The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snufkin
AA100 has almost no history content, if you're thinking about Oxford then A200 is the way to go. That said, OU standalone modules are very expensive and to my mind, not worth it. There is a list of free online university modules in my signature, do any of them interest you?

American History and Economic History interest me. It seems, however, that they require Swedish aptitude tests.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Hmmm despite my OCAS being at a pass 1 for all my modules this year I've been given a pass 3 overall presumably based solely on my exam results (always been awful at exams). Is there any point us completing assignments all year round if they don't get taken into consideration?!
Original post by Leanney
Hmmm despite my OCAS being at a pass 1 for all my modules this year I've been given a pass 3 overall presumably based solely on my exam results (always been awful at exams). Is there any point us completing assignments all year round if they don't get taken into consideration?!

Commiserations, that must be really frustrating. I've always disliked the way they do that. You do come across people who say it's essential to do it that way 'because students might get someone else to do all their TMAs' so having the exam balances that, but I've always thought, just as you say, that it's hard on people who struggle with exams. Also that doesn't account for modules with an EMA, so I think it's a silly argument.

What subject are you doing? Are all the modules ones with exams, or are there any where you do an EMA instead?
Reply 9583
After two results a lot worse than expected, I've decided to call it a day and not do the last 90 credits of the degree. Disappointed but its definitely time to move on
The cheating theory also makes no sense because most brick universities include essays in their assessment without assuming students are cheaters.
Original post by Persipan
Commiserations, that must be really frustrating. I've always disliked the way they do that. You do come across people who say it's essential to do it that way 'because students might get someone else to do all their TMAs' so having the exam balances that, but I've always thought, just as you say, that it's hard on people who struggle with exams. Also that doesn't account for modules with an EMA, so I think it's a silly argument.

What subject are you doing? Are all the modules ones with exams, or are there any where you do an EMA instead?

Oh I've never heard of that but I agree it is a silly argument. Plus if that was the case then cut assignments! I could do without the stress of completing them throughout the year if they're essentially pointless! Only one module had an exam, the other two had an EMA. For the exam module I got a pass 3 and for the other 2 I got a pass 3 on one of them (my EMA was marked at 61 considerably different to my OCAS average of 91% and barely any feedback was given on why I got the score I did) and I got a pass 2 for the other module. I'll probably get a pass 3 for my degree overall now which I'm really disappointed about but oh well.

Original post by 1203
After two results a lot worse than expected, I've decided to call it a day and not do the last 90 credits of the degree. Disappointed but its definitely time to move on
The cheating theory also makes no sense because most brick universities include essays in their assessment without assuming students are cheaters.

I'm sorry about that, although I sort of feel the same way at the moment. It's so frustrating and unfair.
Original post by johnnycoolhair
American History and Economic History interest me. It seems, however, that they require Swedish aptitude tests.

They don't, they're taught in English.
I know how you feel. I achieved a Grade 1 for OCAS and Grade 2 for OAS. Actually, I'm feeling quite angry and like, 'what's the point'?
Original post by laalNick
Lol. When is the due by date for the results?

My advice; pour drink and drink it
Repeat as necessary until exam results forgotten! (and keep busy away from OU website ha!!!)

I think I need a stiff drink now because I'm depressed. Did very well at my OCAS (Grade 1) than got a mean mark on my OES which brought down my module result to Grade 2. I worked hard for it and just feel angry now. What winds me up most is the brief and unhelpful description for my EMA - it doesn't explain where I lost marks.
Original post by Snufkin
They don't, they're taught in English.

It turns out both courses are closed to applications.

Have you done A200 yourself and do you have any sample materials? I'm just looking to assess for myself if it would be worth the £2500 plus it's going to cost.

Aside from the OU, there seems to be no other options for university level study to build my academic confidence.

The trouble is that though I have options to start at a traditional university this September I feel I would be ill prepared. In other words, I know I want to give myself a year but I don't how to fill it if the OU standalone module is not worth the cost.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by johnnycoolhair
It turns out both courses are closed to applications.

Have you done A200 yourself and do you have any sample materials? I'm just looking to assess for myself if it would be worth the £2500 plus it's going to cost.

Aside from the OU, there seems to be no other options for university level study to build my academic confidence.

The trouble is that though I have options to start at a traditional university this September I feel I would be ill prepared. In other words, I know I want to give myself a year but I don't how to fill it if the OU standalone module is not worth the cost.

I phoned up that Swedish university last week to enquire about a course and they said that even though the deadline to apply has passed, there was a fair chance I'd get in if I applied now. Maybe the same is true for the modules you're interested in?

I haven't done A200 but I do have the A200 pdf textbooks if you want them (PM me your email). You could just read the books and attempt the essay questions yourself to prepare for brick university, you don't need to have them marked.
Original post by sputum
M337 results are out right now.
I have a first class maths degree:smile:

Congrats!!

How did you find you maths degree and how many hours would you recommend to spend in a week for the course?

Im feelin like doing one too:biggrin:
Original post by @( ̄- ̄)@
Congrats!!

How did you find you maths degree and how many hours would you recommend to spend in a week for the course?

Im feelin like doing one too:biggrin:

I absolutely loved it. Tutors are great, materials are generally better than any other sources I've found and maths works really well via distance learning. They have replaced almost all the courses in my degree but the replacements seem up to it.

Hours per week vary wildly from person to person and module to module, even within modules. It's more a case of seeing how many hours it takes:smile:
Blimey, booking graduation was a bit of a bunfight. I managed to do it (eventually) but they ended up suspending it until Wednesday because the whole system evidently fell over. I can't think why it would come as a surprise that lots of people were trying to book...
Hi! I am new to the forum. I wanted to know if anyone is currently/dne the open BSc degree and how they finding it. Also is anyone starting it this October?.
Original post by Mysterious92
Hi! I am new to the forum. I wanted to know if anyone is currently/dne the open BSc degree and how they finding it. Also is anyone starting it this October?.

Student Finance matey.
Apply for 2016/2017 part time application if you're intending to study part time.

They've really trimmed down the process. Not as difficult as it was a few years ago
The graduation booking omnishambles seems to be going from strength to strength if Twitter is to be believed - apparently now their payment systems aren't working and you can only book by phone...
Excellent news. Would anyone fancy doing a second degree now that you can get funding?

Student support for part-time students starting a second degree course in STEM subjects.

Most students who hold a higher education qualification are currently not entitled to apply for additional fee loan for a second course if that course leads to a qualification that is equivalent or lower in level (ELQ) than their previous Higher Education qualification. The Government has previously relaxed ELQ rules in order to help people who already hold an honours degree qualification but who wish to retrain in some science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) subjects. Students studying second degree courses on a part-time basis can already apply for fee loans for part-time second degree courses in engineering, technology or computer science. I can confirm today that ELQ rules are being further relaxed to allow students wishing to start a second honours degree course on a part-time basis from 1 August 2017 onwards to apply for fee loans towards degree courses in the following additional STEM subjects: subjects allied to medicine; biological sciences; veterinary sciences, agriculture and related subjects; physical sciences and mathematical sciences.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-statement/Commons/2016-07-21/HCWS117/
Original post by Snufkin
Excellent news. Would anyone fancy doing a second degree now that you can get funding?

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-statement/Commons/2016-07-21/HCWS117/

Well, this one was already my second bachelor's, so at some point I should probably ease up! (Although, that said, if the fees had stayed at TA levels forever, is probably have just pottered along doing one after another). So, I'm thinking Master's now...

I do think it's good that funding is more widely available, though.
Original post by Mysterious92

Hello Mysterious92
I am also starting an Open degree (U116) in October. At this early stage I'm thinking that environment and development will form the core of my degree, how about you?
You can actually contest this result if you feel that you've be graded inaccurately.

Quick Reply

Latest