The Student Room Group

News 'Teacher: "I might get kicked or punched"'

Those children need to get some smacks.
I can't believe how hard it is for teachers to control the children, should we change the punishment system to include stick and hand (lol)

Kids throwing chairs in primary school, trying to attack teachers and verbally abusing teachers they sound more like monkeys instead of children. The teacher sounds as if she got raped/ beaten up by her husband.(xD) "I still got a mark on my legg where he kicked me"...

"Remove children" How she expresses this sounds as if she is addressing all children, everyone being bad although it is biased towards male children.

What do you think of it?

Click here to go to the article and video

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Personally I think teachers are too soft. A loud, deep voice quickly shuts anyone up. All about dominance.
Reply 2
Primary school!?

Teacher is such a pussy, she should learn some autocratic styles.
Reply 3
Just put the duff ones down at birth, saves time and money.
Reply 4
v-zero
Just put the duff ones down at birth, saves time and money.

survival of the fittest with a catalyst.:yep:
I'm shocked that these kind of things could happen at a primary school.

However, there are some families that are just like that. A boy in my year at secondary school was expelled after he got his family in to beat someone up; the teachers were too scared to teach him in case they upset him and his family were called in again. He's just been sent to prison with about 4 other family members for GBH relating to an incidence of racism.

I guess some people's behaviour can be corrected at school but it depends what their home environment's like..
its bad but not surprising, in some schools. makes me wonder if they act the same at home
I used to get routinely kicked, bitten, and spat at by the children I looked after at an after-school club. And they were never removed.
They did it cos they knew they would get away with it.
Personally I blame the parents.
>Anna<

I guess some people's behaviour can be corrected at school but it depends what their home environment's like..

some of the kids at my dads school were the sons of big time drug dealers and heads of criminal gangs, who lived in big gated mansions. Guess theres not a lot you can really do with kids like that
I just finished a week of work experience in a secondary school as im looking to go into teaching, and that secondary school by all means is rough. It was bad when I was there as a student, but its definatly got worse.

All the teachers I met and spoke to only mentioned one instance of a violent pupil who would hit and abuse teachers. One pupil in the 5 years since I left isnt too bad in terms of physical violence I suppose. Its too many and its not acceptable, but I didnt see any examples of physical aggression in the time I was at the school other than kids fighting eachother.

What I did notice however was how much more verbally abusive kids were than when I was at school. Every other word was F this or F that, and one kid called a teacher an Ugly see you next tuesday. Ironically the teacher only complained about the fact that the kid called her ugly haha. Im not sure how much this can be generalised to other schools though.

I do think something needs to be done to help teachers out a bit though, even the very best teachers struggle when there are one or two people in a class making it difficult for them to teach and everyone else to learn. Raised voices dont seem to work, shouting and so on doesnt work with some kids. What can be done though I dont quite know, but physical punishment in schools from teachers isnt the way to go in my opinion.
Reply 10
Stratos
survival of the fittest with a catalyst.:yep:

Indeed. The Spartans knew what they were looking for. :biggrin:
If there was ever an argument for selective secondary education it's this.
Why can't teachers fly kick little brats?
Reply 13
Its all about the 'naughty step' lol. I think teachers should use the general rule ...
reward the kids when they do something good.
make them have detention/not get rewards for doing bad things.

From my experience - hardly anyone got rewarded for doing good things, but got punished for doing bad things. And if people did get rewarded - it was the naughty kids because they were quiet for one lesson , that clearly isnt fair on the kids who get on with their work yet get no rewards.
Reply 14
The wrinkles around her little round mouth make it look like an anus.
Reply 15
Supernanny on Schools. She'd sort em' out.

It would be more violent than Ross Kemp on gangs. :awesome:
Reply 16
BaconDude
Personally I think teachers are too soft. A loud, deep voice quickly shuts anyone up. All about dominance.

Our substitute teacher used to shout so much he'd go bright red. One kid would just stand in front of him shouting at the top of his voice as well and laughing at him. Some kids need more than just a talking to, if you ask me.I'm all in favour of bringing back corporal punishment myself, for the worst offenders.
Urgh, a girl I work with is doing primary school teaching and on her placement a 6 year old punched her in the arm. I have a 6 year old brother and he's done a lot worse than punch in the arm (kicking, pinching etc) - difference is that he didnt just get spoken to about what he'd done wrong, he got pushed off the person he was hurting and shouted at - negative response to negative behaviour works every time. A wee person isnt gonna keep repeating bad behaviour if bad stuff happens when they misbehave
Reply 18
BaconDude

I'd agree with this. From my previous job, a little NLP or CBT went a long way.

EDIT: This was dealing with people far more dangerous than school children.
My mum has been kicked and punched during her time as a TA in a primary school. The kids were always dealt with very firmly though, so they know it's not acceptable, and the only ones that would ever do it are the ones who have behavioural problems.

Latest

Trending

Trending