The Student Room Group

quickest way to get beginner solving rubik's?(all instruction written+using only 3*3)

you have to write a guide for someone who wants to solve a rubik's cube. they own only a 3*3*3 cube.
the whole guide must be done only with writing and diagrams. no video/animation.

what's the simplest way? how would you make it as easy as possible for them to solve it? you want to get them solving it without needing a guide to look at, as quickly as possible.
what notation/method of description? and which method of solving the cube?
Reply 1
There is a standard notation for cube operations - you'll find a description just about anywhere you search, for instance, here on Wikipedia. Diagrams may be helpful here.

If the goal is to memorise a solution as quickly as possible, then I would suggest learning a strategy with the fewest algorithms. (On the other hand, if the goal is to solve a given cube as quickly as possible, then it would be necessary to learn lots of special-case algorithms.)
doesnt it depend on the cube when you start i.e. what colours are where etc... ?

and maybe theres a book somewhere?
Reply 3
Use your head, is what I do.
Reply 4
Commutators>Algorithms

Fact.
Reply 5
If by commutators you mean things like what are listed on this page, I don't see what the difference is. It's just another set of algorithms.
Reply 6
Depends whether the guy finds it easier memorizing strings of foolproof moves or working it out and memorizing relatively few moves.

Petrus method is pretty good in regard to the latter.
Reply 7
thanks for replies so far. i'm going to take a look at this "petrus method", and the page on "commutators" right after posting this reply. just in case they don't settle it, a few questions:

is "standard notation" the best notation/method of cube description you can imagine?

what would your "simplest guide" consist of? how would you keep the number of algorithms to a minimum, and make them really easy to use/learn/understand? how woudl you reduce the brain effort/time to learn to do the cube by yourself, to a minimum

can you think of ways to improve on this guide?:
http://www.learn2cube.com/
Reply 8
Let CiC_i be a colour, where i=1,2,...,6i = 1, 2, ..., 6, and where the CiC_i-coloured centre is opposite the CjC_j-coloured centre, where j=i(mod3),ijj = i \pmod 3, i \ne j. So for example C2C_2 is opposite C5C_5. Let (Cp)(C_p) be the centre piece with colour CpC_p, (Cp,Cq)(C_p, C_q) be a two-coloured piece for some pq(mod3)p \ne q \pmod 3, and (Cp,Cq,Cr)(C_p, C_q, C_r) be a three-coloured piece (a corner piece) for some pqr(mod3)p \ne q \ne r \pmod 3.

Let SpS_p be the side with centre (Cp)(C_p), let (Sp,Sq)(S_p, S_q) be the edge piece between sides SpS_p and SqS_q, and let (Sp,Sq,Sr)(S_p, S_q, S_r) be the corner where the sides Sp,Sq,SrS_p, S_q, S_r intersect. Then, if a cube is solved, each piece (Ci,Cj)(C_i, C_j) is in the position (Si,Sj)(S_i, S_j) and each piece (Cp,Cq,Cr)(C_p, C_q, C_r) is in the position (Sp,Sq,Sr)(S_p, S_q, S_r).

Let also [M1,M2,...,Mi][M_1, M_2, ..., M_i] be a sequence of rotations for some Mi{R,R,L,L,T,T,U,U,F,F,B,B}M_i \in \{R, R*, L, L*, T, T*, U, U*, F, F*, B, B*\}, where R, L, T, U, F and B represent the right, left, top, bottom, front and back sides respectively; and where a lack of asterisk resembles a clockwise rotation if that side were facing you, and an asterisk represents an anticlockwise rotation. Each instruction MiM_i must be carried out in order, and the instruction sequence should be repeated until the desired outcome is reached.

1. Rotate (C1,Cn)(C_1,C_n) piece to (S1,Sn)(S_1, S_n) for all n1(mod3)n \ne 1 \pmod 3. If a piece rotates to S1S_1 such that its CnC_n-coloured side is in contact with C1C_1, for some n1n \ne 1, then rotate the whole cube such that (C1,Cn)(C_1, C_n) is on your right at the top of the cube, and then do [R,T,F,T][R*,T,F*,T*].

Result: A cross of colour C1C_1 on the side S1S_1

2. Rotate the cube such that S1S_1 is on the bottom, and move the piece (C1,Ca,Cb)(C_1, C_a, C_b) to (S4,Sa,Sb)(S_4, S_a, S_b), then do [R,T,R,T][R,T,R*,T*] until it is in the position (S1,Sa,Sb)(S_1, S_a, S_b) and the colours are coordinated correctly. If no pieces (C1,Ca,Cb)(C_1, C_a, C_b) are on the S4S_4 face, then [R,T,R,T][R,T,R*,T*] will get them up there.

Result: Side S1S_1 completed with the first layer of sides S2,S3,S5,S6S_2, S_3, S_5, S_6 completed (resembling an upside-down T-shape on them).

3. Move the piece (Cp,Cq)(C_p, C_q) for some p,q∉{1,4}p, q \not \in \{1, 4\} such that the side CpC_p facing you is in contact with (Cp)(C_p). If SqS_q is on the right, do [T,R,T,R,T,F,T,F][T,R,T*,R*,T*,F*,T,F]. If it is on the left, do [T,L,T,L,T,F,T,F][T*,L*,T,L,T,F,T*,F*]. If a piece (Cp,Cq)(C_p, C_q) is in position (Sp,Sq)(S_p, S_q) but with the colours the wrong way round, then either of the above algorithms gets it out (depending on whether it is in the left or right.

Result: First two layers of S2,S3,S5,S6S_2, S_3, S_5, S_6 complete.

4. If there is a C4C_4-coloured cross on the side S4S_4, stop. If there is a line of colour C4C_4 on the side S4S_4, then rotate the cube so that the line is on top and going from left-to-right, and do [F,R,T,R,T,F][F,R,T,R*,T*,F*]. If there is an L-shape, rotate it so that S4S_4 is facing up with the L-shape in the far-left corner, and then do [F,R,T,R,T,F][F,R,T,R*,T*,F*] and follow the previous instructions. If there is only a dot, do [F,R,T,R,T,F][F,R,T,R*,T*,F*] and then follow the previous instructions.

Result: C4C_4-coloured cross on the side S4S_4

5. Do [T][T] until there are two pieces (C4,Ci),(C4,Cj)(C_4, C_i), (C_4, C_j) such that the CiC_i and CjC_j-coloured sides are in contact with (Ci)(C_i) and (Cj)(C_j), respectively. If the pieces are adjacent, i.e. if ij(mod3)i \ne j \pmod 3, then rotate the cube such that S4S_4 is facing up and the two aforementioned pieces are to your right and at the far-side, respectively; then do [R,T,R,T,R,T,T,R,T][R,T,R*,T,R,T,T,R*,T]. If these pieces are opposite, i,e. if i=j(mod3)i = j \pmod 3, then rotate the cube so that S4S_4 is facing up and one of the aforementioned pieces is facing you, and then do [R,T,R,T,R,T,T,R][R,T,R*,T,R,T,T,R*] and follow the previous instructions

Result: Correctly-oriented cross of colour C4C_4 on side S4S_4

6. Let NN be the number of pieces (C4,Cp,Cq)(C_4, C_p, C_q) that are in the position (S4,Sp,Sq)(S_4, S_p, S_q). If N=4N = 4, then stop. If 0<N<40 < N < 4, then rotate the cube such that S4S_4 is facing up and such that one such piece is to your near-right. Then do [T,R,T,L,T,R,T,L][T,R,T*,L,T,R*,T*,L*] until N=4N = 4. If N=0N = 0, then do [T,R,T,L,T,R,T,L][T,R,T*,L,T,R*,T*,L*] and repeat the above instructions.

Result: All corners in the cube in the correct place, but not necessarily correctly-oriented

7. Turn the cube over such that the side S1S_1 is facing down and such that an incorrectly-oriented pieces are to your near-right. Do [R,T,R,T][R,T,R*,T*] until the side of the piece of colour C4C_4 is on the side S4S_4. Then, do [B][ B ] until another incorrectly-oriented corner is to your near-right, and repeat until the side S4S_4 is complete.

Result: All corners correctly-oriented

8. Do [B][ B ] and/or [T][ T ] until the cube is solved.

Result: Solved cube

:cool:
Reply 9
happyguy123
thanks for replies so far. i'm going to take a look at this "petrus method", and the page on "commutators" right after posting this reply. just in case they don't settle it, a few questions:

is "standard notation" the best notation/method of cube description you can imagine?

what would your "simplest guide" consist of? how would you keep the number of algorithms to a minimum, and make them really easy to use/learn/understand? how woudl you reduce the brain effort/time to learn to do the cube by yourself, to a minimum

can you think of ways to improve on this guide?:
http://www.learn2cube.com/

Petrus method only uses 2 algorithms, but does require quite a lot of just getting used to a cube.
Reply 10
i use a combination:
fridrich f2l (intuitive) + petrus cross orientation and last slot at the same time + 2-look OLL + 1 PLL
Reply 11
nuodai
Let CiC_i be a colour, where i=1,2,...,6i = 1, 2, ..., 6, and where the CiC_i-coloured centre is opposite the CjC_j-coloured centre, where j=i(mod3),ijj = i \pmod 3, i \ne j. So for example C2C_2 is opposite C5C_5. Let (Cp)(C_p) be the centre piece with colour CpC_p, (Cp,Cq)(C_p, C_q) be a two-coloured piece for some pq(mod3)p \ne q \pmod 3, and (Cp,Cq,Cr)(C_p, C_q, C_r) be a three-coloured piece (a corner piece) for some pqr(mod3)p \ne q \ne r \pmod 3.

Let SpS_p be the side with centre (Cp)(C_p), let (Sp,Sq)(S_p, S_q) be the edge piece between sides SpS_p and SqS_q, and let (Sp,Sq,Sr)(S_p, S_q, S_r) be the corner where the sides Sp,Sq,SrS_p, S_q, S_r intersect. Then, if a cube is solved, each piece (Ci,Cj)(C_i, C_j) is in the position (Si,Sj)(S_i, S_j) and each piece (Cp,Cq,Cr)(C_p, C_q, C_r) is in the position (Sp,Sq,Sr)(S_p, S_q, S_r).

Let also [M1,M2,...,Mi][M_1, M_2, ..., M_i] be a sequence of rotations for some Mi{R,R,L,L,T,T,U,U,F,F,B,B}M_i \in \{R, R*, L, L*, T, T*, U, U*, F, F*, B, B*\}, where R, L, T, U, F and B represent the right, left, top, bottom, front and back sides respectively; and where a lack of asterisk resembles a clockwise rotation if that side were facing you, and an asterisk represents an anticlockwise rotation. Each instruction MiM_i must be carried out in order, and the instruction sequence should be repeated until the desired outcome is reached.

1. Rotate (C1,Cn)(C_1,C_n) piece to (S1,Sn)(S_1, S_n) for all n1(mod3)n \ne 1 \pmod 3. If a piece rotates to S1S_1 such that its CnC_n-coloured side is in contact with C1C_1, for some n1n \ne 1, then rotate the whole cube such that (C1,Cn)(C_1, C_n) is on your right at the top of the cube, and then do [R,T,F,T][R*,T,F*,T*].

Result: A cross of colour C1C_1 on the side S1S_1

2. Rotate the cube such that S1S_1 is on the bottom, and move the piece (C1,Ca,Cb)(C_1, C_a, C_b) to (S4,Sa,Sb)(S_4, S_a, S_b), then do [R,T,R,T][R,T,R*,T*] until it is in the position (S1,Sa,Sb)(S_1, S_a, S_b) and the colours are coordinated correctly. If no pieces (C1,Ca,Cb)(C_1, C_a, C_b) are on the S4S_4 face, then [R,T,R,T][R,T,R*,T*] will get them up there.

Result: Side S1S_1 completed with the first layer of sides S2,S3,S5,S6S_2, S_3, S_5, S_6 completed (resembling an upside-down T-shape on them).

3. Move the piece (Cp,Cq)(C_p, C_q) for some p,q∉{1,4}p, q \not \in \{1, 4\} such that the side CpC_p facing you is in contact with (Cp)(C_p). If SqS_q is on the right, do [T,R,T,R,T,F,T,F][T,R,T*,R*,T*,F*,T,F]. If it is on the left, do [T,L,T,L,T,F,T,F][T*,L*,T,L,T,F,T*,F*]. If a piece (Cp,Cq)(C_p, C_q) is in position (Sp,Sq)(S_p, S_q) but with the colours the wrong way round, then either of the above algorithms gets it out (depending on whether it is in the left or right.

Result: First two layers of S2,S3,S5,S6S_2, S_3, S_5, S_6 complete.

4. If there is a C4C_4-coloured cross on the side S4S_4, stop. If there is a line of colour C4C_4 on the side S4S_4, then rotate the cube so that the line is on top and going from left-to-right, and do [F,R,T,R,T,F][F,R,T,R*,T*,F*]. If there is an L-shape, rotate it so that S4S_4 is facing up with the L-shape in the far-left corner, and then do [F,R,T,R,T,F][F,R,T,R*,T*,F*] and follow the previous instructions. If there is only a dot, do [F,R,T,R,T,F][F,R,T,R*,T*,F*] and then follow the previous instructions.

Result: C4C_4-coloured cross on the side S4S_4

5. Do [T][T] until there are two pieces (C4,Ci),(C4,Cj)(C_4, C_i), (C_4, C_j) such that the CiC_i and CjC_j-coloured sides are in contact with (Ci)(C_i) and (Cj)(C_j), respectively. If the pieces are adjacent, i.e. if ij(mod3)i \ne j \pmod 3, then rotate the cube such that S4S_4 is facing up and the two aforementioned pieces are to your right and at the far-side, respectively; then do [R,T,R,T,R,T,T,R,T][R,T,R*,T,R,T,T,R*,T]. If these pieces are opposite, i,e. if i=j(mod3)i = j \pmod 3, then rotate the cube so that S4S_4 is facing up and one of the aforementioned pieces is facing you, and then do [R,T,R,T,R,T,T,R][R,T,R*,T,R,T,T,R*] and follow the previous instructions

Result: Correctly-oriented cross of colour C4C_4 on side S4S_4

6. Let NN be the number of pieces (C4,Cp,Cq)(C_4, C_p, C_q) that are in the position (S4,Sp,Sq)(S_4, S_p, S_q). If N=4N = 4, then stop. If 0<N<40 < N < 4, then rotate the cube such that S4S_4 is facing up and such that one such piece is to your near-right. Then do [T,R,T,L,T,R,T,L][T,R,T*,L,T,R*,T*,L*] until N=4N = 4. If N=0N = 0, then do [T,R,T,L,T,R,T,L][T,R,T*,L,T,R*,T*,L*] and repeat the above instructions.

Result: All corners in the cube in the correct place, but not necessarily correctly-oriented

7. Turn the cube over such that the side S1S_1 is facing down and such that an incorrectly-oriented pieces are to your near-right. Do [R,T,R,T][R,T,R*,T*] until the side of the piece of colour C4C_4 is on the side S4S_4. Then, do [B][ B ] until another incorrectly-oriented corner is to your near-right, and repeat until the side S4S_4 is complete.

Result: All corners correctly-oriented

8. Do [B][ B ] and/or [T][ T ] until the cube is solved.

Result: Solved cube

:cool:

:holmes:

That is amazing - I am very very impressed. I think the number of your posts I need to rep will take me to the end of the year easily :tongue:
Reply 12
I've made the problem even more concise and readable :smile:

?!(i!1$3)(P(1:1,i:i))[M(1,i:1,i)?!C(1,i)[S(1,|)/.|%.|.]][S(4,|)]?!(i!1$
3)(j!1!i$3)(P(1:1,i:i,j:j))[M(1ij:4ij)/|/.|.?!P(1:1,i:i,j:j)
]?!
(i!1$3)(j!1$3!i$3)(P(i:i,j:j))[?P(i:j,j:i)[|/|./.|.%.|%]M(ij:4j)?S(i,/)
[|/|./.|.%.|%]?S(i,\)[|.\.|\|%|.%.]?P(i:j,j:i)[|/|./.|.%.|%]]?!(P(4:4,:
))[?(i=j$3!1$3)(P(4:4,i:smile:%P(4:4,j:smile:)[M(4i:4i)S(i,\)%/|/.|.%.]?(i!j$3!1$
3)(P(4:4,i:smile:%P(4:4,j:smile:)[M(4i:4i)S(i,\)S(j,@)%/|/.|.%.]?!(i!1$3)(P(4:4,i
:smile:)[%/|/.|.%.]]?!(i!1$3)(P(4:4,i:i)):?!(i!1$3)(j!1$3)(P(i:i,j:j))[|]?(i
=j$3)[S(i,%)/|/.|/||/.]?(i!j$3)[S(i,/)S(j,@)/|/.|/||/.|]]?!(i!1$3)(j!1$
3!i$3)(M(4ij:4ij))[?(P(4:!4,i:!i,j:!j))[|/|.\|/.|.\.]S(i,%)S(j,/)|/|.\|
/.|.\.]S(1,|)?!(i!1$3)(j!1$3!i$3)(P(4:4,i:i,j:j))[S(4ij,_/%)?!(P(4:4,i:
i,j:j))[/|]_]?!(i)(j!i$3)(k!i$3!j$3)(P(i:i,j:j,k:k)&P(i:i,j:j))[__|]

That just about does it. Anyone fancy decoding it? :smile:

Spoiler

Spoiler

nuodai
I've made the problem even more concise and readable :smile:

?!(i!1$3)(P(1:1,i:i))[M(1,i:1,i)?!C(1,i)[S(1,|)/.|%.|.]][S(4,|)]?!(i!1$
3)(j!1!i$3)(P(1:1,i:i,j:j))[M(1ij:4ij)/|/.|.?!P(1:1,i:i,j:j)
]?!
(i!1$3)(j!1$3!i$3)(P(i:i,j:j))[?P(i:j,j:i)[|/|./.|.%.|%]M(ij:4j)?S(i,/)
[|/|./.|.%.|%]?S(i,\)[|.\.|\|%|.%.]?P(i:j,j:i)[|/|./.|.%.|%]]?!(P(4:4,:
))[?(i=j$3!1$3)(P(4:4,i:smile:%P(4:4,j:smile:)[M(4i:4i)S(i,\)%/|/.|.%.]?(i!j$3!1$
3)(P(4:4,i:smile:%P(4:4,j:smile:)[M(4i:4i)S(i,\)S(j,@)%/|/.|.%.]?!(i!1$3)(P(4:4,i
:smile:)[%/|/.|.%.]]?!(i!1$3)(P(4:4,i:i)):?!(i!1$3)(j!1$3)(P(i:i,j:j))[|]?(i
=j$3)[S(i,%)/|/.|/||/.]?(i!j$3)[S(i,/)S(j,@)/|/.|/||/.|]]?!(i!1$3)(j!1$
3!i$3)(M(4ij:4ij))[?(P(4:!4,i:!i,j:!j))[|/|.\|/.|.\.]S(i,%)S(j,/)|/|.\|
/.|.\.]S(1,|)?!(i!1$3)(j!1$3!i$3)(P(4:4,i:i,j:j))[S(4ij,_/%)?!(P(4:4,i:
i,j:j))[/|]_]?!(i)(j!i$3)(k!i$3!j$3)(P(i:i,j:j,k:k)&P(i:i,j:j))[__|]

That just about does it. Anyone fancy decoding it? :smile:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I preferred how it was before :frown:.

Latest