The Student Room Group

Am I intelligent because of my IQ

I dont just mean the IQ alone generally though.

Anon because I have major paranoia and I am afraid that people will make fun of me because of this and some people know me at uni on here.

I had a disability test and I have Dyslexia and Dyspraxia and doctor says I have aspergers.

In my test I got quite a few results in the 131-134 range but other things like motor skills because of my disability became as low as 108(still above average but just)

Overall my IQ is 130 which sounds high but what does that all mean?

I am very intelligent and have great knowledge but I find it hard to write my feelings, and get average marks at essays even if its something im passionate about and have interests in since I was a toddler. I am very good at presentations though and quite good at exams.

So I think I am "Intelligent" but have problems processing my own intelligence.

Does that make sense?

But because of my grammar faults and my "dimness" because I have a high IQ does that make someone intelligent because of external factors affecting it?
Reply 1
I do psychology at A-level and even though I've only slightly touched upon intelligence and IQ, your intelligence isnt really your IQ score. Intelligence is how well you understand something and how well you process information. I mean anyone can string off an essay with the facts they are given but an intelligent person would fully understand the facts that they are given. Just becuase you cant write it down doesnt make you less intelligent but having a high IQ score doesnt make you more intelligent.

Like i said, ive only touched upon intelligence in psychology but its not a number, its understanding.

"intelligence: an underlying ability which enables an individual to adapt to and function effectively within a given environment" psychology textbook.
Reply 2
my brother has a mix of adhd and aspergers, and has an IQ of 140-146, yet he does things you would expect someone who is quite stupid to do. IQ is not an accurate representation of intelligence, because someone might have an IQ of 150 but yet still be unable to open a can of beans. Inteligence is a very difficult thing to gauge, you can have academic intelligence or social intelligence to give some examples.

while you may not be very good at spelling, you might find you excell at solving problems or maths for example, especially if you have aspergers.
Reply 3
It sounds a bit like aspergers, which is a disability after all and affect highly intelligent people relatively often.

I'm actually not too sure what you'd like to hear - or what you tried to point out. The IQ is commonly known as part of your intelligence, if it's one out of six, seven or whatever the current academia's opinion is. In the end, it doesn't matter. And it shouldn't matter too much for you, personally. You seem to understand your strengths and weaknesses, so, work on them. Especially the problems regarding emotions/feelings need some improvement, it seems. What's the benefit of being a rational mind when you're not able to hold a decent smalltalk (common problem in terms of aspergers - it just 'doesn't make sense') - it's important...

From my personal point of view, try not to use dyslexia, dyspraxia (i don't know much about both) or possibly aspergers as an excuse for 'being different'. In the end, it will slow you down/keep you from being happy.
This psychology textbook statement is bs!

"intelligence: an underlying ability which enables an individual to adapt to and function effectively within a given environment" psychology textbook"

...because a genius at music or a genius at physics, it's silly to assume they can adapt to circumstances. Did Einstein appreciate the need to adapt to the new Nazi regime in Germany.

...but I do however understand that the definition in the textbook can be used to ascertain whether say a robot is truely intelligent. The so called hard intelligent things like playing chess are easy to achieve, other stuff like recognizing objects, seemingly not requiring intelligence, computers cannot do.

Latest

Trending

Trending