The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Natasha_c
I thought switzerland was notorius for being extremly heartless when it came to helping the jews?

Anyway it seems a bit unfair to judge them now on this

On the contrary, the Swiss were responsible for taking in a lot of jews during WW2. Even today, Switzerland has a lot of Jews.
Reply 61
WokSz
On the contrary, the Swiss were responsible for taking in a lot of jews during WW2. Even today, Switzerland has a lot of Jews.

The Swiss were fairly harsh and have been criticised for it according to the wiki article you posted.
Reply 62
Hanoi
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

JS Mill

soo true
callum9999
A load of rubbish in my opinion. Even if you live in a country that has wars, the average citizen doesn't get any exposure to it and the majority of Westerners aren't "miserable creatures with no chance of being free". If anything, war is more emotionally damaging than peace.

yes they are
Reply 64
Renner
The Swiss were fairly harsh and have been criticised for it according to the wiki article you posted.

They were harsh about entrance requirements, but still took in a great deal of Jews and refugees during WWII.
Reply 65
What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality? - Zapp Brannigan on the Swiss.
I think Switzerland is brilliant. If we all acted as Switzerland did I think the world would be a lot better
Reply 67
ajp100688
What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality? - Zapp Brannigan on the Swiss.

Or maybe a rational way of thinking? They know that fighting wars for no apparent reason is futile.
WokSz
Or maybe a rational way of thinking? They know that fighting wars for no apparent reason is futile.

Quite right.

You stayed out of WWI, while we foolishly entered it.

And what did we get out of it? Even more bloated egos for the arrogant, useless, inbred political elites of the nations of Europe.

The same people who once again plunged Europe into war 20 years later.

Well done Switzerland, for being sane in a world of the insane.
Reply 69
Grim_the_Reaper
Quite right.

You stayed out of WWI, while we foolishly entered it.

We followed our Treaty obligations and do you honestly think we could have stood back to see Germany become a credible rival? Yes the war could have been run better but that doesn’t mean the original reason to fight was flawed.

And what did we get out of it? Even more bloated egos for the arrogant, useless, inbred political elites of the nations of Europe.

Aside from your unjustified and flawed tirade of insults WW1 reduced the power of the old ruling elites, there were destroyed in Germany and Russia for a start.

The same people who once again plunged Europe into war 20 years later.

I think you'll find they started it, they invaded Poland....
Well done Switzerland, for being sane in a world of the insane.
Each to there own but I would rather have an Empire that fuelled the Industrial Revolution than remain isolated and make clocks.
Renner
We followed our Treaty obligations and do you honestly think we could have stood back to see Germany become a credible rival? Yes the war could have been run better but that doesn’t mean the original reason to fight was flawed.

The war was started by a Serb killing an Austrian, not Germany.

How the hell did Austria getting on the bad side of its Slavic subjects have anything to do with us?

Renner
Aside from your unjustified and flawed tirade of insults WW1 reduced the power of the old ruling elites, there were destroyed in Germany and Russia for a start.

The arrogant, useless, inbred elites started WWI because they had a tiff with their cousins.

A generation of young men suffered the consequences.

Lions led by donkeys indeed.

Renner
I think you'll find they started it, they invaded Poland....

The same arrogant, useless, inbred elites who started WW1 also oversaw the Treaty of Versailles, which was a major factor in the rise of the Nazis and outbreak of WW2.

Renner
Each to there own but I would rather have an Empire that fuelled the Industrial Revolution than remain isolated and make clocks.

Never heard of 'spendid isolation' then?
Renner

America was the fastest developing country in the world during the 19th and early 20th centuries and held an isolationist foreign policy until 1917.
Reply 72
Grim_the_Reaper
The war was started by a Serb killing an Austrian, not Germany.
How the hell did Austria getting on the bad side of its Slavic subjects have anything to do with us?

The arrogant, useless, inbred elites started WWI because they had a tiff with their cousins.

A generation of young men suffered the consequences.

Lions led by donkeys indeed.
We joined the war because Germany invaded Belgium which violated the Treaty of London 1839 which ensured Belgian neutrality. Kaiser William II (inbred and arrogant apparently) unsuccessfully asked General Moltke to cancel the invasion in order to keep Britain out of the war.

The same arrogant, useless, inbred elites who started WW1 also oversaw the Treaty of Versailles, which was a major factor in the rise of the Nazis and outbreak of WW2.
Who signed the Treaty of Versailles then? The main signatories of the treaty were Britain (Prime Minister David Lloyd George), the USA (President Woodrow Wilson), France (Prime Minister Georges Clemenceau) and Italy (Prime Minister Vittorio Orlando). I do not see a Count, Duke, King or Prince among them.

Never heard of 'spendid isolation' then?
Only worked while Europe wasn’t a threat, German unification and armament stopped this.

Jay Riall
America was the fastest developing country in the world during the 19th and early 20th centuries and held an isolationist foreign policy until 1917.
The USA being essentially a continent unto itself could afford to be ‘isolationist’, and American isolationism was never as absolute as the Swiss. If Britain has remained isolationist there possibly would have been no Industrial Revolution, no empire and we would have quite possibly been invaded and conquered by some other great European power.
I respect the fact that Switzerland has managed to stay out of other people's problems...the UK should have taken a leaf out of the same book!
Why shouldn't Swizerland be neutral, why would any country feel the need to impose there values and ideas on another. When I went to Switzerland last summer it was one of the nicest countries I've been too, everyone was very relaxed and friendly and just very chilled. It seemed like a great place to live, and one of the few countries I've been to that the majority of teens I met didn't hate.

The swiss system seems very good, everyone does national service so they can defend whats theirs; which to me is the only legitimate reason to train soldiers.
It's a kind of trivial question anyway since no country is ever likely to invade Switzerland, mostly because it doesn't go sticking its nose into other people's business.

No country is going to invade Switzerland because the big european powers its surrounded by wouldn't let it happen, and wouldn't let each other do it.
Reply 76
The Referee
I respect the fact that Switzerland has managed to stay out of other people's problems...the UK should have taken a leaf out of the same book!
Why?
MathsHamster
But I am in favour of everyone invading Switzerland just to see what would happen.

I agree.
Renner
Why?

I believe that the UK have stuck their collective nose into at least one fight that was unnecessary (IRAQ!) and a little neutrality in the matter a la Switzerland would have been the more prudent course of action.
The world needs a switzerland, anyway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protecting_power

Latest

Trending

Trending