The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Its what you make of it. First time round I spent too much time going out clubbing (not drinking much as it happens), then getting up late, missing lectures and then playing on my computer too much, hence I dropped out.

The second time around, I guess I jsut spent too much time pissing about on the computer when I should have been reading or writting essays, handed the odd thing in late in my 2nd year and just about managed to scrape a 2:1.

Of course it wasn't at all helped by the fact that I shared a flat in my 2nd year with a paranoid bipolar loon, and my house-mates in the 3rd year most definitely fell into the 'whoo-hoo, lets get pissed' variety of student, pretty much every night until 5am.... :mad:

I was the 'grumpy old git who shot his housemates with a BB gun', but in my defence what do you expect if you're going to pick the lock on the toilet door whilst someone is using the shower?
melhunt
I dont really like drinking i.e being out of control, looking an idiot and I also get the worlds worst hangovers, so I havent been drunk for about 6 months ... do you think this will affect my time at uni/making friends? I still go out, but sometimes end up getting bored and going home.

Drink more water then :yes:
Audrey Hepburn
You could sniff glue and go for a 2.2 :ahee:

:five:

Pritt Sticks = :love:
Reply 23
My first year involved a lot of drinking. It also involved a lot of book reading and essay writing.

To the people who actually generalize that former-polytechnic Uni students get drunk more than the better Unis, there are students at all Universities who go out drinking a lot in their first year.

The first year is about learning how to balance work and play.
LOL at stupidity of OP.

Anyway in answer to original question: I do try to make it so.
Reply 25
Stomm

I was the 'grumpy old git who shot his housemates with a BB gun', but in my defence what do you expect if you're going to pick the lock on the toilet door whilst someone is using the shower?

:biggrin: bahahahahahhaha
Reply 26
Yes. Yes. it is. There's really nothing more to it than drinking.
Audrey Hepburn
Study philosophy, being hammered automatically gets you a 2.1.

Being stoned gets you a first :top:

I was going to reply to this seriously but then I realised you probably study philosophy and are being deliberately ironic. I think I'd prefer that.
Jormungandr
I was going to reply to this seriously but then I realised you probably study philosophy and are being deliberately ironic. I think I'd prefer that.

I do indeed study philosophy, but am being deadly serious :cool:
Audrey Hepburn
I do indeed study philosophy, but am being deadly serious :cool:

Well, definitely not at the university I attend, that's for sure...
Jormungandr
Well, definitely not at the university I attend, that's for sure...

pfft, damn mickey mouse philosophy courses that don't require drink and drugs to pass :rant:
Reply 31
dan_s91
congrats on making that garbage up when you have attended neither

I know people at all of the universities I mentioned (hence why I chose those particular ones) and I know somewhat what the average student that go to each is like. Judging by the word "neither" I'm guessing you are upset by my mentioning of Trent and Sheffield Hallam (presumably you must attend one of them - or just like starting trouble) well my sixth form was literally right next door to Trent, and one of my best friends is now at Hallam - I'm all too aware of the clientele that each Uni usually attract.

Trent is even my reserve Uni! I know I sound pompous and stereotypical but there are more party-goers at the former polys than at the prestigious Unis, it's just a fact. You don't have to be so dour, I said proportionally, it's not true in all cases. Fine, have it your way, "former poly" students are all as studious and equatious as Oxbridge ones are ... happy?
For me it was a bit, but I did other stuff. I played in two sports teams, watched hours of TV everyday, spent nights just chilling in friends' rooms or punting, gave a talk at the philosophy society, etc. I went out drinking 3 or 4 times a week and managed to get my weekly supervision essay done. There is such a thing as a balance, and just because someone goes out drinking a lot that doesn't mean they are wasting their degree away. And this was at Cambridge, which is stereotypically all work and no play. Even the really introverted people got drunk at least once a week due to formal dinners (lots of people would bring a bottle and drink it by the main course...)
Audrey Hepburn
pfft, damn mickey mouse philosophy courses that don't require drink and drugs to pass :rant:

Yes, St Andrews are appallingly lax with their course standards...
Jormungandr
Yes, St Andrews are appallingly lax with their course standards...

Never fear, come to oxford and learn the ways of the true philosopher :top:
Audrey Hepburn
Never fear, come to oxford and learn the ways of the true philosopher :top:

You don't do single honours, alas.

Edit: Also, looking at your post history I'm a bit curious of how you know what the standards are for a 2:1/First in Philosophy when you haven't actually studied at Oxford yet.

Re-edit: Curse my tiredness, read the year wrong on your post history. Apologies.
Jormungandr
You don't do single honours, alas.

I know. I fail :sad:

I think of physics as merely a branch of philosophy though :puppyeyes:
Jormungandr
Edit: Also, looking at your post history I'm a bit curious of how you know what the standards are for a 2:1/First in Philosophy when you haven't actually studied at Oxford yet.

Oh and I've been at Oxford for a year now - just haven't been on tsr much since I started :top:

EDIT: No worries :smile:
Reply 38
Audrey Hepburn
Study philosophy, being hammered automatically gets you a 2.1.

Being stoned gets you a first :top:

And either degree will get you a job at McDonald's. lol, I keed, I keed.
G50
And either degree will get you a job at McDonald's. lol, I keed, I keed.

Hohoho, haven't heard that one before. Well done, sir!

Latest

Trending

Trending