The Student Room Group

Going to uni and not drinking

So I’m a year 13 student whose applied to uni for September. I’m not a big fan of drinking and I was wondering if it’s a big deal to not really drink at uni?
I don’t want this to negatively impact me making friends or having fun
Original post by Anonymous #1
So I’m a year 13 student whose applied to uni for September. I’m not a big fan of drinking and I was wondering if it’s a big deal to not really drink at uni?

Hi there!

Don't worry! Drinking at uni can sometimes be overhyped, and isn't a necessity to enjoy your experience. Of course, people will drink and some people won't, but I wouldn't let it worry you. I've been able to enjoy nights out without drinking at all, and there are other social events other than drinking/clubbing. Joining a society is a great way to meet people without having to go drinking. If you have a look at your uni's societies online before joining, maybe you can find a group you might be interested in joining.

Try not to worry, I'm sure you'll make a great start to uni and drinking or not, you'll find your people.

Emily 🙂
Student Rep at BCU

Hiya!

No don’t worry, as Emily said drinking is incredibly overhyped whilst at university and there are plenty of other things to do to enjoy your night out perhaps in Freshers week you might feel a bit concerned but that is because most university students tend to overdo freshers and push the limit (which I would not recommend!). I feel like there is an expectation that students must drink, but that is honestly not the case and I only think most do because of this ‘expectation’. The most important thing to remember is that you shouldn’t feel pressured to drink, it is personal to you and at the end of the day it’s your choice; and if you have people that push you to do so and refuse to understand they are not nice people to surround yourself with. Personally, I am not a big drinker myself and I find that I don’t need to drink to have a good time or whilst being a student I might have the odd few when I am out but I never go clubbing. As I said, there are plenty of other options whether that is sticking to the non-alcoholic drinks or being in a different environment where there is no drinking at all. You will meet the right type of people, don’t worry it just happens at different times for all of us perhaps you will meet flatmates, people on your course and if you join a society / sports club etc.

I hope this helps, and you are looking forward to university
-Maddie, second year Health and well-being in society student at De Montfort University
Original post by Anonymous

Not an issue in my opinion plus saving money.
Hello there :smile:

4th year student here, about to graduate. I'm also not a fan of drinking myself, and generally don't go out unless it's for a special celebratory event, and even then I avoid alcohol. I've never felt that this was an issue and don't feel that I missed out on anything at all by avoiding alcohol. The hype in first year is quite big around the cliche student lifestyle (alcohol, drugs, etc) but that dies down as people get bored of it and generally begin focusing on studies. The peer pressure of drinking also goes away and you can absolutely have a stellar student life without it!

Sure, you might miss out on some "fun" (the mindless, alcohol-fueled sort), and "friends" (the mindless, alcohol-fueled sort), but there's many people who also don't drink, or do drink but don't see you not drinking as a barrier to becoming friends! My best friends would be the latter sort, they go out every now and then but alcohol, or the lack thereof, has never affected our friendship. We respect each other's decisions, habits, and lifestyles, and these things have never been points of contention. In fact, I would even go as far to say that these differences in character are for the better, since variety in friendships is nearly always good. As folks said before me, it all depends on the people you meet!

So yeah, it's not a big deal whatsoever. If someone makes it a big deal then they haven't matured yet, or they are simply not someone you should be taking advice from. If you have decided that it's not your cup of tea, then stick to tea and ignore the noise, don't buckle under any pressure that tries to tempt you to do otherwise

Hope that helps, and enjoy university!

Not particularly. There is undeniably a big drinking culture at uni, but it can be avoided. If you join societies, they are great fun and no drinking involved (in the actual society sessions. I do frequent a uni society or two in which it is customary to cap off the night with a trip to the local pub, but only us regulars that are in the society, week in and week out, that go there, and even then not all of us regulars go there).

Depending on your university, they might put on a lot of alcohol-free events. My university puts a couple of these a month. They aren't the biggest deal in the world but they're alright.

I have to admit to being an active member of the drinking culture at uni, but even then I do things without drinking somewhat often. I do movie nights, which are alcohol free nights (heavy on the popcorn though!). And even amongst those of us that do practice the drinking culture, we'll purposefully go dry every now and again.

In fact, now that I think of it, I think I made all of my friends at uni in alcohol-free situations. We undoubtedly did solidify those friendships in situations involving drinking but that can be avoided. So yes, you won't be negatively impacted by not drinking at university :smile:
Hi there,

Remember to not do something you are uncomfortable with. If you prefer not to drink and you find yourself amongst individuals who pressure you into consuming alcohol, leave their company immediately.

You will find that numerous people at university don't drink due to various reasons so you won't be the only one. Furthermore, although drinking might play a crucial role in one's university experience, it has many negative effects so it is usually better to stay away from it. Plus you will save money.

Lastly, all universities organize many social events and activities that don't involve drinking, so don't worry, there will be many opportunities to socialize and meet different people in various circumstances.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep

Hello,

Not at all! If you're not a huge fan and don't want to drink then don't do it. You shouldn't ever drink just for people to like you. If you go out with a group of friends, just say you're not interested in drinking afterall not everyone likes doing the same thing. If they don't want to be your friends for just that reason then that's not your problem.

You'd be surprised that there are quite a number of people that don't drink. You'll still be able to make friends and have fun so don't worry. Remember, never allow yourself to be forced to do anything you don't feel comfortable doing just to make other people happy. Just go enjoy uni, you definitely don't need to drink to do that. Hope this helps!

Hi there,

This is a common misconception that everyone at uni just drinks all the time and you will have to join in but not everybody likes drinking so try not to worry about this!

In freshers week, people will likely be going out an drinking but that doesn't mean there is nothing else to do! There will be freshers fairs to go to and welcome week events so I would recommend going to these as these are great ways of making friends! You could also ask your flatmates, if you are living in halls, to do other things with you rather than going out, such as going out for dinner, having a games night or making dinner together! I had a flatmate in first year who did not like drinking and she didn't feel left out as we all did other things too. She also used to come out with us sometimes and just not drink, or she would join us for pre drinks and games but not drink and just join in with the games which was always fun!

After freshers week, people going out will start to go less and the drinking will be less often, so people will always want to do other activities too!

I would suggest to you to look into joining some societies! They are great ways to make friends and although the socials do involve drinking sometimes, they sometimes put socials on which do not involve going out and drinking and the sessions themselves are fun! if you are into sports, then I would recommend joining a sports society as it is a great way of getting out and doing something you enjoy which is a great way of making friends with people while not drinking.

Sometimes student unions also sometimes put on events which you could get involved in. At Hallam, they do 'give it a go' events where you can do different activities such as the cinema, ice hockey matches or theme park trips which are great social events which do not include drinking so it might be worth looking into if your university does this too.

I hope some of this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Hi there,

As all of these replies have already said, it really isn't a big deal that you don't drink.

So many people from different backgrounds attend university, and many of them don't enjoy drinking or clubbing for a variety of reasons. It typically isn't an issue at all, and there are plenty of other things for you to get involved in.

I personally don't go clubbing and don't drink a lot at all, so I was worried about this too. I ended up finding friends in my first weekend at my university accommodation. I'd advise you to talk to people on your course, join sports and/or societies, and get involved in your university and local community. Find out what you like to do,have fun, and you'll find people you click with - I guarantee it!

I hope this helps and best of luck,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
I’m sober and found friends that are just like me.
There’s no pressure or expectation to drink alcohol.

It’s not at uncommon as you think!
Hello,

My name is Haya and I am final year medical student. I personally don't drink but over my university years I felt that it did not affect my social life.

My friends and I were always able to find other activities to do including the cinema, bowling, sports ,and if we were to go out there are always mocktails and non-alcoholic options.

You will find many friends that will support you!!!

Good luck,
Haya

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending