The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nellz
Basically I would mention all of the treaties that have attempted to correct it so far:
Maastricht
Nice
Amsterdam
EU constitution
But when I wrote the essay I would do it by institution saying how the deficit has been attempted to be reduced but where it hasn't been, working the treaties that did this into it.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Is that a 20 or a 60 marker?

it's a 60 mrk question

it just says in the booklet

'relevant questions from 2004' now does that mean it came up last year or it is relevant now? if that makes sense :redface:

i really hope that doesn't come up actually, that seems like a bit of a wierd question to answer for me. I can only think of improvments of the EP, but still it's not alot.
Reply 61
Cellardore
it's a 60 mrk question

'relevant questions from 2004' now does that mean it came up last year or it is relevant now? if that makes sense :redface:

i really hope that doesn't come up actually, that seems like a bit of a wierd question to answer for me. I can only think of improvments of the EP, but still it's not alot.

Commission - each country now only has one commissioner after enlargement
- proposed elected president of the Commission (i think)
- proposed EU foreign minister
Council of Ministers - codecision procedure with the EP
European Court of Justice - new judges appointed with enlargement
Committee of the Regions - created at Maastricht. Has to be consulted on for legislation that will affect the regions
European Social and Economic Committee - same as CotR

Those are all the improvements i can think of off the top of my head. I think the key word is analyse, so you would have to say where the democratic deficit still remains.

I hope this helps, but I too hope it doesn't come up :smile:
I was looking a the questions I downloaded from the edexcel website and found this one...

How do member states' views on subsudiarity differ?

I havn't been taught much about other EU states and their attitude to the EU. None of my textbooks cover it as they all focus on Britain and the EU. Anyone got any ideas about this one?
Cellardore
it's a 60 mrk question

If the question asked for you to analyse and I came across it I would probably go along the lines of saying what improvements had been made but that the EU can still be criticised for democratic deficit. So although proposals have been made to make the commission more democratic in practice they are almost impossible to implement because the capacity to do so isn't there (it would be too much expense and bueracracy for the commissioners to be elected by the parliament or something like that)
sparklyteacosie
If the question asked for you to analyse and I came across it I would probably go along the lines of saying what improvements had been made but that the EU can still be criticised for democratic deficit. So although proposals have been made to make the commission more democratic in practice they are almost impossible to implement because the capacity to do so isn't there (it would be too much expense and bueracracy for the commissioners to be elected by the parliament or something like that)

so would it basically be a question that would ask you to to say reasons why thee is a still a democratic deficit and reasons why there isn't? A for and against type question?
Reply 65
Cellardore
so would it basically be a question that would ask you to to say reasons why thee is a still a democratic deficit and reasons why there isn't? A for and against type question?

Yep - or you could do it under themes, but thats just down to personal preference :smile:
Cellardore

Yes thats how I would approach the question

I would begin by explaining the concept of democratic deficit and that is at the core of the EU. Then say how attempts have been made to reduce democratic deficit. And then say how democratic deficit remains despite the proposals and changes and explain the effect this has on the EU.

But really it is down to preference as Nellz said..
Nellz
Yep - or you could do it under themes, but thats just down to personal preference :smile:

i think how i might tackle that question is talk abou each institution- why it suffers from a democratic deficit and reasons it doesn't (talk about reforms in this respect) i.e. the Nice, Amsterdam and Maastricht treaty.

could you do that?
Reply 68
Cellardore
i think how i might tackle that question is talk abou each institution- why it suffers from a democratic deficit and reasons it doesn't (talk about reforms in this respect) i.e. the Nice, Amsterdam and Maastricht treaty.

could you do that?

yep - that's how I would do it.

I'm feeling quite proud of myself that I could make a reasonable attempt at this question now, with having done only a bit of revision. I wouldn't mind it at all if it came up on Tuesday.

But I would still prefer a 60 mark on intergovernmentalism and supranationalism anyday :smile:
how does everyone feel about this politics exam coming up?

With me it's funny, because sometimes i feel confident and think ok i know that, but then other times i'll have a panic moment and think oh god, i don't know anything! I had this last year for politics lol.

even though i enjoy it, i still find that i have had to learn more for this than any of myother subjects! lol

edit: i had done 6 hours yesterday purely on politics and 6 hours today and i can honestly say there is such thing as too much revision! i'm starting to get confused now :frown:
Nellz
yep - that's how I would do it.

I'm feeling quite proud of myself that I could make a reasonable attempt at this question now, with having done only a bit of revision. I wouldn't mind it at all if it came up on Tuesday.

But I would still prefer a 60 mark on intergovernmentalism and supranationalism anyday :smile:

would that be a 60mrk question? lol in my booklet, it has it as a 20 mrk question.
Reply 71
Cellardore
would that be a 60mrk question? lol in my booklet, it has it as a 20 mrk question.

60 mark - something like 'distinguish between intergovernmentalism and supranationalism,a nd define which is the more relevant term to the EU'

That would be a nice question :smile:
Nellz
60 mark - something like 'distinguish between intergovernmentalism and supranationalism,a nd define which is the more relevant term to the EU'

That would be a nice question :smile:

is it just me or have you noticed that most of these EU questions, you can kind of have the same structure with your essays? like for this question, you could easily go through the institutions and talk about each one. If it's intergovernmental or supranational?

well i think that's how i'm gonna do it anyway! lo i don't want to go confusing myself, it's the only way it makes sense to me lol.
Cellardore
how does everyone feel about this politics exam coming up?

With me it's funny, because sometimes i feel confident and think ok i know that, but then other times i'll have a panic moment and think oh god, i don't know anything! I had this last year for politics lol.

even though i enjoy it, i still find that i have had to learn more for this than any of myother subjects! lol

edit: i had done 6 hours yesterday purely on politics and 6 hours today and i can honestly say there is such thing as too much revision! i'm starting to get confused now :frown:

I am feeling quite worried. Although not so much about unit 5 after getting through quite a few topics in the last few days. I am actually more worried about what will come up on Thursday :confused: There are just so many possibilities. My teacher kept on saying how she thinks the examiners have been hinting about Northern Ireland party systems a lot (when I went to the revision conference in London there was a whole lecture on NI and Party Systems :eek:) so I might revise that later incase it is on paper 6 because if it did come up and I didn't know it I would kick myself :p:

Really hoping a lot of AS has in fact become general knowledge and that it is in my mind somewhere waiting to rush forward upon seeing Unit 6 exam questions!!
sparklyteacosie
I am feeling quite worried. Although not so much about unit 5 after getting through quite a few topics in the last few days. I am actually more worried about what will come up on Thursday :confused: There are just so many possibilities. My teacher kept on saying how she thinks the examiners have been hinting about Northern Ireland party systems a lot (when I went to the revision conference in London there was a whole lecture on NI and Party Systems :eek:) so I might revise that later incase it is on paper 6 because if it did come up and I didn't know it I would kick myself :p:

Really hoping a lot of AS has in fact become general knowledge and that it is in my mind somewhere waiting to rush forward upon seeing Unit 6 exam questions!!

lol i am really really hoping that a question on pressure groups will come up on unit 6- that would be fantastic.

i'm a little worried about unti 5 though. I know about the democratic deficit (which i know quite well) so i hope that comes up!

or even a question on the European Parliament. Was this question on last year? Do they usually repeat questions or do they come up with completly new ones? :confused: at the moment my mind is on sleep mode, so i'm hoping when i get into the exam all this stuff i have been learning will eventually come flooding back! lol
Cellardore
lol i am really really hoping that a question on pressure groups will come up on unit 6- that would be fantastic.

i'm a little worried about unti 5 though. I know about the democratic deficit (which i know quite well) so i hope that comes up!

or even a question on the European Parliament. Was this question on last year? Do they usually repeat questions or do they come up with completly new ones? :confused: at the moment my mind is on sleep mode, so i'm hoping when i get into the exam all this stuff i have been learning will eventually come flooding back! lol

I would like it if pressure groups came up too..Would be a nice topic to write about!!! Hoping that they don't put nasty topics together such as a question I came across about immigration and the economy or an enviroment related question.
sparklyteacosie
I would like it if pressure groups came up too..Would be a nice topic to write about!!! Hoping that they don't put nasty topics together such as a question I came across about immigration and the economy or an enviroment related question.

do you get a choice? or will it be only two questions.
Cellardore
do you get a choice? or will it be only two questions.

The paper has four questions on it.
sparklyteacosie
The paper has four questions on it.

that makes me feel a little bit better!

you know when we went to that city temple conference?

in that booklet we got they have printed one paper 6 question which is:

compare and contrast the role and importance of the European Parliament and Westminister Parliament'

now the fact that theyve put that in the booklet, do you think they have hinted that it might come up? As it's the ONLY question 6 they've put in there lol

now seriously, i am starting to worry a little bit now. Maybe when i get into that exam room, hopefully the questions will be easier than i thought they would be.
Reply 79
Cellardore
that makes me feel a little bit better!

you know when we went to that city temple conference?

in that booklet we got they have printed one paper 6 question which is:

compare and contrast the role and importance of the European Parliament and Westminister Parliament'

now the fact that theyve put that in the booklet, do you think they have hinted that it might come up? As it's the ONLY question 6 they've put in there lol

now seriously, i am starting to worry a little bit now. Maybe when i get into that exam room, hopefully the questions will be easier than i thought they would be.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the booklet, since this year there were no chief examiners at the conference, unlike in previous years, so it is uncertain that the 'hints' in the booklet are for real or not.

I'm very scared that I haven't started my unit 6 revision yet, as I have 3 exams before then :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending