The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I've just been doing past papers really....at least I know time's not a problem for me as it usually is in many other cases. I just hope it goes well!
Reply 41
n0c0ntr0l
Well i'm hoping for 100 UMS, any less than 95 and I'll cry. But I still need to learn the probability formulae... I never actually learnt them.

Same. If I have to resit S1 I will slit my wrist. :yep:
Reply 42
Revision isn't going too bad, but I keep tripping up on those theory questions, for example from Jan 05:

6. A discrete random variable is such that each of its values is assumed to be equally likely.

(a) Write down the name of the distribution that could be used to model this random variable. - [1]

(b) Give an example of such a distribution. - [1]

(c) Comment on the assumption that each value is equally likely. - [2]

(d) Suggest how you might refine the model in part (a). -[2]

Sigh :|
Fatema991
Revision isn't going too bad, but I keep tripping up on those theory questions, for example from Jan 05:

6. A discrete random variable is such that each of its values is assumed to be equally likely.

(a) Write down the name of the distribution that could be used to model this random variable. - [1]

(b) Give an example of such a distribution. - [1]

(c) Comment on the assumption that each value is equally likely. - [2]

(d) Suggest how you might refine the model in part (a). -[2]

Sigh :|

Eurgh yeah. Though they start to repeat themselves through the past exam papers, so once you've answered a couple you should be alright :yes:
Not looking forward to S1 find it harder (not inherently but just because its boring) than C1 and C2 which i find remarkably easy. I hoping maybe for a high B/ Low A for S1 And in the 90's for C2 which should put me on a steady A overall.
I just did the 2006 june past paper, now it's time to mark it and see how I did.... (AQA btw)

Not bad, but I made loads of silly mistakes!
s1 iz hardr dan C1 /C2
Reply 47
The Correlation/Regression questions are often worth between 15 - 20 marks, always appear every year
S1 is dreadful - I done the S1 paper 2009 and there is question on histogram which I find hard and confusing
because when I check the mark scheme for that question instead of subtracting 10-8 they use 10.5-7.5 so confusing
please help me Im doomed
C2 is easy I got an A for my mock, but S1 is just so annoying - I only like probability, probability distribution, normal distribution, tree diagram and box wisker
I'm actually going to start crying - I hate S1, I keep getting Ds or lower... I'll attempt another paper in a few minutes (after much coffee + sugar so I can stay awake through it). I really need an A on Wednesday, but I think that's highly unlikely.
Reply 51
Does everyone else find Stats so much easier than Core?

C1 and C2 i have on the 5th June, has anyone got any tips for revising core ?

No I find core easier. But yes, people who find cores easier find stats harder and vice versa. I can't do stats, and I'm going to withdraw from this resit. I think 68 for me was an okay mark. I'll make it back up in the cores.

The best tip I can give you is to do past papers without the markscheme in front of you. Even if a question takes you an hour, keep trying. Use your textbook to help you. When you can do the question, then you'll probably be able to answer similar questions very easily. After doing a number of practice papers, they'll get a lot easier. If you find you cannot do the question at all, then revisit the chapters from the textbook and re do the exercises.

Remarqable M
S1 is dreadful - I done the S1 paper 2009 and there is question on histogram which I find hard and confusing
because when I check the mark scheme for that question instead of subtracting 10-8 they use 10.5-7.5 so confusing
please help me Im doomed

Many times on a histogram on the x-axis, the intervals are between 10.5 to 12.5 and 12.5 to 17.5 etc etc.
Does anyone know where i can find the formulae book/sheet on the net as it would appear when we take our exam
Reply 53
i think it is easier than C2, our teacher gave us a lot of solomon press (as hwk) which i think is so much harder than the early papers.i did some revisions on thursday, yesterday and thts it. i have physics a on the 21/05...
Da_hopeful_1
Does anyone know where i can find the formulae book/sheet on the net as it would appear when we take our exam

Here's the link:
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20Curriculum%202000/219797_Formulae_book_Revised_Specification.pdf
Reply 55

For some reason I could not find this so thanks for posting up the link!!
Reply 56
What I don't get is when to use (n + 1) and when to use just n.. As in when calculating the median/quartiles etc. :confused:
Does anyone know how to do these sort of questions:

(c) Use interpolation to estimate the median Q2, the lower quartile Q1, and the upper quartile Q3 of these data.

The data is grouped...

I really have no clue about it :s-smilie:
I just bought the S1 book today morning, i'm almost finishing chapter 4 now - does it get hard? i flicked through it and chapter 5 onwards looks confusing...
Reply 59
Remarqable M
please help me Im doomed

Lower and upper boundary I guess!

Latest

Trending

Trending