The Student Room Group

Question about study leave. Is this true?

Today at registration time the KS4 co-ordinator came into my classroom and said we'd have study leave from 12 May on. I've got my first paper on 13 May and I can't do any proper revision at school, put simply because teachers insist on students doing powerpoint presentations and 'teamwork' and useless stuff, and the library is full of 9-year-old kids doing nothing but screaming and dropping pencils every 2 seconds. And when I make it home after school I can't really revise either, like I need to study in the morning.

But anyway I asked why aren't we allowed to go on study leave before the exams begin? Like a week before or so? That's the rule at Runnymede and St Anne's and King's (the 3 major British schools in Madrid) and she said I had made that up myself when actually some of my mates go to those schools and have told me. And then for some reason she got really cross (I guess it was 'cause I'd caught her lying to the class) and threatened to abolish study leave if we insisted. 'You're a silly little boy.... you think you're better than everybody else.... you are a liar'

She's such a bitch. Was she right though? What do you think?
Reply 1
No, that is not a rule. It may be a school policy for the other schools, but it is not a rule.
Last year my friend had all of her exams before study leave. You're lucky imo...
I had no study leave for GCSEs AS and i dont have any this year...having said that if i feel my time would be spent better revising at home instead of going to classes then thats exactly what i do. I know what you mean about group revision sessions nd the like - they truly are useless
you always end up with some exams before study leave. My friend this year for as levels has get everyone of his exams before study leave.

Stop complaining and get on with it - you cant change it whats the point in complaining - its the same for everyone else
Reply 5
Our study leave starts after half term at the end of May, count yourself lucky - I have two exams on the 11th of May and no time off to study for them.
generally your exams start before study leave
when i did my gcse's i had an english exam before studyleave i think, and other people had others

now im doing a levels, iv got a maths exams 2 days before study leave starts
so if this is so at your friends school then they are VERY lucky because it rarely happens
crazylemon
That would result in awesome study leave though

That's what I told her! Apparently stressed people revising aren't too fun to hang around with though..:p:
Reply 8
I think exams starting before study leave is pretty common, sorry!
Study leave?? What's that? :tongue: Count yourself lucky you get any. We were made to go to school until we had our last exams. And for AS exams, school was just as normal.
crazylemon
The fact I have only a small amount of work to do means that a large number of people at my school don't want to talk to me until exams are over :'(

Haha i know the feeling. People seem to resent me because i actually did some work last year
Reply 11
study leave is intended to coincide with exam period - you don't need leave to study BEFORE the exams, that's teaching time.
Reply 12
Lots of people have exams outside the study leave period, so stop moaning.
Reply 13
I have a General Studies (hahahahahahaha) and Spanish Interpretation exam before I leave.
Reply 14
I didn't even get study leave ffs!
Its up to the school as to whether they allow a study leave period before exams begin. There is no rule. Sounds like your teacher was being a bit rude though!!

The other secondary school literally across the field from my school gave their A level students about 2 weeks off before exams started....but at my school I didn't get any at all for A level/AS level exams. My school chose not to give proper study leave because it meant we actually had to come into school and we did revision-geared tasks in class, and my school consistently performs better in AS/A level results than the other school, and my Head of 6th was pretty sure that this was because the other school gave their students 2 weeks off to mess around and do f.a., whereas students at my school still had to come in and do work.

Latest

Trending

Trending