The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
loftx
Are there people out there who take 12 gcses or 7 alevels (including AS's)? Is it very rare? Personally I don't know on anyone who has done either but I need to know for some stuff I am doing on my website, so can anyone give me an idea of how rare it is for people to take this many.

Cheers

Tom

One girl at my school took 12 GCSEs (1 taken a few years early).
One girl (not the same one) did 7 A Levels and 1 A/S.

But those are two people from literally thousands who've studied at my school.
Reply 2
I have heard of one person who got 7 As at A2... but they had finished A-Level maths and further maths by year 11

It is extremely rare tho
Reply 3
How do you mean by 12 GCSEs? I'm taking the following, which could be perceived as 12 GCSEs, but isn't really because it involves a short course:

English Language
English Literature
Double Science (which does count as two GCSEs as far as I know)
Maths
German
French
Business studies
Food technology (short course)
Religious education
History
Geography

As far as rates go, there's about 5 of us taking this amount in a school of about 250 GCSE students. Hope that helps somewhat. :smile:

Edited to add: As far as I know, all of us have been predicted A's and A*'s.
Reply 4
Cheers guys, another question - do you get given predicted grades at GCSE? I should know but it's too far back to remember.
Reply 5
loftx
Cheers guys, another question - do you get given predicted grades at GCSE? I should know but it's too far back to remember.

Yes, we do.
Reply 6
loftx

Yes, although I was only told my History prediction. They just go off to the exam board, and if they differ wildly from your final grade, they can investigate it.
Reply 7
SugarPlum
How do you mean by 12 GCSEs? I'm taking the following, which could be perceived as 12 GCSEs, but isn't really because it involves a short course:

I actually was thinking of counting double science as 1 GCSE (even though I know it is worth 2). also thanks for bringing my attention to short course GCSEs - hard forgotten all about them.
Reply 8
My year has 1 with 12 GCSEs, she got A or above for all of them I think. A nice friend to have if I may say so...
I got 11, the norm in my year was 10 but I took up Statistics, with grade A the result :biggrin:

As for A-Levels one guy in my year had already done A-Level Maths in year 10 (grade A), in August he got six As as AS for Physics, Biology, Chemistry, History, ICT and Electronics. He cashed in the History and Electronics, and has taken up the Further Maths A-Level in this one year. And he has applied to do Medicine at Peterhouse, Cambridge. With 480 points already there's no way he ain't getting in anywhere! Makes a mockery of my humble four A-Levels, currently with grades AABB at AS...
Reply 9
loftx
I actually was thinking of counting double science as 1 GCSE (even though I know it is worth 2). also thanks for bringing my attention to short course GCSEs - hard forgotten all about them.

Okie dokie. Glad to have been of some help. :biggrin: Good luck with your website. :smile:
Reply 10
Sorry 1 more question - I seem to recall someone talking triple science, Is this valued as 3 GCSE's? Also are there any other strange GCSE anomalies i may have missed?

Thanks everyone for the quick replies

Tom
Reply 11
loftx
Sorry 1 more question - I seem to recall someone talking triple science, Is this valued as 3 GCSE's? Also are there any other strange GCSE anomalies i may have missed?

Tom

Yes, it's 3 GCSEs (Bio, Chem and Physics separately).
Reply 12
loftx

Tom

Triple science is three.

And there are doofuses out there e.g. my brother who lists his Intermediate GNVQ as four more GCSEs (making his count 15, balls!!!) despite this meaning squat as an equivalent indicator.
About 5 girls in my school took 12 GCSEs last year, and the most ASs we can do is 5 (due to timetabling), but I know a girl who's doing 2 extra at evening classes.
Reply 14
JuniperBlue
but I know a girl who's doing 2 extra at evening classes.

How utterly sad.
Reply 15
Yes I took 12 GCSEs, but I don't class it as particularly rare since I went to a standard state school where over 30 out of 350 students took 12 GCSEs. I don't know of anybody who will be taking 7 A-levels, but there is talk that somone at my college last year achieved 8 A's at A-level. I believe this was possible since it included General Studies, and 3 maths A-levels. Apparently, the first 6 units are Maths, second 6 are Further Maths, and third 6 are "Additional Further Maths." According to most textbooks there are 25 possible modules, so this seems a possibility.

I would say that you have to count triple award science as 3 GCSEs because it is possible to get different grades in all 3 of them, but I am somewhat biased having done it myself.
Reply 16
Qualcuno

I would say that you have to count triple award science as 3 GCSEs because it is possible to get different grades in all 3 of them, but I am somewhat biased having done it myself.

It is 3 separate GCSEs because you took all of them individually. Didn't you ever look at your certificates?
Tek
How utterly sad.

And pointless. Someone told me that UCAS only count the first 4 subjects for points.
Reply 18
JuniperBlue
And pointless. Someone told me that UCAS only count the first 4 subjects for points.

Do they not realise that they'd be much better off putting their efforts into the 4 subjects they do at school?
Reply 19
Tek
It is 3 separate GCSEs because you took all of them individually. Didn't you ever look at your certificates?

Well I don't have the certificates yet, but I suppose the statements of results should have made it obvious to me :frown: To be honest, I don't have anything to compare it to. What does it say on your results with a double science GCSE? Is it two grades on the same line or just a single grade?

Latest

Trending

Trending