The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 1
It'll probably be about the same as Glasgow. Considering its isolation, Aberdeen is indeed more expensive than one would expect.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
Aberdeen has no urban area really, so whereas a lot of people stay at home and commute to Glasgow, this isn't the case to the same extent in Aberdeen. Whereas Glasgow has about 50,000 University students in a population of 700,000, Aberdeen has about 30,000 in a population of 200,000, so there is considerably more pressure on rooms. My friends in Aberdeen are paying £40 a month more than I am in the West End of Glasgow, which isn't really a massive amount, but still relative significant.
Reply 3
TBH, I haven't really spent that much. It depends where you go in first year. As it stands I don't have to worry about food costs and utility bills as that is in my accommodation. A night out can be as cheap as £15 but on average can be about £25. It's not that bad, but then again, I am going by Edinburgh standards.
Reply 4
Hi
I actually live in Aberdeen and I dont think it is that much more expensive than Glasgow. I stayed in Glasgow for a few months and found it to be about the same! there are plenty of student flats here and plenty of accommodation available. There are also plenty of part time jobs to help you and the pay is slightly higher here given the fact we are in the oil capital of europe!
Reply 5
Their is always loads of bar work going if you want that sort of thing. I had a look recently cos I am bored of my job and I found everything from waiting in restaurants to being a poker dealer! Have a look on the jobcentre website if you want. Usually quite a lot going around.
Reply 6
With lidl at the bottom of Hillhead you can feed yourself for about 20p :tongue:
Keeno89
Their is always loads of bar work going if you want that sort of thing. I had a look recently cos I am bored of my job and I found everything from waiting in restaurants to being a poker dealer! Have a look on the jobcentre website if you want. Usually quite a lot going around.

You actually looking for another job?
Jobs going at B&Q...
Reply 8
smellslikemarmite
You actually looking for another job?
Jobs going at B&Q...

Where is it and when are the shifts? I can only work weekends and would be looking for fulltime work over summer....:P I applied for a job with the NHS in September and still not heard back :rofl: Had an interview in september, got my disclosure in October and they asked for a reference which they got on the same day in December!
Keeno89
Where is it and when are the shifts? I can only work weekends and would be looking for fulltime work over summer....:P I applied for a job with the NHS in September and still not heard back :rofl: Had an interview in september, got my disclosure in October and they asked for a reference which they got on the same day in December!

Garthdee, shifts are evenings and weekends at the moment.
Apply online, and you should hear from HR in the next couple weeks.

Oh, and it's checkouts you're looking for - it's good bant and the work is varied.
Reply 10
smellslikemarmite
Garthdee, shifts are evenings and weekends at the moment.
Apply online, and you should hear from HR in the next couple weeks.

Oh, and it's checkouts you're looking for - it's good bant and the work is varied.

Yikes Garthdee is miles away though :s-smilie: I work at the railway station and it's a 35 minute walk or 15 mins on the bus. As far as I know would have to get a bus into town the a number 1 or 2 to get there :eek3:
Keeno89
Yikes Garthdee is miles away though :s-smilie: I work at the railway station and it's a 35 minute walk or 15 mins on the bus. As far as I know would have to get a bus into town the a number 1 or 2 to get there :eek3:

Ah I was assuming you lived around the King St area.

Anyone want a job? :P
Reply 12
smellslikemarmite

Move to town and I wouldn't mind :tongue: I live beside Foresterhill unfortunately :frown:
Keeno89
With lidl at the bottom of Hillhead you can feed yourself for about 20p :tongue:

Currently closed for a refurb, although I think they're running some sort of shuttle bus to their other store? It's rubbish anyway, much prefer Morrisons :smile:

smellslikemarmite

Me! Pick me!

Latest

Trending

Trending