The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ickle_katy
since arriving here in exeter in september, we've had to carry compulsory id cards- your student card

anyone can at anytime ask to see your id, and if you cannot produce it, nessisary action can be taken.

if someone asks to see your id, you have the right to see theirs.

i personally like this system as its easy to tell who sholdnt b somewhere when they refuse to produce their id.

i dont see why anyone has a problem with id cards, if your not doing anything wrong whats the problem with showing someone who you are.

love Katy ***

hi katy :biggrin:
Im totally for the idea!

I think passports and driving lisences can easily be faked as there is no fingerprint or iris reading chip in them.

They would be used when collecting benefits, so that only people registered on the system would be able to claim.

You wouldnt have to 'carry the card around with you all day every day'. The card will just be physical proof that you are on the system. Just like stolen car databases are in policecars.

If you were randomly stop checked, you wouldnt necessarily need your ID card on you. As long as you were on the database, it could be checked instantly.

I also think DNA profiles should be made so that a whole DNA database of the whole country can be made. It would enable many crimes to be solved (such as rapes), and I think would act as a great detterent.

If youve got nothing to hide, theres no problem with it. All this human rights bollocks. What about my human rights of being able to walk down the street without terrorists? Or pay my taxes to people who actually deserve it.
Reply 22
ickle_katy
since arriving here in exeter in september, we've had to carry compulsory id cards- your student card

anyone can at anytime ask to see your id, and if you cannot produce it, nessisary action can be taken.

if someone asks to see your id, you have the right to see theirs.

i personally like this system as its easy to tell who sholdnt b somewhere when they refuse to produce their id.

i dont see why anyone has a problem with id cards, if your not doing anything wrong whats the problem with showing someone who you are.

love Katy ***

privacy and security from state interference is vital in a free country. walking around with a label starts to infringe your ability to be a free-thinking independent citizen.
Reply 23
Unregistered~
I.D cards are a good idea. People naturally desire a sense of belonging and at the moment, being a British citizen is more like being an Earth Citizen. These cards will provide a sense of security and belonging. Women take bags and money and crap with them everywhere, so an extra card won't make much difference there. Men will probably leave them in their pockets, but a lot of men will leave them at home - still, no problem. Police can take their details and check up on them at a later date. The only people who will really have trouble with them are:

- illegal immigrants
- stubborn people like you
- terrorists
- and people who fake their death

They will great in the future, especially with technology. Doors will open for selected people, they will contain a person's passport, credit card, driving licence, donor card, library card etc. the system will be great!

First of all I hardly think being given a card with your picture on is going to bring a tear to everyones eye as we suddenly realise where we have been going wrong and immediately have a massive sense of British identity.

I also would not mind physically carrying a card about with me, its the fact I would simply have no choice whether I wanted the card or not and that the police would be able to check up on me at any time for whatever reason. I am not being stubborn, I really do find it terrifying that people blindly accept such a violation of civil liberties in an apparant "free" country.
Lord Huntroyde
I do tend to agree. Even though now the cards will only hold basic information, what could they hold in the future?

Are you trying to be all things to all people LH? lol
Reply 25
Unregistered11
Are you trying to be all things to all people LH? lol

No, that is my opinion. The rest of my posts were trying to clarify facts.
Albion
First of all I hardly think being given a card with your picture on is going to bring a tear to everyones eye as we suddenly realise where we have been going wrong and immediately have a massive sense of British identity.

I also would not mind physically carrying a card about with me, its the fact I would simply have no choice whether I wanted the card or not and that the police would be able to check up on me at any time for whatever reason. I am not being stubborn, I really do find it terrifying that people blindly accept such a violation of civil liberties in an apparant "free" country.

Its either carrying around a card which can be seen by the police (like a drivers liscence, a passport, a birth cirtificate - all these things you have no problem with right?) or having billions lost due to benefit fraud and many other illegal activities.

Its not a violation of civil liberties! Id feel rather safe in the knowledge that people not registered on the national database would be investigated. You NEED a birth cirtificate - but does that 'infringe on your civil libverties'?

I think youll find yourself being in the overwhelming minority in your opinion. Not to be arrogant, but I just think you will be! People are sick to death of seing immigrant after immigrant after immigrant on the streets. Many are truely seeking asylum, but they are on the system anyway. Its ones who arent seeking asylum legally tht this kind of scheme would investigate.
Albion
I really do find it terrifying that people blindly accept such a violation of civil liberties in an apparant "free" country.

Free is being able to walk the streets at night, without the fear of being attacked. I.D cards will help cut crime thus, giving us more freedom.
Unregistered,
Free is being able to walk the streets at night, without the fear of being attacked. I.D cards will help cut crime thus, giving us more freedom.

Exactly what I think
Reply 29
Unregistered,

i think not. how will carrying a card stop criminals? somehow i think the ones that do want to break the law will leave their card at home...
A lot of countries have ID cards with no problems whatsoever, what means that the UK will become a police state because of it? Then again.. this is the UK, some out-sourced contract will go amiss, giving prisoners access to the data on the computers in their cell, or whatever :wink:
edders
i think not. how will carrying a card stop criminals? somehow i think the ones that do want to break the law will leave their card at home...

But fingerprints left at the scene of the crime will be on the database. Idiot!

Remember ...

Countries with ID cards :

Belgium
France
Germany
Netherlands
Portugal

They arent doing too badly!
Unregistered007
But fingerprints left at the scene of the crime will be on the database. Idiot!

Remember ...

Countries with ID cards :

Belgium
France
Germany
Netherlands
Portugal

They arent doing too badly!

Im more worried about the cost of it more than anything
Well itll be last orders for underage drinkage! Tough on the ppl with August birthdays - imagine being the only person who cant celebrate their A levels in the traditional manner :frown:
Reply 34
Matt:P
Im more worried about the cost of it more than anything

77 QUID!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW ARE WE, THE STUDENTS, GONNA BE ABLE TO AFFORD IT?!?
Bhaal85
77 QUID!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW ARE WE, THE STUDENTS, GONNA BE ABLE TO AFFORD IT?!?

For kids, the elderly, and people in low income groups its free
Reply 36
collecting the infomation such as fingerprint/iris scans can be taken but we dont need an ID card. if the infomation is on the database whats the need for a ID card?
My only problem is with the cost - but I'm surprised that noone has suggested a straight forward way of reducing that cost - combining ID cards with driving licences...people don't object to paying for their driving licences and adding on your driving information alongside your ID information shouldn't cost so much as producing a completely seperate card from scratch - and by including fingerprint info on it it means there less problem of someone abusing it should you lose it.

The benefits system, the DVLA and the inland revenue should have started to work towards a single database with limited access for the different agencies years ago...replicating the same information on numerous government systems is like flushing money down the toilet and leaves the system open to abuse and mistakes. If this can save money then obviously that money can be used to subsidise the costs of providing a voluntary id card to every person...having a card that is unique to you has a lot of benefits (the smallest of which being an instant reduction in credit card fraud) and although it would take time before people became comfortable with the idea I don't see the objectors holding out once their fears are allayed and the benefits become obvious.

I do object to the sharing of any of this information with commercial organisations.

And I do object to a national DNA database - I don't believe the government of the future will be able to resist the amounts of money the insurance industries would offer for access to peoples DNA.
Reply 38
i am not against the idea of an ID card in truth, but i am concerned about what sort of information could be obtained through them in the future. id cards in france are no problem and are a practical medium for legitimate identification in replacement of your passport. the benefits of ID cards would justify the costs in my opinion.
Lord Huntroyde
Yes, that is probably what they'll do but you may need it as proof of age or identity at other times.

did you see the old cad make a pigs ear of himself last night, let down the tories i say.

Latest

Trending

Trending