The Student Room Group

I'm a year 13 student at LSA (London Screen Academy) AMA

Hi! I was very curious about LSA when I first wanted to apply and there was practically nothing online to help that curiosity.

I noticed that a lot of Year 12's also said that there was nowhere to get proper info about the true inner workings of LSA so I thought it'd a good idea to start this thread!

So feel free to drop down any questions you have <3 I'll start with some basic facts about LSA that I'll steal from the website!

- LSA is a free sixth-form academy for students who want to learn all the skills required for a career within the film + television industries.

FILM AND TELEVISION

-The LSA Film & TV curriculum provides students with a broad knowledge of the many skills and disciplines within the screen and creative industries. Our unique FTV curriculum has been developed with leading industry experts so that we can deliver a real-world relevant education that prepares student for higher education and working in the modern world. Our programme is project based and students spend two years exploring and developing in their chosen pathway, based on their interests and talents.

-LSA students study the UAL Level 3 Diploma/ Extended Diploma in Creative Practice; this qualification is equivalent to three A-Levels and requires students to spend 15 hours per week learning about Film + TV. Alongside pathway classes, students also take part in weekly Masterclasses and screenings.

- Students will explore the cultural and historical significance of film and television, learn to improve their communication skills, work constructively within a team, gain screen business knowledge and develop self-management skills. Throughout their time at LSA, all students are taught storytelling as an integral part of the creative process.
This seems like an advertisement. If you plan to progress onto higher education, you do realise that most film degrees are useless and a waste of time and that you are getting into £50,000 of student debt for no reason right?
Reply 2
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
This seems like an advertisement. If you plan to progress onto higher education, you do realise that most film degrees are useless and a waste of time and that you are getting into £50,000 of student debt for no reason right?

Heya this isn't an ad I just really like my sixth form :P LSA is a free college and teaches 'behind-the-scenes' of film through 3 pathways: tech, craft and post. Tech: you learn how to operate camera, light and sound equipment. craft: you learn set design, costume creation, hair and make-up. Post: (what I do) you learn 2d&3d animation, editing, and visual effects + industry standard software. LSA doesn't encourage going into debt by doing a film degree it's aim is to be a free alternative that prepares students to go straight into work actually. I also don't think any degree is 'useless' university should be a place you go to learn something you're passionate about but I understand unfortunately we aren't given that priviledge as working-class so I know most people want a degree for a career that guarentees money! The film industry is one of the fastest growing in th UK and also constantly hires, fun fact not everyone who's into film wants to be a director!
(edited 1 year ago)
Hey, sounds cool
I think I know a YouTuber that went there!
Oh and we have the same name! :five:
Original post by Ddolapo
Heya this isn't an ad I just really like my sixth form :P LSA is a free college and teaches 'behind-the-scenes' of film through 3 pathways: tech, craft and post. Tech: you learn how to operate camera, light and sound equipment. craft: you learn set design, costume creation, hair and make-up. Post: (what I do) you learn 2d&3d animation, editing, and visual effects + industry standard software. LSA doesn't encourage going into debt by doing a film degree it's aim is to be a free alternative that prepares students to go straight into work actually. I also don't think any degree is 'useless' university should be a place you go to learn something you're passionate about but I understand unfortunately we aren't given that priviledge as working-class so I know most people want a degree for a career that guarentees money! The film insustry is one of the fastest growing in th UK and also constantly hires, fun fact not everyone who's into film wants to be a director!

I am in the third year of a Film Production degree. I am well aware that not everyone wants to be a director. It is useless if you go into a lifetime of debt when you can get into that career without the debt.
Reply 5
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I am in the third year of a Film Production degree. I am well aware that not everyone wants to be a director. It is useless if you go into a lifetime of debt when you can get into that career without the debt.

I know you can get into film without going to university, I wasn't even advertising that. I just posted an AMA for people interested in a free course that teaches behind the scenes of film, this is probably a misunderstanding. I already stated that the aim is to prepare you so you can go straight into work not higher education too.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Obolinda
Hey, sounds cool
I think I know a YouTuber that went there!
Oh and we have the same name! :five:

Omg I found out about the sixth-former from youtube too!! Such a coincidence we have the same name too lmaoo that's cool!!
Reply 7
Hiya, do you know anything about the level 4 course? Do students enjoy the course etc
Reply 8
Hi I applied here but I think I mucked up the interview. Do you know how long till they tell you if you got in? Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by Carobo
Hiya, do you know anything about the level 4 course? Do students enjoy the course etc

Hello! Just shoot me a private message on here and I can link you up with my friends who are doing level 4! I chose to go to university though!!
Reply 10
Original post by Bluff27
Hi I applied here but I think I mucked up the interview. Do you know how long till they tell you if you got in? Thanks

I'm not sure for right now but for me it was a couple of weeks however I'm sure the number of people applying is a lot more now. I'd say don't worry about the interview as long as you managed to get your passion across you have a super good chance!!
Hi! i was wondering for the Level 4 Creative Enterprise Course, when it asks about portfolio, as there’s no specific subject for the course, (more teaching you to set up your own “image” what would i put in here. I’m more interested in arts/animation based stuff, so would i put my art stuff in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending