The Student Room Group

Thread for people who don't like snobby people who put down Art's degree's!!!

I got fed up with everyone making out as if Art's degrees are worth nothing! Would it be better to spend money on doing a degree that we don't enjoy!! The fact is that a lot of jobs such as Graphic Designers and especially things like Architecture you need a degree for, so we want to go to university and get a degree. If you enjoy Law and so you want to go to Cambridge to do Law to be a lawyer then why shouldn't we enjoy an Art's subject and go to a university that offers a lot of good art's courses to get a good job that we will enjoy! What also annoys me is when people say to me, oh you got an A* at GCSE Maths and are predicted A at A Level so why don't you do a Maths degree. Maybe because i would find that boring?! Anyway this isn't to offend people doing my example of Law at Cambridge if that's what they want to do I'm just fed up with being looked down upon! Rant over :p:

Scroll to see replies

Study a real degree ya waster.

:biggrin:
When you say Arts degrees, what are you referring to?
Reply 3
Olivia_Lightbulb

English, Fine Art, Music etc
Reply 4
Who is Art?
Reply 5
This thread will result in a huge bitch-fest from the scientists and engineers.
oh_adele
English, Fine Art, Music etc

Yes, but these are held in high esteem and always have been. I wonder if by Arts degrees the OP is referring to 'degrees' such as film studies or media studies and the like.
geetar
This thread will result in a huge bitch-fest from the scientists and engineers.

The Lawyers will give their hauners too :top: Me and Lib have already pitched in. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Olivia_Lightbulb
Yes, but these are held in high esteem and always have been. I wonder if by Arts degrees the OP is referring to 'degrees' such as film studies or media studies and the like.

I think it's because an argument was sparked up in another thread that anything to do with "The Arts" e.g. Not Maths/Science/Engineering/Law/Business was not a "proper degree".
Reply 9
Olivia_Lightbulb

i suppose art, drama, design, music, fashion, things that people refer to as 'mickey mouse degrees' . basically its what other people generalise as arts degrees, i said it more as quote but don't ask me where from because don't remember!
Reply 10
Celtic_Anthony
Study a real degree ya waster.

:biggrin:

Ahaa!!:woo: :woo: :woo:
People dont get how much some art subjects contribute to society.
Like graphic design, it contains so many factors, as well as art, its psycology and visual literacy. Its not just 'arty' there is a level of sophistication and intellect needed to be successful in the industry.
Visual communication is a vital part of the modern world, raising profiles of businesses, products and services. Graphic designers are employed to get an emotional relationship with its audience and to tell them a message in an instant. Without designers the success of these businesses might be a different story.
People just dont get how important the artistic subjects are, they are blinded by all this academia, and dont get that whats staring them in the face actually contains a level of intellect and sophistication, and someone has had to be educated to achieve the results.

:rollseyes:
Reply 12
You do realise people can be equally snobbish about science degrees?
iv got so much stick for choosing fashion and i havent even started my degree yet.

who cares if you dont do a proper subject. its more vocational and has great industry links so hopefully i'll get a job from work experience.
Reply 14
x.Crystal.x
People dont get how much some art subjects contribute to society.
Like graphic design, it contains so many factors, as well as art, its psycology and visual literacy. Its not just 'arty' there is a level of sophistication and intellect needed to be successful in the industry.
Visual communication is a vital part of the modern world, raising profiles of businesses, products and services. Graphic designers are employed to get an emotional relationship with its audience and to tell them a message in an instant. Without designers the success of these businesses might be a different story.
People just dont get how important the artist subjects are, they a blinded by all this academia, and dont get that whats staring them in the face actually contains a level of intellect and sophistication, and someone has had to be educated to achieve the results.

:rollseyes:

listen, at the end of the day your degree means little to civilisation; we can do fine without you. plus, unless you're a lawyer, you will get paid pennies.
Reply 15
Olivia_Lightbulb

yes subjects like that but people also look down on fine art, but not english.
I used to do art but now I do mathematics. Let me just say that maths is so much more beautiful and meaningful than art will ever be. Richard Feynman has a point about art only looks at the flower from an aesthetic point of view. However, if your a scientist you can look at colours and think about spectrum of light or maybe flower reproduces. For example, you would know that flowers use ultraviolet light.

I don't know since the dawn of so called social sciences I don't see the point of art. Art seems so shallow now.

jenny28
What also annoys me is when people say to me, oh you got an A* at GCSE Maths and are predicted A at A Level so why don't you do a Maths degree. Maybe because i would find that boring?!

You find maths boring because you have no vision. See if you wanted to play a musical instrument but was only given the scales and you couldn't hear any music then you could wrongly accuse music of being boring. See the language of nature is maths. Although, yeah maths gets interested the higher up you go for example if you study some linear algebra and group theory it gets really interesting. Plus, in uni stuff you will cover stuff like objects in higher dimensions. So yeah, you get to think about stuff like infinity or QM.
jenny28
yes subjects like that but people also look down on fine art, but not english.

I suppose because Fine Art isn't an academic subject, as such. :dontknow:
Reply 18
I don't really have a problem with English, Fine Art, Music etc. I am not particularly good at any of them, so i can't call them easy. But perhaps the more vocational arts degrees, like film studies and media studies (i just picked these as they were mentioned previously) are a bit pointless. If you want a job in the media, go and get a job and get some experience. The people with degrees and without degrees start on the same rung in the media. I don't think they are worthless, but some of these more modern arts degrees seem like they exist just so the university can get the funding for running them.
I have no problem with English, Fine Art and Music. However Performing Arts and Film Studies are a complete waste of taxpayers money. Their respective students would benefit more from going into work at McDonalds. I knew this one guy - and he was the most annoying little groiffer I have ever encountered - who did performing arts and he had to write his essays in the first person. LOL. Furthermore, he's ugly and so is only ever going to be an extra. I say this because he won't succeed as an ugly Simon Pegg type either, because he just really isn't funny and has no charisma. And you have to stand back and think ... why did they even let him in?

I think these universities are making a bad investment by offering such a multitude of these courses. It's like banks giving out money to fiscally reckless individuals; one is just never going to get any return. That's the problem I see. And performing arts students tend to be snotty little bitches. Give me a bland engineer person at university over a superficial dolly girl who thinks she's going to star in Emmerdale anyday *thumbs up*

I know my post may seem harsh, but I'm simply saying what I need to say as plainly as possible.

Latest

Trending

Trending