The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Fawn
I'm assuming in a field as competitive as medicine, if you can't manage to try and focus yourself and try your best at an apititude test, then surely you're not going to go very far.

If you're not a medical applicant/student don't bother posting. What makes you think I'm not trying or focusing.
An aptitude test isn't like an exam, unfortunately. It's not a memory test which is probably the main reason you're finding it difficult.
Reply 22
Reicey_x
If you're not a medical applicant/student don't bother posting. What makes you think I'm not trying or focusing.

You've admitted defeat in your thread title.
Reply 23
No, I calculate everything the way I think you're supposed to and I get it wrong as I find the book has done something completely different. I only found 2/8 scenarios a breeze.
Fawn

Why are you here? You know nothing about the test, nothing about medicine and obviously nothing about supporting and helping the OP.
Reply 25
Fawn

that doesn't mean I've stopped trying. Why are you so argumentative? If you think I'm so stupid then don't reply and provoke me.
Fawn -
I've been reading this thread, trying to gain some good advice, thankfully, I've gained that from Degausser. On the other hand, I've found your posts deeply frustrating and just plain annoying. I wonder if you've tried the test, or practice tests, as I'd be very interested to see how you get on.
The OP is asking for advice, but you keep coming back, either insulting or degrading people.
You wont be able to do them with ease the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th time, but at some point you will find your technique and they will come easier.

The only thing you can do is keep trying practise questions over and over and over again, until you develop a technique.

In the real test you will be very unlikely to finish 100% any of the sections correctly in the time required, so do as many questions as you can then guess the rest.

Too those who guessed last year, what guessing technique did you use?

All A or A then B then C then D or randomly or after removing the wrong answers?
vas876
You wont be able to do them with ease the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th time, but at some point you will find your technique and they will come easier.

The only thing you can do is keep trying practise questions over and over and over again, until you develop a technique.

In the real test you will be very unlikely to finish 100% any of the sections correctly in the time required, so do as many questions as you can then guess the rest.

Too those who guessed last year, what guessing technique did you use?

All A or A then B then C then D or randomly or after removing the wrong answers?

I guessed what I thought was the right answer after eliminating any obvious wrong answers. I wouldn't guess randomly unless i was about to run out of time :p:
UKcat is bs.
Reply 30
Reicey_x

I found the quantitative reasoning section hard and I ended up getting 770.

Your perception =/= reality.
Baki

:biggrin:
Did you guess or actually work most of them out?
And are all of the questions longgggg (like in the 600 question book)?

Is anyone using the red "Suceeding in the UKCAT book"? I don't trust those questions.....hmmm
Baki

Here the damper on the mood. I thought i rocked DA. Got 540 :sad:
Hi OP

Don't worry if you're having problems- it's normal. The Quantitive Reasoning section is hard to do in the time limit and even in the real thing, it's unlikely many people will actually finish it in the time they allow. I didn't finish it and yet I still got 770.

The best thing to do is to answer the ones you know you can, and then skip the ones you know will not be able to/will take too long, and then come back to them at the end and do them, or make educated guesses (i.e. eliminate the answers which seem to be wrong).

Some universities use it as a sort of GCSE balance thing (King's- their website says that for 2008 entry they took candidates with an average score between 500 (and something) and 700 (and something)- i can't remember the exact numbers), SGUL only requires that candidates take the test (they don't use the score, except if you're placed on the waiting list) and others have a specific cut-off score (Barts/Nottingham)... so you can make decisions based on your results. Good luck :smile:
Reply 34
Degausser
Here the damper on the mood. I thought i rocked DA. Got 540 :sad:

Same here.

I got 400.

With UKCAT, you don't know what you are good at because the grade boundaries are different for each one.

Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
:biggrin:
Did you guess or actually work most of them out?
And are all of the questions longgggg (like in the 600 question book)?

Is anyone using the red "Suceeding in the UKCAT book"? I don't trust those questions.....hmmm

Guessed a 1/4. Did the rest.
another ib-er

Some universities use it as a sort of GCSE balance thing (King's- their website says that for 2008 entry they took candidates with an average score between 500 (and something) and 700 (and something)- i can't remember the exact numbers), SGUL only requires that candidates take the test (they don't use the score, except if you're placed on the waiting list) and others have a specific cut-off score (Barts/Nottingham)... so you can make decisions based on your results. Good luck :smile:

Yea you go on believing that!
why would they lie on their website/prospectus etc? besides they do use it for the waiting list- i didn't say they never use it.
they interview everyone who meets their criteria (something like an average of 8As at GCSE and certain predicted grades) so that means they can make offers to people after interview without looking at their ukcat scores- they obviously don't put everyone on the waiting list.
Reply 37
Last year I worked out as many as I could then I just guessed likely answers..It was my lowest score (690) but I jsut made up for it by doing better on the other sections, don't worry about it =]
Reply 38
oh yeah and OP its not math. its maths
another ib-er
why would they lie on their website/prospectus etc? besides they do use it for the waiting list- i didn't say they never use it.
they interview everyone who meets their criteria (something like an average of 8As at GCSE and certain predicted grades) so that means they can make offers to people after interview without looking at their ukcat scores- they obviously don't put everyone on the waiting list.

They are all liers, ahh what you still have to learn.

Kings Medical School Admissions
Your UKCAT scores will be considered in our selection for interview. They will not be the sole indicator for selection. They will be balanced against achievement in other areas, in particular your academic performance to date. All indicators will be considered together in deciding who will be selected for interview. It is therefore important to understand that there is no universal 'cut off' score for the UKCAT

Although we know that the do use it as a Huge indicator, they remove people dependant on their UKCAT sore and Number of A*s at GCSE.

They don't have that in their admission policy though, are they lying? No but they are not revealing all of the truth either, otherwise they would not be able to reject people before interview.

Latest

Trending

Trending