The Student Room Group

What percentage/ratio of the UK population do you think is gay?

For example, 5% or 1 in 20 etc.

I don't see homosexuality as a black and white concept, so lets base this on those who have an attraction to men which is higher then their attraction for women.

If we go by a scale, this is the denomination I am referring to (includes bisexuality, whereby the male has a higher tendency for attraction to the same sex, rather than the opposite sex). The red section indicates what I am referring to.

Gay -------------------- Bisexual -------------------- Straight

Scientists have attempted to hypothesize the number, but what do you think it is? Bearing in mind the amount of people who could be in the closet.

Remember, I am referring to gay people both in AND out of the closet.

Scroll to see replies

10%
As globally it's 10%, I'll say slightly higher at 13%
Reply 3
FinalFlash
10%

I think this too.
Reply 4
99.5%
Reply 5
I think 10% is a good estimate, I'd say around 10-20%, as there are a great deal of people who would never admit to being gay, so we'll never truly know.
Reply 6
1/3
Reply 7
FinalFlash
10%

I've heard that figure before but I really can't imagine it's that high. That would mean at my sixform there are roughly 25 gay students(sixform being roughly 250 people). Obviously with each sample the results with be very different but it just seems quite high to me.
Reply 8
I think probably 5-10% Gay and another 5-10% Bi
Reply 9
Wouldn't know where to start on an estimate. Like you said it isn't really black and white so who really knows.

Where would bisexual people go? Would you include Lesbians too?
Reply 11
Dapa
I think 10% is a good estimate, I'd say around 10-20%, as there are a great deal of people who would never admit to being gay, so we'll never truly know.

Yeah, I want to go by the premise of people who are out as gay and also an estimate of those who could be in the closet.
Reply 12
cowsgoquack
As globally it's 10%, I'll say slightly higher at 13%

This :smile: x
Reply 13
12.28%
I'd suspect about 30%, including bisexuality.
Nearly everyone's a little bit gay, in my experience.
Mr Snips

I think this is more likely.
balloon_parade
Where would bisexual people go?

Straight to HELL
Reply 17
joey11223
I've heard that figure before but I really can't imagine it's that high. That would mean at my sixform there are roughly 25 gay students(sixform being roughly 250 people). Obviously with each sample the results with be very different but it just seems quite high to me.

Yes, but we are going by closeted homosexuals aswell. How do you know at least 10 of your fellow students were not in the closet? When I left high school, I was shocked by the amount of people who 'came out', as they obviously had put in alot of effort to hide the fact to prevent bullying and segregation.
Reply 18
Out as gay - 10%
Closetted - 10%

So yeah I'd guess around 20% in total. That is just taking into consideration gay/lesbians, not bisexuality.

To be honest, if I were to include bisexuality, I think the figure would be much higher.
joey11223

Same here.

Latest

Trending

Trending