The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dnumberwang
How come? Isn't everything in Oxford to the north of that?

Oxford was historically divided into 4 wards by the roads leading to Carfax.
Original post by nulli tertius

Surely that's irrelevant because everything is to the north of it
I reckon Balliol is the most central college, or at least it feels the most central
Original post by nulli tertius

Yeah what the other guy said...

If you look at proximity to the train station, shops (Tesco, Sainsburys, George St), the lecture halls on South Parks Road the centre, practically speaking, is Broad Street. Historically and theoretically, you're right.
Original post by tuesday91
It could be a fair judge really, I probably don't know enough about the colleges. Biggest grounds you are definitely right on there. 3 years accommodation yes, but I know for Magdalen at least that a lot of that accommodation is way off site, which kind of makes the whole being in the centre thing less helpful. I'm not saying Brasenose should be in the top 3 on your criteria, but we have guaranteed all years accommodation almost exclusively in college and the Frewin annexe which is about as central as you can get (next to the union), so there are some colleges with much better deals on accom. That said, don't know much about St Johns or ChCh in that respect. Again, if you are going to judge on the Norrington table then you have also probably chosen well, but then I have pretty low opinions of that as a judge, especially as it depends so much on the tutor (so will vary massively between subjects). I would also mark down ChCh and Magdalen on another factor, which is tourists. Since living in Oxford, you really realise what a pain it can be to have tourists everywhere all the time, even in a lesser known college it's not that weird to have your photo taken by a random tour group on your way to brunch, and at ChCh especially I have seen ridiculous numbers of tourists all over the place. Major pain.

I really don't know that much about all the different colleges so as I said you may be right with your choices, though I guess others which you might consider are New, Worcester, Lincoln and (though I am biased), Brasenose. The last two are small, but pretty.

Yeah I mean everyone has their opinions and you might find a certain set of factors most to your liking and thus your top three would be completely different to my top three!
Original post by University Snob
Yeah what the other guy said...

If you look at proximity to the train station, shops (Tesco, Sainsburys, George St), the lecture halls on South Parks Road the centre, practically speaking, is Broad Street. Historically and theoretically, you're right.

To a townie Oxford doesn't stop at the rail station. You have the retail parks on Botley Road, the Ice Rink on Oxpens Road etc.

To a rower, Oxford extends southwards to the river.
St Peter's and Trinity feel pretty central to me...
Reply 2306
I know for Magdalen at least that a lot of that accommodation is way off site, which kind of makes the whole being in the centre thing less helpful.

That's not true. The Waynflete is a two minute walk from the college and all other undergraduate accommodation is closer than that.
Original post by BJack
That's not true. The Waynflete is a two minute walk from the college and all other undergraduate accommodation is closer than that.

Oops, sorry!
I was basing that on something I was told, so just misinformed rather than malicious towards Magdalen!
Reply 2308
Oops, sorry!
I was basing that on something I was told, so just misinformed rather than malicious towards Magdalen!

Was probably someone from Christ Church :smile:

Most of the undergraduate accommodation is within walls, and the rest is either the Waynflete, which is just across the bridge (2 mins walk) or literally the other side of the road from college.
I'm tempted to go for St Johns based on it's notoriety! Lol
Original post by AspiringGenius

Original post by AspiringGenius
I'm tempted to go for St Johns based on it's notoriety! Lol

Welcome to the Oxford forum :wink:
Original post by fluteflute
Welcome to the Oxford forum :wink:

Oh damn m sorry, I just read the OP and posted. I hope I haven't offended, although it seems like I have judging by my neg. :colondollar:
I'm thinking about applying for Oxford, to study History in the future.

I'm very passionate about the subject and I believe that I am a strong candidate, but I'm not the sort of person who likes being under LOADS of pressure and having to work 24/7.

Which college would be right for me? Which college is friendly, laid-back and (I know there is a pooling system) but fairly easy to get into [i.e not massively over-subscribed]

I'd appreciate your responses.

Thanks.
Reply 2313
Original post by soindie
I'm thinking about applying for Oxford, to study History in the future.

I'm very passionate about the subject and I believe that I am a strong candidate, but I'm not the sort of person who likes being under LOADS of pressure and having to work 24/7.

Which college would be right for me? Which college is friendly, laid-back and (I know there is a pooling system) but fairly easy to get into [i.e not massively over-subscribed]

I'd appreciate your responses.

Thanks.

Wadham is a very cool college, a guy from my school's doing E+M there. He says it's really laid back and is enjoying himself quite a bit!

On the topic of an 'easy college to get into', there really isn't one. Yes some are more oversubscribed than others, but that doesn't mean the colleges with less applicants are easier to get into. The under subscribed colleges tend to interview students who initially applied elsewhere as well as their own applicants. So they'll get to pick students who they think have a good chance of being made an offer from the oversubscribed colleges and therefore the premise of picking a less popular college becomes a bit meh because you haven't managed to avoid the students that you didn't want to compete with.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi there,

really quick question about PPH's please...
I've realized that for some PPH's there is only one professor, whereas at colleges there seem to be 4 to 5 professors per certain subjects.

I understand that I probably won't be taught by just one teacher for a whole 3 year course for example, but how does the teaching system work at PPH's?

How does one receive extra teachers?

Thanks
Original post by iDifferent
Hi there,

really quick question about PPH's please...
I've realized that for some PPH's there is only one professor, whereas at colleges there seem to be 4 to 5 professors per certain subjects.

I understand that I probably won't be taught by just one teacher for a whole 3 year course for example, but how does the teaching system work at PPH's?

How does one receive extra teachers?

Thanks

I can't comment on PPHs specifically, but generally speaking, professors are not held down to one college at all. They teach the people from their own college only if their expertise is in line with what is to be taught. If it is not, the students will go to another college's tutor to be taught (and equally, tutors from your college are very likely to teach people from other colleges).
Choose hertford (: Wadham
NOt Magdalen
I would like to apply to a grad course at Oxford, the "Msc in Software Engineering".

The course is meant for working professionals, and it's part time and flexible.
The college that welcomes the students from the programme is Kellogg.

I know that, when dealing when other oxford students or alumni, the college you attend/ed is important.

My question is: is Kellogg is respected as the other colleges? My impression is that being catered towards part-time students, it might get the reputation of being somewhat second-choice and not a "real" college.

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I'm from outside the UK and it's difficult to understand oxbridge's college system.
I know that, when dealing when other oxford students or alumni, the college you attend/ed is important.

Its really not. Colleges have their positives and negatives, but how 'respected' it is is not really one of them. Your degree is awarded by Oxford University, and you sit the same exams as everyone else. College is not an important factor in this respect.

You should definitely apply to Kellog, as it sounds like the best college for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending