The Student Room Group

Southerners - Could You Live Up North?

Scroll to see replies

i'm from the south - could probably go as far as birmingham. main reasons being:
1) i love london - wouldn't wanna be too far away from it.
2) i find the really northern accents slightly annoying (don't hurt me!)
Reply 41
Failed123
Are you mad?

I assure you, I am not.
punktopia
North Wales, yes... for a while at least.

Cheshire, maybe briefly.

The Lake District, again briefly.

Anywhere else north of the Midlands: no.

Then again... the whole country is basically dire.

That's interesting actually. I'll post a source if I find one, but I read a while back that Cheshire has more characteristics in common with the South, and so statistically, by some measures, may be considered southern

:woo:
rockrunride
Eastern.

OP: Yeah, probably. For a few years, maybe. I like Sheffield personally.

Obviously eastern, but in terms of north vs south which is it more so.
I live in probably what is considered one of the poshest towns in the UK, in Kent, and go to uni in Hull - big difference lol. I like Hull for living in as a student but I wouldn't want to live there after uni. I haven't ventured anywhere else in the north but I wouldn't mind living there as long there's plenty of entertainment and a bit if greenery - nice mixture between my two homes :smile: After all, the north is much much cheaper than down here, and the people more friendly.
Reply 45
Absinth
I assure you, I am not.

Well good luck with that, I can't wait to get my arse out of here. You can take my place.
Reply 46

Grrr token feeeling of hatred is mutual

Tamar should be an international border subject to passport control

Cornish passports could look like this:

lmao!!!

an ingenious idea. However, I personally think Devon should over rule you and take your land and the pasty! mwhahaha :ninja:
Reply 47
Hedgehunter
They don't have Waitrose.. :no:

I probably could survive though, for instance property and things generally are cheaper up north.

Umm...Yes we do.
God forbid me from living on the North! The thought just makes me want to vomit!

I think I'd rather die than go to uni there. :puke:
nasri-diaby
Obviously eastern, but in terms of north vs south which is it more so.

It doesn't like to be classified, but if we are being strict it's southern. It's less than 150 miles from London.
elziebelzie
i'm from the south - could probably go as far as birmingham. main reasons being:
1) i love london - wouldn't wanna be too far away from it.
2) i find the really northern accents slightly annoying (don't hurt me!)

I can understand why people wouldn't like my accent: the Middlesbrough accent is the illegitimate love child of Geordie/Glasweigan/Scouse, amongst others, and is pretty horrendous to be fair :p: Surely you can't have any beef with good old Geordie though?!
Reply 51
I come from the South (Hertfordshire), but I now live and have a job in the North (Sheffield). By the looks of this thread, I'm very much an exception to the rule!
Reply 52
My mate was like 'God, the feckin north. We should just demolish the whole place and replace it with a big industrial estate full of prisons and prostitutes', and i was like you just described what the north is.
Reply 53
If I had to choose I'd go South, but I'm quite happily settled in the middle for now.
Heir-Head
Umm...Yes we do.

Not in Newcastle you don't. The most northern branch I can find is Lincoln. http://www.waitrose.com/branches/index.aspx
Reply 55
NEVER!

your protests are futile. What is it they say about the cornish. ahh yess :emog: "strong in the arm, thick in the head". Us devon folk are superior. face it and begin bowing :p:

All southerns get taken the piss out of anyway if they go up North. Come up here with an annoying posh southern accent and you'll just get ******* ripped on.

you haven't heard my accent :frown:
Reply 56
Anybody watch the news when they proposed moving people from Bradford to custom built estates down South? It was highly amusing and involved alot of 'why the f***ing hell would we want to do that?'
Reply 57
Hedgehunter
Not in Newcastle you don't. The most northern branch I can find is Lincoln. http://www.waitrose.com/branches/index.aspx

Yes we do, it's in the bottom of Eldon Square shopping centre right slap bang in the middle of Newcastle city centre.
Reply 58
Hedgehunter

There's a Waitrose in Newcastle City Centre. And there's one in Hexham. And one in Durham (unless that closed)

Newcastle is nice. A nice nothern city.

After all, its the home of Greggs.:woo:
Reply 59
Hedgehunter
They don't have Waitrose.. :no:

I probably could survive though, for instance property and things generally are cheaper up north.

Um, yes we do have waitrose :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest