The Student Room Group

Applying With IGCSEs/IB

Hey guys,

I read through the admission requirements for the different universities and I noticed how they have different requirements for the different courses you take (eg. IGCSEs, IB, A-Levels, etc.)

I'm just wondering, if you complete your IB, will the university be judging you on both your IB AND your IGCSE scores? Or will they only be considering you based on your IB scores?

Most medical schools require a double science award for the IGCSEs .. yet I'm doing Mathematics, Additional Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and other non-science related subjects (English, History, etc) and no Physics. I am planning to take HL Biology, HL Chemistry, HL English, SL Maths and two other easier standard level subjects for my IB.

So yes. Will they really be considering my IGCSEs?
Thanks!
Reply 1
anyone? :|
:P
Reply 2
Hey guys,

I've got a question, do universities consider you based on your IGCSE scores or your IB scores? I am planning to enter medical school and I have read their entry requirements .. generally looking for IGCSEs chemistry, double science award, english and maths and IB HL sciences ..

Im doing my IGCSE exams right now, but I'm not doing a double science award. Instead I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Additional Mathematics, English, plus other non-science related subjects.

I am proceeding onto my IB diploma, where I would be taking HL Chemistry, Biology, English and SL Maths, Spanish and History.

Will it be okay if I don't have my IGCSE double science award (aka the one including physics)? Would they really consider both or would they just see your IB marks?

Thanks a lot !!
Reply 3
I think some of them do still look at GCSEs.

HiBear
x

HiBear made the table of IB requirements in the wiki (here) so might be able to remember which and what (or know where to find the info!)
Reply 4
Alrightee then. Thanks a lot! :smile:
Reply 5
you will have to check with the individual unis, i know for certain imperial does not require any gcse grades, however nottingham did (well i think so) at least i had to put down my gcse equivalent.

bother me if you need more help with IB & Med. (:
Reply 6
Okay, thanks a lot for the help!
I'm in the middle of doing my IGCSEs now .. studying for Chemistry extended theory on monday hehe :P

Alright then, I shall .. prior apologies to me pestering you with questions later on! hehe :P im pretty excited about the prospect of medical school cause .. ive been in the science stream since the beginning of high school and doing well .. and frankly I can't imagine myself sitting down studying economical hyperinflations or whatever :P
Reply 7
la.polista
Okay, thanks a lot for the help!
I'm in the middle of doing my IGCSEs now .. studying for Chemistry extended theory on monday hehe :P

Alright then, I shall .. prior apologies to me pestering you with questions later on! hehe :P im pretty excited about the prospect of medical school cause .. ive been in the science stream since the beginning of high school and doing well .. and frankly I can't imagine myself sitting down studying economical hyperinflations or whatever :P

that's what you think now, i actually could. well i did study economical hyperinflations during my 2 ib years.. zimbabwe anyone? :p:

nah, but it's all good if you do want to do this, and you do think it's the best for you :yep:

but use CAS wisely. do record everything (well most) that you do, and then show it to your referee so he can include the stuff in his/her reference. i made the mistake last year of not. i didnt even tell him to include that i had 4 HL's which made my life more difficult and got a bit lower predicted grades than the rest of them hopeful medic girlies in my year. [we were only girls btw] so yeah it's good to have like reflections and stuff so it's all legit.

because normally your teachers dont really know what you do outside of school, the thing with CAS is that it bring it all internally and the reference will be all legit with proof (:
Reply 8
HiBear
that's what you think now, i actually could. well i did study economical hyperinflations during my 2 ib years.. zimbabwe anyone? :p:

nah, but it's all good if you do want to do this, and you do think it's the best for you :yep:

but use CAS wisely. do record everything (well most) that you do, and then show it to your referee so he can include the stuff in his/her reference. i made the mistake last year of not. i didnt even tell him to include that i had 4 HL's which made my life more difficult and got a bit lower predicted grades than the rest of them hopeful medic girlies in my year. [we were only girls btw] so yeah it's good to have like reflections and stuff so it's all legit.

because normally your teachers dont really know what you do outside of school, the thing with CAS is that it bring it all internally and the reference will be all legit with proof (:

Haha wow, zimbabwe hyplerinflations. O.O the only hyperinflation im familiar with was the one i learned about in history class :P ehehee. Yeah well, for the IB I may have to take on SL Business Studies, something I'm not familiar with at all! :P It's either that or History. Doing HL English cause I heard that'll help you a lot with the essays you need to write for the applications!

Yeah well, honestly I've only gotten the full .. "desire" to get into medical school when i visited this site and read that you don't need HL maths. Ehehe. :P. You see, I've always been interested in going to medical school, yet the fear of having to do HL Maths was what kept me from wanting to go. Cause I know I'll definitely die in HL Maths (: (: So yes, pretty good news for me hoorah :P

CAS. Alright then, thanks for the heads up, you're right, that would be very useful for the apps. Wooh. I'm almost done with my IGCSEs, 2 more weeks to go, then I have 2.5 months of summer vacation .. then IB. When I would work my ass off. :P Hopefully I can go to England next summer to go university hopping!
Reply 9
la.polista
Haha wow, zimbabwe hyplerinflations. O.O the only hyperinflation im familiar with was the one i learned about in history class :P ehehee. Yeah well, for the IB I may have to take on SL Business Studies, something I'm not familiar with at all! :P It's either that or History. Doing HL English cause I heard that'll help you a lot with the essays you need to write for the applications!

Yeah well, honestly I've only gotten the full .. "desire" to get into medical school when i visited this site and read that you don't need HL maths. Ehehe. :P. You see, I've always been interested in going to medical school, yet the fear of having to do HL Maths was what kept me from wanting to go. Cause I know I'll definitely die in HL Maths (: (: So yes, pretty good news for me hoorah :P

CAS. Alright then, thanks for the heads up, you're right, that would be very useful for the apps. Wooh. I'm almost done with my IGCSEs, 2 more weeks to go, then I have 2.5 months of summer vacation .. then IB. When I would work my ass off. :P Hopefully I can go to England next summer to go university hopping!

actually, english HL is one of the most difficult HLs there is :s-smilie:
well the % that get a 7 is the least. i would suggest doing history, but with that said if you have a bad teacher, you wont get anywhere... :/

and you write more essays in history than english [so i have heard.. i didnt have history myself]

but yeah, math hl is a bit iffy if you're not really good at math >.<
but with htat said, newcastle want math hl [friend emailed them last year :eek:] so you should technically check first but most dont require them (:
Reply 10
HiBear
actually, english HL is one of the most difficult HLs there is :s-smilie:
well the % that get a 7 is the least. i would suggest doing history, but with that said if you have a bad teacher, you wont get anywhere... :/

and you write more essays in history than english [so i have heard.. i didnt have history myself]

but yeah, math hl is a bit iffy if you're not really good at math >.<
but with htat said, newcastle want math hl [friend emailed them last year :eek:] so you should technically check first but most dont require them (:

Hello HiBear!

I'm done with IGCSEs, been months now. I obtained 5 A*s including Biology and Mathematics, 1 A for Chemistry and 1 C for additional maths. I would like to kill my school now because I see all these people doing 12 GCSEs and getting 9284592 A*s.

PLUS for example, Edinburgh medschool in overall admits people with 8-11 A*s?! What am I to do. However I'm doing my IB, and am currently predicted 41 (and that's excluding extra 3 points)! With HL Chem, Bio and English A1 at 7, 7, 6.

I'm so worried though, will I not be taken into consideration just because I don't have a minimum of 8 A*s? Even though IF I in the end get really good predicted IB grades? Life is unfair.
Reply 11
(my school only offered 7 subjects per student.)
Reply 12
la.polista
Hello HiBear!

I'm done with IGCSEs, been months now. I obtained 5 A*s including Biology and Mathematics, 1 A for Chemistry and 1 C for additional maths. I would like to kill my school now because I see all these people doing 12 GCSEs and getting 9284592 A*s.

PLUS for example, Edinburgh medschool in overall admits people with 8-11 A*s?! What am I to do. However I'm doing my IB, and am currently predicted 41 (and that's excluding extra 3 points)! With HL Chem, Bio and English A1 at 7, 7, 6.

I'm so worried though, will I not be taken into consideration just because I don't have a minimum of 8 A*s? Even though IF I in the end get really good predicted IB grades? Life is unfair.

I can't really help you there. You should probably ask edinburgh yourself, though i have known people with even 43/41 (actuall grades, applying on their gap years) to be rejected from edinburgh.

though great you're doing so well in the IB hope you continue to do so and get those grades and get into med school :smile:
Hi, la polista, did you receive any offer? Are you in medical school now? I am in the same boat like you: 7 igcse subjects. Thinking to take IB. Is there any chance to get into medicine?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending