The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I've seen many a chav enthralled by a minuet.
I probably wouldn't listen to Classical had my junior school not played different pieces in assembly each morning, and in particular, The Moonlight Sonata; it kind of got me pumped for the rest of the day. I wouldn't openly admit to being a lover of this genre though, but if someone asked me then yeah.. why not.

BTW, if you've not heard the 3rd movement of The Moonlight Sonata, LISTEN TO IT. It's gold. Pure gold.
Reply 42
Il Duce
Well, it's not relaxing, but the interpretation is kind of shallow, in my opinion.

In what way? I have listened to a fair amount of performances and that is one of my favourites, though I wouldn't consider myself a fan of Toscanini in general.
I'm from a working class background too and I love classical.

I was lucky enough to have some very cheap piano lessons for a while and I think that got me introduced to it, but I'm pretty sure I would have liked it anyway. I've always been inclined to listen to what I like hearing rather than listen to one genre or what I think I 'should' listen to. My mum was a single parent and we lived along together from when I was 3 until 7 - my music taste was probably influenced by hers slightly, and she very often listened to compilation CDs like Pure Moods to help her relax (my dad left when I was 3 and she was really distraught). Some of the music I heard during that time definitely stayed with me and influenced what I was to like, I think. But like I said I think I'm just naturally inclined to like it anyway, regardless of what I would be culturally stereotyped to listen to.

"Black Violin" (artist) is a very interesting mix of classical and what a lot of stereotyped 'lower classes' would listen to, i.e. rap/ hip hop/ pop. It's actually really good. :smile:
Altruistic1
I probably wouldn't listen to Classical had my junior school not played different pieces in assembly each morning, and in particular, The Moonlight Sonata; it kind of got me pumped for the rest of the day. I wouldn't openly admit to being a lover of this genre though, but if someone asked me then yeah.. why not.

BTW, if you've not heard the 3rd movement of The Moonlight Sonata, LISTEN TO IT. It's gold. Pure gold.

Good choice, good choice :yep: I used to be able to play the entire thing from memory; it is one of the most beautiful pieces I know, I'll always have a lot of love for it. :smile:
Lord_Farquad
Yes. Lower/middle class do not know how to appreciate it.

One of the greatest classical songs in my opinion is Requiem for a Dream:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDFqyxJZULg

:heart: :heart: :heart:

One of my favourite pieces of all time, it's absolutely haunting. Clint Mansell is a GENIUS, as are Hans Zimmer and Philip Glass - my favourite composers. Not that everyone would agree, but personally I just adore them. Ahhh, Requiem :suith:

Sorry for the spam, I'm just really passionate about classical music :shy2:
i have to admit the main person i know who listens to exclusively classical music is very middle class. that being said he is one of he nicest blokes ive ever met, a true gentleman.

Im far from middle class and i enjoy classical music but my music tastes is considered strange even from other rockers and the music i listen to has many a classical instrument in it
I'm sure there are working class people who like to play classical music on piano.
I go to one of the most prestigious private schools in the country, and I like classical music.
Reply 49
Unfortunately too few people listen to classical music these days, and this trend isn't really reserved for any class.
Reply 50
The working class can enjoy classical music.
Reply 51
MSB
The working class can enjoy classical music.

Did you have to post that? :angry:
Tiesticle should be shot for raping that. Listen to the remix by William Orbit and Ferry Corsten. :smile:
Reply 52
You get a lot of chavvy-sounding people calling Classic FM for requests.
Reply 53
Im not a huge fan of classical music but i did find Vivaldi's four seasons amazing hearing it live. Our art class was lucky enough to be able to hear it when we went to Venice and was amazing. I come from a middle class background but i would say that many more upper class people associate themselves with classical music. Tbf i prefer my metal but hey Vivaldi and paganini i do like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe-MIDDfckw
A myriad of reasons - think of it like this:

1) How often do you see classical music events featured in mass-market publications such as The Sun or Take-a-Break magazine? (More people read Take-a-Break magazine on a weekly basis than they do all the Sunday broadsheets put together).

2) How easy is it to remember the names of the tracks? Remember that so many have been re-recorded that when they are mentioned on the radio you have movement, composer, conductor, orchestra, date of recording, key it's composed in and maybe the album it's on. It's a bit like saying Wonderwall composed by Noel Gallagher performed by Oasis in 1995, performed in the studios of Creation Records in (whatever key it's in) and featured on their famous album, (What's the Story) Morning Glory? Now, can you imagine the radio DJ mentioning ALL of that every time a song has finished?

3) Do the people who present classical music stations sound like they are from working class backgrounds?

4) The nature of music examinations puts a strong "academic" slant onto music that may otherwise not necessarily be there in the eyes of some. Some of the best musicians didn't need piano lessons from Mrs Biddle down the road. They just got on with it. Sod Grade 5 theory.

5) Large pop concerts don't have dress codes. Classical music concerts on the other hand have either an implicit one or an explicit one.
Reply 55
Altruistic1

The 3rd movement is ****ing mental! I used to be able to play the (rather dull, I think) 1st movement, but just looking at the 3rd made my eyes hurt.

I think classical music is probably more listened to by the middle classes, but there is nothing really stopping anyone else listening to and learning more about it. Admittedly learning an instrument to any kind of useful standard IS expensive, but my family are hardly rich and managed to get me a fair way along on both cello and piano. For me, being involved in my school choir and the county orchestra vastly opened up my horizons - so if you don't have as much access to that kind of thing, maybe you might see it more as something other people listen to on the radio, and don't get further than seeing it as "relaxing". There are some pieces which are just that, and they're usually sold on albums with "chillout" in the title. But there are so many more which are exciting, beautiful, emotionally charged and generally wonderful, which you have to work a bit harder to fully appreciate.

Just to add to the fun, this is probably my favourite piece ever. I have attempted to play it but I could NEVER do it justice. And this is probably the most amazing thing I've ever sung. Oh, and the Pachelbel rant is sooo true.
Reply 56
Not really a fan of classical music.
malleablegrace
I'm from a working class background too and I love classical.

I was lucky enough to have some very cheap piano lessons for a while and I think that got me introduced to it, but I'm pretty sure I would have liked it anyway. I've always been inclined to listen to what I like hearing rather than listen to one genre or what I think I 'should' listen to. My mum was a single parent and we lived along together from when I was 3 until 7 - my music taste was probably influenced by hers slightly, and she very often listened to compilation CDs like Pure Moods to help her relax (my dad left when I was 3 and she was really distraught). Some of the music I heard during that time definitely stayed with me and influenced what I was to like, I think. But like I said I think I'm just naturally inclined to like it anyway, regardless of what I would be culturally stereotyped to listen to.

"Black Violin" (artist) is a very interesting mix of classical and what a lot of stereotyped 'lower classes' would listen to, i.e. rap/ hip hop/ pop. It's actually really good. :smile:

Just had a listen to 'Black Violin' and they sound pretty good, +rep. I really like the violin and beats but I'm not too keen on the vocals. I love the blending of modern and classic music.

Here are a few classic / modern hybrids I like:

Definitely.

I'm from an upper middle class family, I like classical music, what more proof could you need?
Classical music is the domain of the intelligent, people who possess the ability to comprehend narrative composition and an unbroken cultural tradition. You need to have a good attention span, which most people don't possess. The upper classes tend to be more intelligent, but that's not always the case.

Latest

Trending

Trending