The Student Room Group

GCSE Geography- questions help?

Hey everybody.
I was looking through a past paper for my OCR geography spec C exam and I didn't know some of the answers to these questions.
any help will be appreciated!

1: What does a systems diagram look like?
2:What human impacts affects a Natural Hazard i.e earthquake or tropical storm
3:Again about Natural Hazards, the question was "with reference to specific examples, explain its global distribution
4:Lastly what human activities affect a physical landscape such as rivers,coasts etc

thank you so much in advanced.:biggrin: I've got another 2 papers to look through now.:frown:
Reply 1
IF anybody can help me i will seriously appreciate it. I need to know because I don't want to fail geography!
Last year, I did a different spec to you, so I'll answer what I can.
1. :dontknow:
2. Well, climate change and global warming could lead to an increase in natural hazards, say flooding in some areas or maybe increase the rate of tropical storms as some areas of water become hotter, so more tropical storms develop.
It could also refer to things like where people live. For example, if people lived near a volcano that erupts every thousand years or so, then if it erupts again, more people will be killed, than if the volcano was more active, where people wouldn't want to live. [Not sure if this bit would come under 'human impacts' though.]
3. All I'll say is, try earthquakes/volcanoes and fault lines.
4. I'd say things like buliding of houses mainly. It's basically different types of land use (such as types of sea defence or recreational use) and asking you how they affect these areas.

Hope that helps. :top:
Reply 3
I did a differnet specification to you, so I'm afriad we didn't cover the first question, but I think I can help with the rest. :smile:

2- You can define a hazard as something that endangers lives, or causes damage to property. The impact of that can be affected by where people live, so if you live on a volcano (more common in LEDCs due to the fertile soil, and subsistance farming) you're at a greater risk, increasing the hazard; an example of this is Mount Pinatubo in the Phillipines, where it had been dormant for about 500 years, so people weren't aware they were living on a volcano until it erupted in 1991.

You could also look at flooding, and the Mississippi river's a good example of this. They had various flood defences, such as levees, and used techniques such as cutting-through and stone wing grykes to make the river more suitable for transporting goods; however this made the river less able to hold water, and the levees raised the level of the river, so when it broke the flooding was far worse than if it's been naturally left to flood. :smile:

3- You could look at any tectonic hazards, and which type of boundary they're located on, e.g. the San Andreas Fault has a lot of earthquakes. You could also look at hurricanes, as they're mainly located between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn due to the ocean being heated most there. Also if you've studies tornadoes you could state how 80% of them occur in the USA, in a few states.

4- Talk about channelisation e.g. River Kissimee in Florida, or Mississippi as mentioned before for flooding. Coasts I haven't studies in a few years properly, but you can talk about how humans can prevent Succession, also how they prevent erosion to maintain the nicer beaches for tourism. And of course you could talk about global warming.

Hope some of that's relevant! :smile:
Reply 4
hey (:

1. I'm guessing the systems diagram is to do with an economic part of the exam? :s-smilie:
In my spec, the system diagram just means in industry where you have something like...

INPUTS -------------> PROCESS ------------> OUTPUTS

basically showing the system that industries go throughand what they use/ produce (: .. so things like Open (where profit is made) and Closed Systems.

e.g. INPUTS (raw materials, labour) ------> PROCESS (extraction, hot rolling ,etc) --------> OUTPUTS (profit, waste, pollution)

Might be different for your exam board.. but just my 2 cents :]
Reply 5
Champagne Supernova
Last year, I did a different spec to you, so I'll answer what I can.
1. :dontknow:
2. Well, climate change and global warming could lead to an increase in natural hazards, say flooding in some areas or maybe increase the rate of tropical storms as some areas of water become hotter, so more tropical storms develop.
It could also refer to things like where people live. For example, if people lived near a volcano that erupts every thousand years or so, then if it erupts again, more people will be killed, than if the volcano was more active, where people wouldn't want to live. [Not sure if this bit would come under 'human impacts' though.]
3. All I'll say is, try earthquakes/volcanoes and fault lines.
4. I'd say things like buliding of houses mainly. It's basically different types of land use (such as types of sea defence or recreational use) and asking you how they affect these areas.

Hope that helps. :top:

Wow thank you so much, yep most of that does help:smile:
2: I think your spot on for that! I didn't really understand that because the main natural hazard case study i know in depth the most is Kobe and Bhuj Earthquake so I was thinking you can't really change how it happens!
3:h:aha this is where my Earthquake case studies can come in, didn't really understand that term, I was thinking global distribution, hmm isn't that population:p:
4: sea defences? like groynes? they affect long shore drift and the built up of sediments on one side of the beach am I correct?
Oh yeah thanks a bunch again, it really helped me +rep
Reply 6
LozengeC
I did a differnet specification to you, so I'm afriad we didn't cover the first question, but I think I can help with the rest. :smile:

2- You can define a hazard as something that endangers lives, or causes damage to property. The impact of that can be affected by where people live, so if you live on a volcano (more common in LEDCs due to the fertile soil, and subsistance farming) you're at a greater risk, increasing the hazard; an example of this is Mount Pinatubo in the Phillipines, where it had been dormant for about 500 years, so people weren't aware they were living on a volcano until it erupted in 1991.

You could also look at flooding, and the Mississippi river's a good example of this. They had various flood defences, such as levees, and used techniques such as cutting-through and stone wing grykes to make the river more suitable for transporting goods; however this made the river less able to hold water, and the levees raised the level of the river, so when it broke the flooding was far worse than if it's been naturally left to flood. :smile:

3- You could look at any tectonic hazards, and which type of boundary they're located on, e.g. the San Andreas Fault has a lot of earthquakes. You could also look at hurricanes, as they're mainly located between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn due to the ocean being heated most there. Also if you've studies tornadoes you could state how 80% of them occur in the USA, in a few states.

4- Talk about channelisation e.g. River Kissimee in Florida, or Mississippi as mentioned before for flooding. Coasts I haven't studies in a few years properly, but you can talk about how humans can prevent Succession, also how they prevent erosion to maintain the nicer beaches for tourism. And of course you could talk about global warming.

Hope some of that's relevant! :smile:

Thank you for the help as well!
Thanks for the specific detail for number 3 such as the San andreas Fault and the tropics (the sea right?) where hurricanes form when the temperatures are most hottest!
+ rep as well:smile:
d_aan
Wow thank you so much, yep most of that does help:smile:
2: I think your spot on for that! I didn't really understand that because the main natural hazard case study i know in depth the most is Kobe and Bhuj Earthquake so I was thinking you can't really change how it happens!
3:h:aha this is where my Earthquake case studies can come in, didn't really understand that term, I was thinking global distribution, hmm isn't that population:p:
4: sea defences? like groynes? they affect long shore drift and the built up of sediments on one side of the beach am I correct?
Oh yeah thanks a bunch again, it really helped me +rep

No worries. :hat2:

2. Yeah, when they ask about hazards, don't jump into the whole earthquake scene all the time, think about other types, such as tropical storms and drought maybe.

3. Yeah, some questions have to be taken as they're written. If they wanted some stuff about population, they'd say that, but at least you know what they ask for if that comes up :top:

4. Yeah, that's the one and you could also say how longshore drift could also affect areas futher down the coast. (If you've done Holderness, then this is a good example as at Hornsea the groynes have affected Mappleton further down the coast, where protection has had to come in. This has also had an effect at a caravan park just to the south of Mappleton, where erosion rates have increased dramatically).

:smile: No worries, thank you. :yy:
Reply 8
sully1993
hey (:

1. I'm guessing the systems diagram is to do with an economic part of the exam? :s-smilie:
In my spec, the system diagram just means in industry where you have something like...

INPUTS -------------> PROCESS ------------> OUTPUTS

basically showing the system that industries go throughand what they use/ produce (: .. so things like Open (where profit is made) and Closed Systems.

e.g. INPUTS (raw materials, labour) ------> PROCESS (extraction, hot rolling ,etc) --------> OUTPUTS (profit, waste, pollution)

Might be different for your exam board.. but just my 2 cents :]

The input/process and outputs look familiar i've seen those before but not sure where might of been trade from raw materials to products?

I kinda understand what your trying to tell me, how could I use a systems diagram say a supermarket such as Tesco opening in a small town?
Reply 9
Champagne Supernova
No worries. :hat2:

2. Yeah, when they ask about hazards, don't jump into the whole earthquake scene all the time, think about other types, such as tropical storms and drought maybe.

3. Yeah, some questions have to be taken as they're written. If they wanted some stuff about population, they'd say that, but at least you know what they ask for if that comes up :top:

4. Yeah, that's the one and you could also say how longshore drift could also affect areas futher down the coast. (If you've done Holderness, then this is a good example as at Hornsea the groynes have affected Mappleton further down the coast, where protection has had to come in. This has also had an effect at a caravan park just to the south of Mappleton, where erosion rates have increased dramatically).

:smile: No worries, thankyou. :yy:

No problem!

4: we didn't do Holderness, I saw that in the examiners report that ots of candidates chose that as their example, at our school we just did our local area, so i'll settle for that:smile:
d_aan
No problem!

4: we didn't do Holderness, I saw that in the examiners report that ots of candidates chose that as their example, at our school we just did our local area, so i'll settle for that:smile:

Yeah, it's a popular choice. Well, that's even better, as you've been there and stuff! :smile:
My basic advice is, make sure you expand on an answer if you can! (But not so much you run out of time! :p: )
Reply 11
d_aan
The input/process and outputs look familiar i've seen those before but not sure where might of been trade from raw materials to products?

I kinda understand what your trying to tell me, how could I use a systems diagram say a supermarket such as Tesco opening in a small town?

I think of systems diagrams as showing how the industry/ business works, and what happens in the business. (Now im getting confused :p: *remembers to revise*)...

Soo for tesco (an open system) , i would say something like

INPUT (what do they need to start running? e.g raw materials, labour/ workforce, space, etc)

PROCESS (how do they make their products they want to sell) manufacturing, maybe even things like packaging, sourcing, advertising, accounting?

OUTPUTS (what does the company produce?) e.g. waste products, profit (important that you say part of the profit doesnt go back into the system to pay for MORE raw materials/ employment- hence it being an OPEN system),

SO you would draw the whole thing like...

Input-----> Process------> Output + profits taken out
^
---------------------------- |

So this just shows that some money is reused to pay for more labour, materials, etc
But then other money is taken out as pure profit.. man im hating this exam :frown:
Reply 12
what case study are you doing to involve system process diagram, but dont worry if you dont know all of the questions you only have to answer 4 out of 7, so you have choice, i hate the natural hazard case studies
Reply 13
sully1993
I think of systems diagrams as showing how the industry/ business works, and what happens in the business. (Now im getting confused :p: *remembers to revise*)...

Soo for tesco (an open system) , i would say something like

INPUT (what do they need to start running? e.g raw materials, labour/ workforce, space, etc)

PROCESS (how do they make their products they want to sell) manufacturing, maybe even things like packaging, sourcing, advertising, accounting?

OUTPUTS (what does the company produce?) e.g. waste products, profit (important that you say part of the profit doesnt go back into the system to pay for MORE raw materials/ employment- hence it being an OPEN system),

SO you would draw the whole thing like...

Input-----> Process------> Output + profits taken out
^
---------------------------- |

So this just shows that some money is reused to pay for more labour, materials, etc
But then other money is taken out as pure profit.. man im hating this exam :frown:

Thanks, if that comes up on the exam i'll know how to tackle it:wink:
I was looking at a past paper if I started writing about it then it said draw a systems diagram i was like wtf!

well cheers

good luck:smile:
do you only need to know case studies for paper 4h and not the dme?

Latest