The Student Room Group

N/A

….
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by bamsa
For context, i’m at the end of year 12, so this isn’t a choosing a levels post. I was just wondering how people who took these subjects together found them, in terms of difficulty, workload, enjoyability etc. I take geography rn and I’m starting to really despise it, but I stupidly didn’t take 4 subjects, so I can’t drop it now. So i’ve started to consider potentially staying an extra year to take biology instead. Biology would be far more useful for me, and I got a 9 at GCSE (triple) because I really enjoyed it. The main reason I didn’t take it was initially is because I didn’t think i’d be able to manage sciences as eventhough I enjoyed bio, I often found the exams really difficult and scraped a 9 by 2 marks. I chose geography as an easier subject (and got a 9 with less stress), and I’m predicted an A* it’s just i’m finding it really long and draining. Would it be worth switching now, or would it be super risky, as I don’t know what bio a level will be like. I want to do psych at uni, so bio isn’t essential (and I have two ‘sciences’) but it’s recommended. I’m also not sure if unis will look down on me staying for 3 years instead of 2 (as i’m likely to apply for cambridge and the london unis). Should I just keep geo? As i’m predicted 3 A*s, so if bio turns out badly, my grades will be compromised. How do I stop thinking about bio a level lol!!! I keep saying I will just stick, but I can’t stop thinking about bio and regretting my life choices. Can anyone offer any advice, or talk some sense?

I am in year 12 as well, and do biology and geography. I find geography quite dull at times but I do enjoy it. Biology is my favourite subject, but there are a lot of core practicals and it is quite content heavy. The mark schemes are much more specific than at GCSE, but I like the fact that I don't have to write essays for it (I also do RS for context, which is entirely essay based). I can't really give you much advice on what you should do, maybe speak to someone in your college/sixth form.
Original post by bamsa
Thanks for responding! With the amount of bio content, do you think it would be possible to learn the whole of year 12 bio over summer? As I’ve also considered trying to get the full a level by self teaching myself year 1 over summer and joining year 13 as normal. Or would this be way too unrealistic

If you have a good basic knowledge from GCSE (you got 9, you'll be fine) and prepared to work in summer, I don't see why not. AS bio isn't that hard. Basically more info built up from what you learned in GCSE
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by bamsa
Oohh really? For some reason everyone says bio is so rough content wise. I think I’ll give it a shot over summer as if it looks like too much I can just stop with it. How would you say year 13 bio is though? Like would it be ok to still continue w geo just incase (so doing 4), or does it get a lot harder (i’m assuming you’ve done your a levels or are in year 13- if not ignore this)? Thanks for your response :smile:

in yr 13 rn and i do both biology and geography.
I would say in terms of content biology isnt that difficult to learn. Some topics are ofc harder than others however it shouldn't be too difficult especially since your GCSEs have shown that you do well with the subject. I would say however the exam questions are application heavy often with suggest questions and strict mark schemes, so developing exam technique is more important if you want to do well and simply knowing the content isn't enough.
In terms of comparing difficulty between geography and biology it definitely depends on the person but geography for me has been more of a struggle. It can be boring and so revising takes a lot of discipline whereas biology has always been an interesting subject so when revising i dont find it difficult. With geography in year 13 you will do your NEA which takes a lot of time as well. I achieved an A* on this coursework which will help me with my overall grade, but it took a lot of research and time as well as stress to get it done.
Original post by bamsa
Thanks for responding! With the amount of bio content, do you think it would be possible to learn the whole of year 12 bio over summer? As I’ve also considered trying to get the full a level by self teaching myself year 1 over summer and joining year 13 as normal. Or would this be way too unrealistic

You could probably, but there are core practicals and the core practical component is assessed so you would have to do all the core practicals which would not be possible from home - I would speak to someone at your college/sixth form about it.
Reply 5
Original post by bamsa
For context, i’m at the end of year 12, so this isn’t a choosing a levels post. I was just wondering how people who took these subjects together found them, in terms of difficulty, workload, enjoyability etc. I take geography rn and I’m starting to really despise it, but I stupidly didn’t take 4 subjects, so I can’t drop it now. So i’ve started to consider potentially staying an extra year to take biology instead. Biology would be far more useful for me, and I got a 9 at GCSE (triple) because I really enjoyed it. The main reason I didn’t take it was initially is because I didn’t think i’d be able to manage sciences as eventhough I enjoyed bio, I often found the exams really difficult and scraped a 9 by 2 marks. I chose geography as an easier subject (and got a 9 with less stress), and I’m predicted an A* it’s just i’m finding it really long and draining. Would it be worth switching now, or would it be super risky, as I don’t know what bio a level will be like. I want to do psych at uni, so bio isn’t essential (and I have two ‘sciences’) but it’s recommended. I’m also not sure if unis will look down on me staying for 3 years instead of 2 (as i’m likely to apply for cambridge and the london unis). Should I just keep geo? As i’m predicted 3 A*s, so if bio turns out badly, my grades will be compromised. How do I stop thinking about bio a level lol!!! I keep saying I will just stick, but I can’t stop thinking about bio and regretting my life choices. Can anyone offer any advice, or talk some sense?

Heya!
I would recommend talking to your teacher and see what they say. Make sure to thoroughly research the requirements and preferences of your target universities to ensure that not having bio won't negatively impact your chances of admission. If you don't need bio then why stay an extra year to do bio alvl? In the first year at uni they will most likely cover alvl biology content so don't worry too much, while it would be helpful to have some bio background, it's not a must :h: Ultimately, trust your instincts and make a decision that aligns with your interests and aspirations! If it helps, Study Mind has lots of free bio resources that can help you out!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest