The Student Room Group

I want to apply to the USA

How would I begin to do this? I'd like to apply to ivy leagues etc, I'm going to be taking a gap year and I live in England. I have a few questions.
1) Will my achieved A levels account for my lack of GPA scores etc
2) When will I sit my entrance exams? Will it be the following year? Can you choose the date?
I would also appreciate some general guidance and advice. thank you in advance
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by epoch.ly
How would I begin to do this? I'd like to apply to ivy leagues etc, I'm going to be taking a gap year and I live in England. I have a few questions.
2) When will I sit my entrance exams? Will it be the following year? Can you choose the date?

You don't have a GPA, since you're in a UK school, so yes - your A-Levels will be what they use for admission.

You can sit the standardized tests in year 12 or year 13. Do not take them during your gap year, as you will not have another opportunity to take them again if you mess up for whatever reason.

Some general advice can be found on the stickied thread titled "US University Application Guide". It gives helpful info about the whole application process, and even a note about the "Ivy League" and why it's not necessarily always the best option.

What do you want to study? Will you need financial assistance? If you can answer these questions, I may be able to give some guidance on universities to research.
Reply 2
Original post by ry7xsfa
You don't have a GPA, since you're in a UK school, so yes - your A-Levels will be what they use for admission.

You can sit the standardized tests in year 12 or year 13. Do not take them during your gap year, as you will not have another opportunity to take them again if you mess up for whatever reason.

Some general advice can be found on the stickied thread titled "US University Application Guide". It gives helpful info about the whole application process, and even a note about the "Ivy League" and why it's not necessarily always the best option.

What do you want to study? Will you need financial assistance? If you can answer these questions, I may be able to give some guidance on universities to research.

Thank you for that!! To be honest it’s not my first option and I want to study medicine, IDEALLY in the UK, so I don’t really mind if I can’t retake it. It was simply out of a sort of interest , USA being my safety net, if possible. And I will likely be requiring financial assistance . Thanks, I will take a look at that thread :smile:
Reply 3

Hii..

The application process for Ivy League schools is very competitive, so it's important to start early. The Common Application opens in August, and you'll need to submit your application, test scores, letters of recommendation, and other materials by the deadline, which is usually in January.

Take the SAT or ACT. The SAT and ACT are standardized tests that are required for admission to most Ivy League schools. You can take the SAT or ACT multiple times, so it's important to take the test early and often to get your best score.

Your A levels will be considered by the admissions committee, but they're not the only factor that will be considered. The admissions committee will also look at your SAT or ACT scores, your grades in other subjects, your extracurricular activities, and your letters of recommendation.

You can take the SAT or ACT multiple times, so you can choose to take the test early and often to get your best score. The SAT is offered seven times a year, and the ACT is offered six times a year. You can choose to take the test on a date that works for you.
Thank you for that!! To be honest it’s not my first option and I want to study medicine, IDEALLY in the UK, so I don’t really mind if I can’t retake it. It was simply out of a sort of interest , USA being my safety net, if possible. And I will likely be requiring financial assistance . Thanks, I will take a look at that thread :smile:

The USA should not be your safety net. Studying Medicine in the US is incredibly complicated and takes far longer than in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending