The Student Room Group

is it possible to pay ?

Hello there.

In 2026, my daughter will summit an application to the UK University for a Bachelor of Arts in Design or Psychology.

We have spent the last ten years working abroad as British nationals, but our permitted house is in the UK, however, my daughter followed us as well. We frequently return to the UK in the summer. We have a National Insurance number and pay UK tax annually (excluding salary income tax). Also, my daughter's medical problems are being treated locally through surgery when she needs it.
I am wondering if my daughter can apply to a UK university as a domestic student fee rather than an international student or impossible. let's me know what my daughter needs if it's possible

Please, advise me.

Thank you.
Original post by YKelly
Hello there.

In 2026, my daughter will summit an application to the UK University for a Bachelor of Arts in Design or Psychology.

We have spent the last ten years working abroad as British nationals, but our permitted house is in the UK, however, my daughter followed us as well. We frequently return to the UK in the summer. We have a National Insurance number and pay UK tax annually (excluding salary income tax). Also, my daughter's medical problems are being treated locally through surgery when she needs it.
I am wondering if my daughter can apply to a UK university as a domestic student fee rather than an international student or impossible. let's me know what my daughter needs if it's possible

Please, advise me.

Thank you.

As you're asking about home / international tuition fees (not student loans), it's important to note that it is universities themselves that make this determination, following the regulations but also with the ability to exercise some discretion. I mention this because your daughter's situation is somewhat non-standard, meaning that two different universities might make different determinations as to her fee status (based upon the discretion they choose to exercise).

Can I suggest that you read through Eligibility for home fee status and student support in England, as there are so many nuances and exceptions that if I tried to summarise them here, I may miss something which turns out to be very relevant to you. (You will, no doubt, be aware that the rules are different in different parts of the UK, so if she'll be targeting universities elsewhere - particularly in Scotland - then just shout.)

Have you and your daughter been living in Europe? If so, then this may be directly applicable:

"UK nationals living in Europe
For courses starting between 1 August 2021 and 1 January 2028, UK nationals and their family members living in the EEA or Switzerland will generally be eligible for home fee status and tuition fee and maintenance loans if they meet the following conditions:

they have lived in the EEA, Switzerland, or the UK for at least the last three years;
they were living in the EEA or Switzerland on 31 December 2020;
they have lived continuously in the EEA, Switzerland, or the UK between 31 December 2020 and the start of their course."

But please read the whole page I linked to, as it's a complicated business!
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
As you're asking about home / international tuition fees (not student loans), it's important to note that it is universities themselves that make this determination, following the regulations but also with the ability to exercise some discretion. I mention this because your daughter's situation is somewhat non-standard, meaning that two different universities might make different determinations as to her fee status (based upon the discretion they choose to exercise).

Can I suggest that you read through Eligibility for home fee status and student support in England, as there are so many nuances and exceptions that if I tried to summarise them here, I may miss something which turns out to be very relevant to you. (You will, no doubt, be aware that the rules are different in different parts of the UK, so if she'll be targeting universities elsewhere - particularly in Scotland - then just shout.)

Have you and your daughter been living in Europe? If so, then this may be directly applicable:

"UK nationals living in Europe
For courses starting between 1 August 2021 and 1 January 2028, UK nationals and their family members living in the EEA or Switzerland will generally be eligible for home fee status and tuition fee and maintenance loans if they meet the following conditions:

they have lived in the EEA, Switzerland, or the UK for at least the last three years;
they were living in the EEA or Switzerland on 31 December 2020;
they have lived continuously in the EEA, Switzerland, or the UK between 31 December 2020 and the start of their course."

But please read the whole page I linked to, as it's a complicated business!

Thank you very much for your reply.
Currently, we are working in Asia, not EEA and she wants to apply to a university in England.

is there any way for my daughter?
Original post by YKelly
Thank you very much for your reply.
Currently, we are working in Asia, not EEA and she wants to apply to a university in England.

is there any way for my daughter?

Did you read the the page I linked to? I would have to sit here and ask you dozens of questions to be able to answer you question accurately.

For example, is your daughter a British Citizen? (You have said that "We have spent the last ten years working abroad as British nationals", but it's not clear to whom this "we" refers, given the mention of "working abroad".) This may be important because if she is a British Citizen, it means that she has the "right of abode" in the UK, and therefore meets the requirement of being "settled" in the UK on "the first day of the first academic year" (1 September for courses that start between 1 August and 31 December).

You have said, "In 2026, my daughter will summit an application...", which presumably means that her degree course would start in Autumn 2027. The first page I linked to says that, with reference to "the first day of the first academic year", you daughter "must also have been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK for the three years before that date." Do you know where she will be living between 1 September 2024 and 1 September 2027?

Do any of the following exceptions apply?

Refugees and family members;
Persons granted humanitarian protection and family members;
Persons granted stateless leave and family members;
Persons with section 67 leave;
Persons granted Calais leave to remain;
Persons granted indefinite leave to remain as a victim of domestic violence or abuse;
Persons granted indefinite leave to remain as a bereaved partner;
Persons granted leave under the Afghan Relocations and Assistance Policy or the Afghan Citizens Resettlement Scheme and family members, and British nationals evacuated or assisted in leaving Afghanistan;
Persons granted leave under the Ukraine schemes and family members.

If she won't have been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK (or living in the EEA or Switzerland) between 1 September 2024 and 1 September 2027, and if none of the above exceptions above apply, then my reading of the regulations is that she would not be eligible for home fees. Note that the regulations make no reference to your nationality (only hers) and have no regard as to what tax has been paid to whom by whom. The primary considerations are being resident and ‘settled’ in the UK on ‘the first day of the first academic year’ of their course, and having been being ‘ordinarily resident’ for the three years prior.

However, I would stress again that you should read the rules yourself, as I haven't covered each any every aspect in the above.
Reply 4
Thanks for your time again.
let me introduce my daughter's situation. My husband and I have been working in Asia for 10 years and My daughter has been overseas educated since she was in grade 3, she is in grade 10 now. She is 15. Next year 16, she begins high school. My daughter will be finishing her secondary in Asia and going to apply to a UK university in England in 2026. We are all on British passports. We have a house in the UK. We pay UK tax, and parents, Grandparents are there. We would be open to anywhere in the UK for our daughter, including Wales, Scotland, Ireland if makes any difference.

i have read the link but not for my daughter.

Simply we want to pay domestic fees as international too expensive. Can you help us. Appreciate.
Original post by YKelly
let me introduce my daughter's situation. My husband and I have been working in Asia for 10 years and My daughter has been overseas educated since she was in grade 3, she is in grade 10 now. She is 15. Next year 16, she begins high school. My daughter will be finishing her secondary in Asia and going to apply to a UK university in England in 2026. We are all on British passports. We have a house in the UK. We pay UK tax, and parents, Grandparents are there. We would be open to anywhere in the UK for our daughter, including Wales, Scotland, Ireland if makes any difference.

Simply we want to pay domestic fees as international too expensive. Can you help us. Appreciate.

You mention that, "We have a house in the UK. We pay UK tax, and parents, Grandparents are there." None of this is relevant. The primary criteria are:

1. "Generally, individuals must be resident and ‘settled’ in the UK on ‘the first day of the first academic year’ of their course to be eligible for home student status."
2. "With some exceptions, they must also have been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK for the three years before that date. The three-year residency rule applies to UK nationals who have been living abroad (see below for an exception for UK nationals living in Europe)."

Your daughter meets the first criterion, as she is a British Citizen, meaning she has the right of abode in the UK and so will meet the criteria for being "settled" once she returns to the UK. As she "will be finishing her secondary in Asia", she will not meet the three-year residency rule (see bold section above) and will therefore not be eligible for home tuition fees. As you are in Asia, the exception for UK nationals living in Europe does not apply.
Reply 6
You mention that, "We have a house in the UK. We pay UK tax, and parents, Grandparents are there." None of this is relevant. The primary criteria are:

1. "Generally, individuals must be resident and ‘settled’ in the UK on ‘the first day of the first academic year’ of their course to be eligible for home student status."
2. "With some exceptions, they must also have been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK for the three years before that date. The three-year residency rule applies to UK nationals who have been living abroad (see below for an exception for UK nationals living in Europe)."

Your daughter meets the first criterion, as she is a British Citizen, meaning she has the right of abode in the UK and so will meet the criteria for being "settled" once she returns to the UK. As she "will be finishing her secondary in Asia", she will not meet the three-year residency rule (see bold section above) and will therefore not be eligible for home tuition fees. As you are in Asia, the exception for UK nationals living in Europe does not apply.

It seems that my daughter would only qualify for domestic tuition fees after living in the UK for three years.
Original post by YKelly
It seems that my daughter would only qualify for domestic tuition fees after living in the UK for three years.

Exactly.
Reply 8
Exactly.

Thank you for your time.
My daughter will finish secondary education in Hong Kong. Please let me know if there are any changes to the rules in the future.
Reply 9
Original post by YKelly

This is a student forum, not a legal one. You need to speak to the university itself to find out if she can pay domestic fees no one here can help you bar general advice.
However, from what youve said it sounds like shes only eligible for foreign ones as, despite being a citizen, shes not a resident. Holidays not counting here.
Reply 10
Original post by Napp
This is a student forum, not a legal one. You need to speak to the university itself to find out if she can pay domestic fees no one here can help you bar general advice.
However, from what youve said it sounds like shes only eligible for foreign ones as, despite being a citizen, shes not a resident. Holidays not counting here.

Thanks for your reply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending