The Student Room Group

Disturbance in halls after a girl snitched

Last night there was a horrible disturbance in my halls corridor and I've had almost no sleep because of it, they were banging on a girls door near me screaming snitch and calling her lots of name, apparently she grassed on someone doing weed. I don't like snitching but any advice on whether I should complain about last night?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Last night there was a horrible disturbance in my halls corridor and I've had almost no sleep because of it, they were banging on a girls door near me screaming snitch and calling her lots of name, apparently she grassed on someone doing weed. I don't like snitching but any advice on whether I should complain about last night?

You want to snitch about an event where others tried to address another person for snitching? Focus on yourself.
Reply 2

Wait and see what happens today. If the team that were banging on the door have finished showing their resentment, I wouldn’t risk exposing yourself to the same treatment. If however this girl is going to become a permanent target for bad treatment then I would ask her if she would like you to step in.
We all know that weed is widespread in halls so did she snitch because it was a permanent or recurring problem in her flat and was disturbing her work and life, or did she just randomly snitch on the occupants of another flat?? Depending on which it was my reply would be different.
Reply 3

'Snitching'? You mean you have a problem with someone complaining about a person breaking not only hall rules, but the law?

Yes, make a complaint about last night. Contrary to another post, it doesn't matter whether the girl complained about a one-off or ongoing issue, or whether the harassment is ongoing or a one-off. Give the girl the support she deserves, or you are complicit in the trouble. Wouldn't you want help if you were on the receiving end of bullying?
Reply 4
Snitches get snitches
Reply 5
Original post by Surnia
'Snitching'? You mean you have a problem with someone complaining about a person breaking not only hall rules, but the law?

It’s weed. It’s not like somebody burned the place down or murdered someone.

That said, it doesn’t justify that level of harassment. So I would support her by reporting them, anonymously if possible to avoid similar treatment.
Reply 6
Original post by hannychica

That said, it doesn’t justify that level of harassment. So I would support her by reporting them, anonymously if possible to avoid similar treatment.

You do know that, along with arson and homicide, weed is illegal? Reporting it was the right thing to do.
Reply 7
Original post by Surnia
You do know that, along with arson and homicide, weed is illegal? Reporting it was the right thing to do.

the girl reporting about the weed isnt going to stop people from smoking weed, it happens everywhere
Reply 8
Original post by Surnia

Come on now. People snitching on weed and similar things are the Petunia Dursley's of the world.
Reply 9
Original post by hannychica

+1

Don't like the harassment, but weed is just weed...
Reply 10
Original post by Surnia

Putting it alongside murder and arson is also extremely distasteful IMO.
Reply 11
Original post by elinaa-1
the girl reporting about the weed isnt going to stop people from smoking weed, it happens everywhere

No, but it's a step in the right direction and it could get the user help. Take drink-driving;, for example; it happens everywhere. So if you saw someone drunk at uni getting into a car and driving off, you wouldn't do anything? What about drug-driving?
Reply 12
If it’s because you feel they were being bullied and harassed then I would. If it’s because you had a disturbed nights sleep, I’d would live with it if it’s a one off. Follow your instincts on this one
Reply 13
Original post by fec1864
Putting it alongside murder and arson is also extremely distasteful IMO.

That wasn't me that started the comparison.
Reply 14
Original post by fec1864
Come on now. People snitching on weed and similar things are the Petunia Dursley's of the world.

So you don't report crime?
Reply 15
Original post by Surnia
No, but it's a step in the right direction and it could get the user help. Take drink-driving;, for example; it happens everywhere. So if you saw someone drunk at uni getting into a car and driving off, you wouldn't do anything? What about drug-driving?

drug-driving is a different story, it's a risk to the lives of other road users too, you can't put it in the same basket as simply smoking weed in uni halls, there's other ways to deal with the issue than reporting
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Surnia
That wasn't me that started the comparison.

No, but other poster phrased it completely differently to how you did and it reads differently.

Perfectly reasonable to not want people smoking weed in a flat. It’s inappropriate & discourteous.

I would wait for the people banging to calm down and ask them to not bang on doors as it’s disturbing you and your entitled to reasonable atmosphere (and other people shouldn’t be harassed for wanting there flat not to be filled with smoke & it’s smell), and that if they smoke elsewhere it will prevent repeat for everyone.
Reply 18
Original post by Surnia
So you don't report crime?

Get off your high horse.

To see someone with as much rep as you respond in this way is disappointing. I don't want to continue a conversation with someone who thinks smoking a joint should be reported because we will get nowhere.
Reply 19
Original post by elinaa-1
drug-driving is a different story, it's a risk to the lives of other road users too, you can't put it in the same basket as simply smoking weed in a kitchen. I understand that he shouldn't smoke in the kitchen but there's other ways to deal with the issue than reporting

Other ways, such as? We don't know what other steps the girl took, anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending