Economics degree personal statement example (1h)

Logic, fresh ideas, and a strong applicability to real life: the fundamentals of economics are based on common sense and human nature, whilst remaining open to new theories. Economics also makes use of mathematical models at a higher level, which lends it an appealing rigour. However, unlike what is often perceived about mathematics, concepts learnt in economics are quite applicable to real life. Indeed, economic concepts are strongly relevant to all areas of everyday life, from the growth of developing countries and the shifting of markets as described in periodicals such as The Economist, to the more populist as demonstrated in widely read books such as The Economic Naturalist.

Not only do our own economic decisions have an important effect on our life, but in an increasingly globalised world, so do those of other governments and corporations: a policy shift of a country on the other side of the world affects the price of the bread we eat in a month’s time. The increasing relevance of economics to people’s lives makes a degree in economics very attractive and useful in understanding how life works.

I have had a strong aptitude for the maths and sciences from a young age, and as such the logical component of economics strongly appeals to me. As well as studying Economics as a Higher Level subject in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, I am also enjoying the rigour of my Higher Level Mathematics course, and believe that the skills imparted by this course will serve me well in a university course in Economics. On the other hand, I also enjoy discussing different ideas and concepts; this fits well with the evolving nature of economics, where nothing is set in stone. The problem solving and application skills taught to me by my third Higher Level course, Physics, apply just as well in Economics, where it is often challenging to apply classroom theory to a real life problem. These qualities combined with a healthy interest in current affairs and politics are what draw me to study economics at university.

I have a strong extra curricular interest in music; after completing all eight ABRSM exams in piano, I have begun experimenting with music production. I have also begun giving private piano lessons to younger children, to gain some work experience. Contributing to the school newspaper for several years has also been an enjoyable experience, and I have been a senior editor in my final two years, which has given me a sense of leadership and the skills required for management.

• Cambridge
  • Warwick - Offer
  • Manchester University
  • Bristol

• IB: Predicted 44/45 with 6 in English SL