The Student Room Group

Is it technically possible for this to happen in the future?

I have recently been worried sick from the state of the internet, with all this AI and reverse image searching coming out. I am worried that there might come a time where everything we've done online will be visible to anyone who has a picture of us and/or knows our name. A couple of things worry me the most. 1) reverse image searching crawlers. Imagine if in the future, a company like facebook or instagram decided to legalise or could not legally prevent AI from crawling the images on its public accounts, then any publicly posted photo by ANYONE at ANYTIME could be saved by a crawler, and it could be indexed. how? You take an image of the person, do a reverse image search on the index, and boom, you get their account name, personal name, account details and EVERY PHOTO THEY EVER MADE PUBLIC. Any photo you share of anyone, publicly, suppose on an 'anonymous' online forum, you are sharing a photo of someone to share your troubles and relationship or issues with them, someone with malicious intent could save the photo, and reverse image search a database like public instagram/facebook, then blackmail you with the threat of sharing your forum with them. Bosses could find out your whole life history before the interview even starts. 'online stalking' could happen with AI, family, friends, activities with the click of a button 2) legislation around websites archiving and saving data. ANY data posted online publicly can be archived to an infinite degree, in a practically infinite number of places. There is no shortage of data storage in the world. This includes supposedly 'deleted' data that was once public. It will become impossible to delete your OWN DATA 3) why do we sometimes trust google to 'hide' and 'protect every' single piece of data passed through us or saved by us? What if google suddenly, through some unlegislated AI type breach, will MAKE PUBLIC every photo we own, every text we own, even of other people, and all our 'logins' and website activities. Then after this breach, you could look up your own photos, your own name, and see that someone has saved photos of you, written things about you, where and how and when. This type of breach is what terrifies me about AI, NOT robots coming to kill us physically

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending