The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
ryan92
Has all the appeal desicions been issued now then yeah?

For Highers & Advanced years, your teachers will have all the appeal decisions yes.
My advanced higher biology was appealed from No award to a D (tho i got a c in the prelim) but its cool :P
Reply 82
I got my new certificate today in the post, gone from AAAABC to AAAABB :biggrin:
I got my computing appeal, dispite getting the lowest B possible in the prelim. Saying that, my coursework was a very high mark, and I didn't think i'd done too bad in the final exam. They must have remarked it, as that's the only way I can think of that I got an A.

Another guy in my class didn't get his appeal, and he got an upper bond A in the prelim. You can guess he was annoyed.
Reply 84
In higher modern studies you need 56/90 to get a B. In my prelim i got 56/90. And in my nabs and course work i have been getting As and high Bs like 12/15 and 13-15/15. How strong an appeal would i have if i got a C in my final exam?
Reply 85
AlexSFRoss
In higher modern studies you need 56/90 to get a B. In my prelim i got 56/90. And in my nabs and course work i have been getting As and high Bs like 12/15 and 13-15/15. How strong an appeal would i have if i got a C in my final exam?

:lolwut: ...You cannot get an A or a B in a NAB. They are level C questions and you just get a pass or a fail, not a specific grade.
Reply 86
Blu3j4yw4y
Well... I dunno! In history NAB and exam essay questions are identical, so you could pass one of as the other (we do, actually - two of our NABs were part of our prelim!) and I think Modern Studies is meant to be quite similar to History?

Just hazarding a guess :smile:

For the first time ever...maybe I am wrong :wink: . I was just going by the subjects I do.
Reply 87
If your predicted to get a B and you fail the final exam can you appeal for a B?
Reply 88
Centaur
If your predicted to get a B and you fail the final exam can you appeal for a B?

If you have evidence ie. a prelim or two prelims, both of which are very strong B or level A, then yes - if not then the prediction wont count for much.

But I would expect if you actually failed then if you appealed you would be more likely to get a c and a b.
Reply 89
CJN
If you have evidence ie. a prelim or two prelims, both of which are very strong B or level A, then yes - if not then the prediction wont count for much.

But I would expect if you actually failed then if you appealed you would be more likely to get a c and a b.

So if I was 1% away from an A in the prelim do you think I could get a B?
Reply 90
I would doubt it if you actually failed your exam, I went from a C to a B in one of my highers and I got an A in the prelim.

You are best to just revise for it, because prelims are pretty random anyway.
Hi

I just wanted to make a point about how registering for MySQA affects the appeals timetable, given that you get the results a day early.

The timetable for dealing with appeals is the same, no matter how you get your results. Candidates can't launch appeals directly - they can only be made by the school and they have to be able to submit sufficient evidence to support the appeal.

Getting exam results through MySQA is all about helping to take some of the anxiety out of waiting for them to arrive - everything else happens in the usual timescales.

Hope that makes sense!
SAM
mysqa
Hi

I just wanted to make a point about how registering for MySQA affects the appeals timetable, given that you get the results a day early.

The timetable for dealing with appeals is the same, no matter how you get your results. Candidates can't launch appeals directly - they can only be made by the school and they have to be able to submit sufficient evidence to support the appeal.

Getting exam results through MySQA is all about helping to take some of the anxiety out of waiting for them to arrive - everything else happens in the usual timescales.

Hope that makes sense!
SAM

Just out of curiosity, when are all our papers marked by, etc?

Like I am just wondering when it would be "possible" for me to find out my results, I know I can't get them before 4th but I am sure u knw what i mean

I was thinking about this, and I am not obsessing over it, and I know nothing can be done and the system works well as it is, but

Someone could do crap in their prelim, do good in their actual exam, but for modern studies/English, they could have a rogue, erratic marker and they have no chance of an appeal.
Hi GBM
Some papers are probably being marked as I type. But it would be impossible for you to find out how you have done before the 4th. Even a very large bribe made directly to my bank account wouldn't do it, because that's how much I love what I do.

As for your worry about rogue markers, the system is designed to pick that sort of thing up. Once the papers are marked they are gathered together and the marks are looked at to ensure the standard is consistent across all the markers. You're right that if you didn't do well in the prelim, you probably won't get an appeal - we have to have evidence to make such a judgement.

SAM
I got 69 percent on my higher history prelim, although i know for a fact that my extended essay is worth atleast 25 out of 30 which gives me a A, but todays exam did not go very well. I think i might just scrap a B, do you think an appeal would be sucessful. How does it work because i do not know what i got overall because the extended essay is obviously not marked yet. Thanks
Reply 95
SQA person, errors in marking do happen- It happened to me- I got a B for my higher maths (a while back). But knew there was no way I could have got less than an A band 1 -I had put all my answers on the question paper during the exam and knew that I had only 2 multiple choice wrong in the whole thing. Luckily for me both my teacher and my father (also a maths teacher) had marked my paper the day of the exam, and contacted the SQA on my behalf - after a lot!!! of phone calls, someone did look at my paper- and found about a 1/3 of the written paper had been left unmarked. I have a letter form the SQA explaining what happened and my grade got changed to an A band 1. But it does worry me that I was lucky I had my answers and my teachers new there was a mistake, but what would have happened if I did not write them on the Q paper, or if my teachers (and my dad- who phoned about 20 times and threatened to go to the press) did not push the SQA to relook at my grade. My prelim mark had only been 74% probably not a high enough A to get me on an appeals list so I would have been left with my B if it had not been for my dad (mostly) and backed up by my school.
Sam

I'm just wondering is there is a maximum number of people that you an appeal for in a subject? As i messed up Higher History yesterday, and so did a lot of people in my class, so i'm concerned that i might not be priority to be appealed for. I got 71% in my prelim, and i'm probably looking at a C now.

I think that if there is a limit, only people going from fail to pass, or being upgraded to an A would get appealed for. (i don't think 71% is a strong enough A appeal)

Hope this makes sense. Thanks :smile:
fragle
SQA person, errors in marking do happen- It happened to me- I got a B for my higher maths (a while back). But knew there was no way I could have got less than an A band 1 -I had put all my answers on the question paper during the exam and knew that I had only 2 multiple choice wrong in the whole thing. Luckily for me both my teacher and my father (also a maths teacher) had marked my paper the day of the exam, and contacted the SQA on my behalf - after a lot!!! of phone calls, someone did look at my paper- and found about a 1/3 of the written paper had been left unmarked. I have a letter form the SQA explaining what happened and my grade got changed to an A band 1. But it does worry me that I was lucky I had my answers and my teachers new there was a mistake, but what would have happened if I did not write them on the Q paper, or if my teachers (and my dad- who phoned about 20 times and threatened to go to the press) did not push the SQA to relook at my grade. My prelim mark had only been 74% probably not a high enough A to get me on an appeals list so I would have been left with my B if it had not been for my dad (mostly) and backed up by my school.

Thanks for that.

It's not frightening at all. :mad: :frown: :eek: :eek3: Such a confidence booster to learn even more about the careless SQA
garlicbreadman
Thanks for that.

It's not frightening at all. :mad: :frown: :eek: :eek3: Such a confidence booster to learn even more about the careless SQA

Calm it.
This type of thing will be extremely rare.
You need to forget about the exams and enjoy your summer mate, you're far too stressed about everything. What's done is done.
Ecosse_14
Calm it.
This type of thing will be extremely rare.
You need to forget about the exams and enjoy your summer mate, you're far too stressed about everything. What's done is done.

I need AAAAA that is why :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending