The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bubbles*de*Milo
Really, really no. That's very naive tbh.

Bubbles, I think you're being incredibly naive.
Yep, I've taken plenty of drugs. I don't any more, do you know what damage they can do to the people who farm and smuggle them?
That's where your faith should really kick in.
Yep, if you make your own E or whatever, cool. If you're getting coke from women who have to smuggle it in in condoms shoved up their vaginas to pay off debts and feed their kids, and that are farmed by people living in constant fear of their lives? Yeah. That's not cool. Not Christian or cool.
Reply 41
ChocoLoco
lol haha, drugs costs a lot of money anyway, if your not rich dont use it, but if your rich, have fun!

Not if you get them from nathaniel
Reply 42
kevtp
Not if you get them from nathaniel

lol yh he sells them cheap!
Reply 43
Bubbles*de*Milo
Really, really no. That's very naive tbh.

No it's not.
They don't just make things illegal to spoil people's fun.
I'm not saying all drugs are always harmful. Most of the time they're not, but sometimes they are. Too often they are.

I've seen people's lives and minds destroyed just by weed. Which most people consider to be the least harmful drug.
I've also known regular drug-takers who get along with life fine.

But basically, those laws are in place to protect society. Like any law.
L i b
Does that apply to fellatio too?

Anyway, why are there two threads on this?

Because no one answered in theology, so I put it in General Discussion, and then people started answering in both, and I can't merge it.
I don't know to be honest, as long as you don't affect other people, and act as a good person then probably not. Just read the bible if your unsure.
Thud
That doesn't contradict it...

read my edited post
Reply 47
QuantumTheory
Bubbles, I think you're being incredibly naive.
Yep, I've taken plenty of drugs. I don't any more, do you know what damage they can do to the people who farm and smuggle them?

That's the fault of the state, not the user. Which is why I find these people telling us we ought to submit absolutely to authorities quite repugnant. There is nothing remotely damaging in growing plants and selling them.

Either way, you cannot restrict someone's liberty and then blame him for the outcome when he protests.
L i b
That's the fault of the state, not the user. Which is why I find these people telling us we ought to submit absolutely to authorities quite repugnant. There is nothing remotely damaging in growing plants and selling them.

Either way, you cannot restrict someone's liberty and then blame him for the outcome when he protests.

I'm all for legalised drugs, with chains of accountability for producers, exporters and retailers. If all cannabis was legal and fairtrade, how awesome would that be?
Either way, as a Christian, if we choose not to buy non Fairtrade chocolate, why support what can be tantamount to slavery?
Reply 49
QuantumTheory
I'm all for legalised drugs, with chains of accountability for producers, exporters and retailers. If all cannabis was legal and fairtrade, how awesome would that be?

I have a dream...

What a world it would be.:woo:
Reply 50
QuantumTheory
Either way, as a Christian, if we choose not to buy non Fairtrade chocolate, why support what can be tantamount to slavery?

Well, I'm actually quite firmly against Fairtrade products, but there we go.
Reply 51
Bekaboo
But I think the key point is one that you mentioned early on.

There's a big BIG difference between having wine with a meal and getting drunk.

The key here is context. It's about control and inhibitions. I think if it were possible to be a good Christian while on drugs then sure Christianity wouldn't necessarily condemn the drugs for the sake of them. But there's no way that you can justify the uninhibited behaviour.

Not to mention that I think many of your claims about drugs are seriously misguided.

And since when was Christianity ok with fornication?! It tends to go untalked about, in the same way that - as you rightly say - many Christians DO drink. But find me a priest who says it's ok...

This.
L i b

Isn't the world an awesome place?
You'd be interesting to come to. Come to a meet and let's drink port together and discuss the world :holmes:
L i b

Why are you against fairtrade?
Medicine Man
No one can judge here (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=50&chapter=8 - verse 7) so fair point, we can't say if you're a good Christian. But do you think that smoking weed is honouring your body - the temple that the Holy Spirit lives in?

Yes, there are somethings we do that do not always honour our bodies, but I think we should honestly do what is within our limits to preserve our bodies as temples.

Ok personally do you thing gambling, drinking and smoking is a sin ?
Reply 55
Bubbles*de*Milo
Why are you against fairtrade?

Like everything these days (or so it seems), Wikipedia has a page on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_trade_debate :smile:

I don't think it's particularly evil or anything, just that it's a bit of a simplistic way of doing things.

QuantumTheory
Isn't the world an awesome place?
You'd be interesting to come to. Come to a meet and let's drink port together and discuss the world :holmes:

Sounds like a charming way to spend an evening.
L i b
Sounds like a charming way to spend an evening.

Well, I have good port and whisky in the house, you're welcome round :p:
Hm, interesting debate.
Nah, but you can take drugs and be a FUN christian. :smile:
qwerty2012
Ok personally do you thing gambling, drinking and smoking is a sin ?

I cannot say what is a sin and what isn't a sin - tbh none of us really can. Its not in our place to say what is and isn't a sin - the Bible does that!

However, I would say that I would try not to do any of the aforementioned simply becase i don't think it'll be honouring God (or my body). However, this is my personal belief.

What does one gain out of drinking, gambling and smoking? All you could possibly want can be found once you have Jesus in your life!
Reply 59
Medicine Man
What does one gain out of drinking, gambling and smoking? All you could possibly want can be found once you have Jesus in your life!

Again, this seems rather too monastic to me.

What beauty is to be found in a simple sunset in comparison with understanding the glory of God? Probably bugger-all. However that doesn't stop me from looking at a sunset, admiring one, entertaining that fairly simple and base delight.

Admittedly that time may be spend more productively, but I simply cannot take for granted the idea that we should forsake the world simply to follow God. After all, how great a dichotomy is there really between God and Creation? Not as wide a one as you may imagine, I'd guess.

Latest

Trending

Trending