The Student Room Group

What do you need to get into ivy league universities?

What do you need to get into ivy league universities? I'm a uk student and am interested in mechanical engineering. With my grades what colleges could I get generally?

My grades

Gcse:

Science (single award) -A
Maths - B
English Literature - B
English Language - A
German- B
Geography - A
Drama- C
Classical civilisation – B
Religious studies – A

A levels

Maths – A
Physics - B
Chemistry - B

As level

Biology - B

Thanks

silverzon1617
This is just speculation. But i'm pretty sure you would need better grades than that to be considored. I believe you have to then sit an entrance exam which is extremely hard that you pretty much need to ace.

Or be really rich.
Reply 2
silverzon1617
What do you need to get into ivy league universities? I'm a uk student and am interested in mechanical engineering. With my grades what colleges could I get generally?

My grades

Gcse:

Maths - B
English Literature - B
English Language - A
German- B
Geography - A
Drama- C
Religious studies – A

A levels

Maths – A
Physics - B
Chemistry - B

As level

Biology - B

Thanks

silverzon1617

If you really want to study Mechanical Engineering in the states, the best Ivy for that is Cornell, then Possibely Princeton and Columbia. Brown, even though the department is not as strong as the above three, has an open curriculum, which you could take advantage of, and focus what side of mechanical engineering you really like (medical etc.) Other than that, Ivy engineering departments are not that strong. You should look into schools like the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the California Institute of Technology, and Carnegie Mellon University if you want TOP NOTCH engineering programs. Other than the three Ivy's I listed, most of them do not have top notch programs. (For study in the US)

I am an American student, I have an account on here for IB stuff. Feel free to PM me for more Info.
Reply 3
Thank you for the reply.

I am interested mainly in aviation and midly interested in cars.
Reply 4
silverzon1617

My grades

Gcse:

Maths - B
English Literature - B
English Language - A
German- B
Geography - A
Drama- C
Religious studies – A

A levels

Maths – A
Physics - B
Chemistry - B

As level

Biology - B

Thanks

silverzon1617

don't listen to these people, they know nothing about going to university in the US.

Over there they don't do A-Levels or anything like it. There are no public qualifications at all. So whilst you A-Levels etc are indicative they aren't used to decide admissions as much as they are in the UK.

What you need to do is:

- Sit the SAT (a standarized test). You need to score as high as possible.
- Perhaps do a few APs (Advanced Placement Tests --- like an A-Level but just an exam, no lead in/coursework/teaching --- if you've got a decent A-Level in something then getting an AP in it is very dooable)
- Now the most important part: the application. In addition to telling them your qualifications and writing a personal statement like with UCAS you have to submit a collection of admissions essays. This is where it's make or break.
- To really stand out have some great extra-cirricular activities. Be diverse and different. Don't just roll up there with a few GCSEs and A-Levels and expect them to take you --- WHAT SETS YOU APART? It's so competitive... every American kid who's driven like crazy to suceed will have a list of extra-cirriculars at 18 longer than your average Brit's CV at 25.

It's a slog, but it's dooable and there are incresing numbers of Brits in the US. Focus on the SAT first... it's very different to what you're used to from tests in the UK. Get a Kaplan SAT book, prep, do some online practice tests and then go for it in either London, Manchester or Edinburgh.
Reply 5
I'm sorry to tell you this but your grades are not the best and probably not Ivy League standard. Your A-Level and GCSE grades are second to SAT/ACT scores. So, if you can get good marks on the SATs, then you might have a chance.
Reply 6
arkadykris
don't listen to these people, they know nothing about going to university in the US.

Over there they don't do A-Levels or anything like it. There are no public qualifications at all. So whilst you A-Levels etc are indicative they aren't used to decide admissions as much as they are in the UK.

What you need to do is:

- Sit the SAT (a standarized test). You need to score as high as possible.
- Perhaps do a few APs (Advanced Placement Tests --- like an A-Level but just an exam, no lead in/coursework/teaching --- if you've got a decent A-Level in something then getting an AP in it is very dooable)
- Now the most important part: the application. In addition to telling them your qualifications and writing a personal statement like with UCAS you have to submit a collection of admissions essays. This is where it's make or break.
- To really stand out have some great extra-cirricular activities. Be diverse and different. Don't just roll up there with a few GCSEs and A-Levels and expect them to take you --- WHAT SETS YOU APART? It's so competitive... every American kid who's driven like crazy to suceed will have a list of extra-cirriculars at 18 longer than your average Brit's CV at 25.

It's a slog, but it's dooable and there are incresing numbers of Brits in the US. Focus on the SAT first... it's very different to what you're used to from tests in the UK. Get a Kaplan SAT book, prep, do some online practice tests and then go for it in either London, Manchester or Edinburgh.

Well, I do know about Uni in the US, I live there.

but what this user is saying is absolutely true. you need quality extracurricular to set you apart, and high SAT scores. Furthermore, you need SAT subject tests, which if you are taking the A-levels and the AP, they should be a breeze.

Moreover, you want to not only get a publisher book for the SATs etc.. (all except sparknotes), you also want to get the official guides from the Collegeboard because those exams in the official Collegeboard books are the most accurate- because they are made by the exam's maker.
Reply 7
Thank you for all you replies and help.:eek: seems that there is so much to do to go to uni in the US!
Reply 8
silverzon1617
Thank you for all you replies and help.:eek: seems that there is so much to do to go to uni in the US!

Yes there is lots to do, but there is a thing called the Common Application, which is similar to UCAS, except individual schools have supplemental applications.
Reply 9
Hi there!!:woo: I dont know if this thread has died but I will post anyway :p:

You may want to look at some of the other liberal arts colleges and universities in America. There are plenty out there that will provide you with an excellent “Ivy League” education despite not being part of the official "Ivy League". You may also find yourself in a less stressful and more supportive environment :wink: if you get my gist....

Heres a link to a list of some of these private institutions.

Just remember to not rely solely on stats and rankings to help you choose an institute, try and get opinions from people who have actually studied there as well.
Reply 10
Hi there!!:woo: I dont know if this thread has died but I will post anyway :p:

You may want to look at some of the other liberal arts colleges and universities in America. There are plenty out there that will provide you with an excellent “Ivy League” education despite not being part of the official "Ivy League". You may also find yourself in a less stressful and more supportive environment :wink: if you get my gist....

Heres a link to a list of some of these private institutions.

Just remember to not rely solely on stats and rankings to help you choose an institute, try and get opinions from people who have actually studied there as well.
You need at least 2A* and 1A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending