=2a1ea\displaystyle 1 = \int_0^1 kxe^{-ax^2}\,\mathrm{d}x = \left[-\frac{k}{2a}e^{-ax^2}\right]_0^1 = \frac{k}{2a}\left(1-e^{-a}\right) = 1 \iff k = \frac{2a}{1-e^{-a}}.
This gives F(x)=11ea(1eax2)\boxed{F(x) =\frac{1}{1-e^{-a}}\left(1-e^{-ax^2}\right)}.

Finding the mode:
To get the mode, we differentiate to find the maximum point (since f(0)=0f(0) = 0 and f(x)>0f(x)>0 for other xx: f(m)=0=keam2(1axm2)    2am2=1f'(m) = 0 = ke^{-am^2}(1-axm^2) \iff 2am^2 = 1. In case a<12a<\frac{1}{2}, m2m^2 will be less than 1, so this case has no mode (since it would be outside the range 0m10\leq m \leq 1. In case a>12 a > \frac{1}{2}, m=12a\boxed{m=\frac{1}{2a}}.

2004 III, Question 14

If σ0<σ1\sigma_0 < \sigma_1, then Xˉ\bar{X} lies in a set [smaller] range, then σ0\sigma_0 should be the variance, but if the deviation is larger, then σ=σ1\sigma = \sigma_1 must be used as naturally it would be expected to be out of the range of σ0\sigma_0. This is acceptable also since only one of the two variances have to be chosen.

Accept H0H_0 when true: =P(μc<Xˉ<μ+c)=2P(Xˉμ<c)1=2Φ(cσ0/n)1\displaystyle = P(\mu-c<\bar{X}<\mu+c) = 2P(\bar{X}-\mu<c) - 1 = 2\Phi\left(\frac{c}{\sigma_0/\sqrt{n}}\right)-1.

Accept H1H_1 when false: =1(2Φ(cσ0/n)1)=22Φ(zα)=α    c=σ0zαn\displaystyle = 1 - (2\Phi\left(\frac{c}{\sigma_0/\sqrt{n}}\right)-1) = 2-2\Phi(z_\alpha) = \alpha \iff c = \frac{\sigma_0z_\alpha}{\sqrt{n}}.

Accept H0H_0 when false: =β=2Φ(cσ1/n)1=2Φ(σ0zασ1)1 \displaystyle = \beta = 2\Phi\left(\frac{c}{\sigma_1/\sqrt{n}}\right)-1 = 2\Phi\left(\frac{\sigma_0z_\alpha}{\sigma_1}\right)-1.

β<0.05    Φ(σ0zασ1)<0.525    σ0zασ1<0.063    zα0.063<σ1σ0\displaystyle\beta < 0.05 \iff \Phi\left(\frac{\sigma_0z_\alpha}{\sigma_1}\right) < 0.525\iff \frac{\sigma_0z_\alpha}{\sigma_1} < 0.063 \iff \frac{z_\alpha}{0.063} < \cdot\frac{\sigma_1}{\sigma_0}

α<0.05    22Φ(zα)<0.05    Φ(zα)>0.0975    zα>1.960\displaystyle\alpha < 0.05 \iff 2 - 2\Phi(z_\alpha) < 0.05 \iff \Phi(z_\alpha) >0.0975 \iff z_\alpha > 1.960

Combining the two, we get σ1σ0>1.9600.06330\displaystyle\frac{\sigma_1}{\sigma_0}>\frac{1.960}{0.063} \approx 30 \,\,\square.
2004 II, Question 4

Part (i)
Take the maximum stretch case, and assume that L exactly touches the corner at some point. At that point, the angle of L against the horizontal is equal to ϕ\phi. By similarity, the angle from the horizontal on the side of b is also ϕ\phi. The lower part of L in the diagram satisfies b=L1cosϕb = L_1\cos{\phi} and the other part a=L2sinϕa = L_2\sin{\phi}. Since L=L1+L2L = L_1+L_2, L=acosecϕ+bsecϕL = a\mathrm{cosec}\phi + b\sec{\phi}.

Differentiating w.r.t. L: L˙=acosϕsin2ϕ+bsinϕcos2ϕ\dot{L} = -\frac{a\cos{\phi}}{\sin^2{\phi}} + \frac{b\sin{\phi}}{\cos^2{\phi}}
Since we're working at a maximum problem, we're going to be maximising the value of L. At the maximum, L˙=0    acos3α=bsin3α    abtan3α\displaystyle \dot{L} = 0 \iff a\cos^3{\alpha} = b\sin^3{\alpha} \iff \frac{a}{b}\tan^3{\alpha} (    \iff are valid since ϕ\phi is not divisible by π/2\pi/2; and the change between ϕ\phi and α\alpha is valid because the latter is now a constant). Substituting backwards, we obtain that Lacosecα+bsecα\displaystyle L \leq a\mathrm{cosec}{\alpha} + b\sec{\alpha} for tan3α=ab\tan^3{\alpha} = \frac{a}{b}, as required.

Part (ii)
The best way to imagine this problem is as if we're simply extending the sides a and b by a certain bit. We know that the vertical angle of the perpendicular from L intersecting the corner is equal to ϕ\phi as well, so we can say that a=awcosϕa' = a - w\cos{\phi} and b=bwsinϕb' = b-w\sin{\phi}.
Thus, L=acosecϕ+bsecϕw(cosϕsinϕ+sinϕcosϕ)\displaystyle L = a\mathrm{cosec}{\phi}+b\sec{\phi} - w\left(\frac{\cos{\phi}}{\sin{\phi}}+\frac{\sin{ \phi }}{\cos{\phi}}\right)
=acosecϕ+bsecϕw(sin2ϕ+cos2ϕ12sin2ϕ)=\displaystyle = a\mathrm{cosec}{\phi}+b\sec{\phi}-w\left(\frac{\sin^2{\phi}+\cos^2{\phi}}{\frac{1}{2}\sin{2\phi}}\right)=
=acosecϕ+bsecϕ2wcosec2ϕ\displaystyle =a\mathrm{cosec}{\phi}+b\sec{\phi}-2w\mathrm{cosec}{2\phi}.

Differentiating as previously, we get L˙=acosϕsin2ϕ+bsinϕcos2ϕ+4wcos2ϕsin22ϕ\displaystyle \dot{L} =-\frac{a\cos{\phi}}{\sin^2{\phi}} + \frac{b\sin{\phi}}{\cos^2{\phi}} +\frac{4w\cos{2\phi}}{\sin^2{2\phi}}.
Then, L˙=0    1cos2ϕsin2ϕ(acos3ϕ+bsin3ϕ+wcos2ϕ)=0\displaystyle \dot{L} = 0 \iff \frac{1}{\cos^2{\phi}\sin^2{\phi}}\left(-a\cos^3{\phi}+b\sin^3{\phi}+w\cos{2\phi}\right) = 0
w=acos2ϕbsin3ϕcos2ϕ=\displaystyle w = \frac{a\cos^2{\phi}-b\sin^3{\phi}}{\cos{2\phi}} = (did I make a mistake here?)
=(ab1tan2ϕ)cosϕ\displaystyle = \left(\frac{a-b}{1-\tan^2{\phi}}\right)\cos{\phi}, as required. Using the previous method and conditions, the result follows.
Anybody want to do II Q6?
STEP 2004, III, Question 13
(Believe me, it's a mess and I probably did something wrong, so check for yourselves and inform me!)

Representing A, B, C as the peoples' wins and A', B', C' as their dropping outs respectively, we can continue onto the question:

Part (i)
For all to drop out at once, the following are the possibilities:
A'B'C'
ABC.A'B'C'
ABC.ABC.A'B'C'

Summing these, we get P(all out at once)=(1p)3(1+(p3)+(p3)2+....)=(1p)31p3\displaystyle P(\text{all out at once}) = (1-p)^3(1+(p^3)+(p^3)^2+....) = \frac{(1-p)^3}{1-p^3}.

Part (ii)
For two drop out at rth round and one earlier, we must have a case such that:

ABC.ABC.ABC. .... A'BC(r-1).B'C'(r)
ABC.ABC.ABC. .... A'BC(r-2).BC(r-1).B'C'(r)
ABC.ABC.ABC. .... A'BC(r-3).BC(r-2).BC(r-1).B'C'(r)

For case r = 5, we sum and multiply by three the probabilities of these cases:
ABC.ABC.ABC.A'BC.B'C'
ABC.ABC.A'BC.BC.B'C'
ABC.A'BC.BC.BC.B'C'
A'BC.BC.BC.BC.B'C'

    \iff (not in horizontal sequence)
A'B'C'.ABC.ABC.ABC.BC
A'B'C'.ABC.ABC.BC.BC
A'B'C'.ABC.BC.BC.BC
A'B'C'.BC.BC.BC.BC

    \iff
A'B'C'.(BC)^4.A^3
A'B'C'.(BC)^4.A^2
A'B'C'.(BC)^4.A
A'B'C'.(BC)^4

which for any r equals:
P(Y)=3(1p)3(p2)r2i=0r1pi=\displaystyle P(Y) = 3(1-p)^3(p^2)^{r-2}\sum_{i=0}^{r-1}p^i =
=3(1p)3p2(r2)(1pr)1p=3(1p)2p2(r2)(1pr)\displaystyle = 3(1-p)^3p^{2(r-2)}\frac{(1-p^r)}{1-p} = 3(1-p)^2p^{2(r-2)}(1-p^r)

Part (iii)
Probability that exactly one wins is opposite of the probability that (all three drop out at once) plus (two drop out at once with one in any other round).

Thus, it is:
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle = 1 - \left(3(1-p)^2p^{2(r-2)}(1-p^r)+ \frac{(1-p)^3}{1-p^3}\right\right)

(which I will not bother to factorise).
Reply 47
STEP II, Question 6

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 48
STEP III, Question 11

Spoiler

Spoiler

Aurel-Aqua
STEP 2004, III, Question 13
(Believe me, it's a mess and I probably did something wrong, so check for yourselves and inform me!)

Spoiler

Don't you want to simplify this? I got:

i) (1p)21+p+p2 \frac{(1-p)^2}{1 + p + p^2}

ii) (pr1pr)2(1pr1) (p^{r-1} - p^r)^2(1 - p^{r-1})

iii) 11p1+p+p2 1 - \frac{1-p}{1 + p + p^2}

Let me know if it's the same.
DeanK22
TEP III, Question 5

Spoiler

I think the answer to part i) is w + pi and w + 3pi/2

Notice that when cosx = 4/5 sinx = -3/5 and so x cannot equal pi/2 - w as then sinx would be positive
Reply 52
Aurel-Aqua
2004 III Question 10

For the last part, I get t=3π4agt = \frac{3\pi}{4} \sqrt{\frac{a}{g}}

I can't see why your g has disappeared from your DE, so maybe you made a small error there (although of couse its perfectly plausible that I have made a mistake) :smile:
Reply 53
I think there is a small mistake in the solution to STEP II 2004 question 1. For part (ii), x=4 does not satisfy the equation given.
STEP II 2004, Question 7

Spoiler

STEP II 2004, Question 8

Spoiler

STEP I 2004, Question 8

Spoiler

Reply 57
Ra=((14k+3l)a+(1l)b+c)a=((14k+3l)aa+(1l)ba+ca)=(14k+3l)+(1l)3+(2)\mathbf{R} \cdot \mathbf{a} = ((1-4k+3l)\mathbf{a} + (1-l)\mathbf{b} + \mathbf{c} ) \cdot \mathbf{a} = ((1-4k+3l)\mathbf{a} \cdot \mathbf{a} + (1-l)\mathbf{b} \cdot \mathbf{a} + \mathbf{c} \cdot \mathbf{a} ) = (1-4k+3l) +(1-l) 3 +(-2)
Reply 58
Yeah, I thought I'd overlooked something really basic. Also I didn't know the dot product distributed like that :s-smilie:

learn something every day
It's actually a joke, how much of a cakewalk the Oxford admission papers are in comparison.

Although, to be fair, they are sat before the end of the A level curriculum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending