The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

tommm
ARGGGGGGGGGGGH

NO NO NO NO NO

Haha. Whilst i am not a massive fan of monopolies of anything i believe they are the best option in this case. Private companies would happily push the most addictive and expensive drugs in order to boost profit; they would find a way to cut drugs and sell inferior product. It is necessary to ensure that the corporate gangsters of the multi-national pharmaceutical companies don't replace the street dealers. Why do you not want a monopoly?
Reply 61
explosions hurt
Haha. Whilst i am not a massive fan of monopolies of anything i believe they are the best option in this case. Private companies would happily push the most addictive and expensive drugs in order to boost profit; they would find a way to cut drugs and sell inferior product. It is necessary to ensure that the corporate gangsters of the multi-national pharmaceutical companies don't replace the street dealers. Why do you not want a monopoly?

I wouldn't want a monopoly for the same reasons as I don't want a monopoly on anything else. Competition will increase standards: the consumer can choose what strength and quality of drugs they're buying, and the producer will respond to this. Any company producing an inferior product would be left behind and have to adapt to be able to compete.

Provided that there is legislation to require labelling to certify it's pure and telling people its strength, I don't see the problem.
explosions hurt

coke do it, McDonald do it
Reply 63
MichaelG
you're highly deluded if you think legalizing drugs will solve so many socially and economically related drugs problems.

:ditto:

So legalising heroin will solve the problem? :rolleyes:

The problem goes further than simple supply and demand.
tashhh

Everyone who contributes towards this nation, through taxation etc, should be able to use it's national health facilities. That's why even if someone has a chronic/terminal disease, we offer them treatment, rather than saying "oh no, you've used up your share of NHS time and money".
And yes, I think people who suffer from an addiction are worthy of NHS time and money, in the same way that someone who suffers from depression is. Addiction in itself is a medical condition, so it deserves treatment.
No-one generally brings a terminal disease on themselves though. By treating a drug addict you're not solving the root issue, the drugs themselves. So they get patched up and then go out and get wasted again? I'm not saying anyone should have a 'share' of NHS time, that would be stupid, but what is the point of treating someone who is going to just repeat the process again, even though it's fully in their power to stop it.
Liquidus Zeromus
Ok, I hope you're happy when one of your close relatives dies from a heroin overdose or become apathetic because of Cannabis.

Pro-legalisation views can be so naive, really. Think of the wider consequences and not just the crime issue. It would be surrendering sensibility to drugs.

Why is this relevant to the legalisation issue? These unfortunate things happen every day. Legalisation would not change this for better or worse. Except a less distorted take on the facts about drugs would be available, allowing people to make better informed decisions.
Interesting that those who support a change to current drugs policy seem to be those who are posting the most articulate and well-considered opinions.
Topperfalkon
No-one generally brings a terminal disease on themselves though. By treating a drug addict you're not solving the root issue, the drugs themselves. So they get patched up and then go out and get wasted again? I'm not saying anyone should have a 'share' of NHS time, that would be stupid, but what is the point of treating someone who is going to just repeat the process again, even though it's fully in their power to stop it.

so fat people that keep on eatting, smokers that keep on smoking after they have been told to stop, people drinking after their liver has packed in, what the point of treating them, they keep on doing the stuff that is killing them
explosions hurt
There is a drug problem which is vast in scale, with the governments spending billions to eliminate the supply and use of non prescription drugs. However this is achieving little as millions across the globe still consume a variety of drugs. The government policy is not only ineffective but greates a black market which leads to crime and violence and even as far as terrorism. The demand for drugs directly collides with the huge amounts of laws against them resulting in low value goods reaching insanely high prices on the streets; this lucrative business obviously attracts criminal gangs who control a market valued at £300 odd billion. Large numbers of drug users are poor and this can often force them into crime and prostitution; yet the drugs they receive are poor quality and mixed with poisonous substances (see the Talk to Frank advert :wink: ) and this creates an even greater health risk.

Current drug policy is based on the fantasy of a drug free world yet history has shown us this is impossible. If we adopt a policy of regulation and control by effectively legalizing drugs under a state monopoly then we will eliminate the black market. This will end the problems of needle sharing etc. Most drugs will be required to be consumed on premise but "social drugs" like weed will be allowed to be taken out. It will also have a huge economic benefit.

Tl;dr: legalize drugs as current policy is stupid and end drug related crime
Discuss...

quite bold.. as much as i think some drugs are ok to use just as alcohol.. the C, B classes etc, but would u really feel comfortable walking around places where people are smokin crack and heroin.??? wed become a countrry of wasters
Yea man, ban food! Nobody likes fat people.
The Economist made a good argument for the case of legalising drugs in last weeks issue, and generally a few good articles on the subject.
robinson999
so fat people that keep on eatting, smokers that keep on smoking after they have been told to stop, people drinking after their liver has packed in, what the point of treating them, they keep on doing the stuff that is killing them

They have to take responsibility for their well-being at some point, don't they...
Cupid Stunt
Yea man, ban food! Nobody likes fat people.

:rofl:

It's a shame I gave out my rep for today now...
Topperfalkon
They have to take responsibility for their well-being at some point, don't they...

but then we all do
then we can go drivers should be treated if they had a accident driving
robinson999
but then we all do
then we can go drivers should be treated if they had a accident driving

Aye, but it is generally much harder to determine who or what was responsible for any given road accident. Obviously, if someone drives themselves off a bridge on purpose and survives the fall they shouldn't necessarily be treated for it, especially if it's a suicide attempt
tailschao
Yes we should.

If nothing else, it's called personal freedom. The passive act of talking a drug does not cause any harm whatsoever (except to yourself, in some cases). No Government should have the power to dictate what its citizens can and cannot do with/to/put into their own bodies.

Agreed 100% with this. My views on drug legalisation (legalise them all) have nothing to do with how harmful they are, because the fact that something is dangerous has nothing to do with whether it should be illegal or not.
Topperfalkon
Aye, but it is generally much harder to determine who or what was responsible for any given road accident. Obviously, if someone drives themselves off a bridge on purpose and survives the fall they shouldn't necessarily be treated for it, especially if it's a suicide attempt

so whats the point of the NHS, or the point of treatment at all, went everything can be linked to personal actions
Reply 77
I don't think so. Drug addiction would probably increase and that creates all sorts of satellite crimes to fund the habit e.g. theft, robbery.
robinson999
so whats the point of the NHS, or the point of treatment at all, went everything can be linked to personal actions
You're missing the point. I'm against those who actively aim to harm themselves being treated, as all they will do is repeat the cycle.
Topperfalkon
You're missing the point. I'm against those who actively aim to harm themselves being treated, as all they will do is repeat the cycle.

to be fair they pay taxes, so can't turn them away,

what about sports players

Latest

Trending

Trending