Biology degree personal statement example (1s)

Having devoted a considerable amount of my spare time to the study of various scientific articles on the internet, as advised by my secondary school teachers, I first became interested in biology when I was handed a copy of the article “Knowing Where to Scratch” taken from the book ‘Phantoms in the Brain’ by a friend. It was about the phantoms limb and explained why an arm or leg lingers indefinitely in the minds of patients long after it has been removed. As I read, I could not help to question why amputees experience excruciating phantom pains in their missing body part. However, as I read on I became fascinated by the fact that a complete map of phantoms hand exits on the face of the amputee. Although I enjoyed biology, I did not initially intend to continue beyond GCSE but as I read the article over and over again, I could not help but see the beauty of the architecture of the human mind.

This induced me to acquire knowledge about biology and its disciplines at A-level; I particularly enjoyed learning how the human body produces specific immune response, how brain process thought and certain plant processes such as succession. I am looking forward to covering these topics in more detail at university. A-level chemistry has contributed to furthering my understanding of biology, through the study of chemical reactions which is essential to understanding how processes such as photosynthesis work at molecular level. During the past years I have learnt how to observe and conduct experiments, and to examine hypothesis and theories. My decision to study biology at university has been strengthen by my enjoyment and success in these subjects.

Biology encompasses a broad subject with a range of possible areas to specialise in. This is another feature that attracted me to choose biology. My plans following the completion of my current studies are to study a range of first and second year modules at university and then decide on a more specialised degree.

Throughout my college life I have learnt many skills that will be essential to my future. While undertaking biology, I attended a residential field trip where I was able to self design ecology fieldwork investigation using range of sampling techniques and equipment. This developed my practical skills as I carried out a series of experiments at the river; numerical and data handling skills through statistical analysis of multiple data that I had collected. While carrying out group presentations on plant succession, I developed many practical techniques to build and run a team that functions effectively. I learnt the importance of establishing trust between individuals within a team, matching team members to task and encouraging ideas. Similarly, I learnt that truly effective leadership lies in mastering a wide range of skills from implementing processes to inspiring others to achieve excellence. The skills gained from these experiences can be put into action in a variety of situations in university.

For two years, I have been a member of the youth advisory panel of Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health. As a member, I learnt to be open minded, speak up when problems arise and be more aware of contemporary issues. In addition, I am an avid listener of the weekly podcast ‘The Naked Scientists’. This has helped me keep up-to-date with the new developments in science and technology. For practical experience I attended a first aid course run by Medrock training. I am also part of TimeBank’s mentoring project. I commit one hour a week to mentor older women to improve their english language and computer skills. This has given me a chance to make a positive impact in others life, as well as improved my communication and listening skills. The project training taught me the importance of action planning and goal setting in order to meet my mentee's targets. These skills have helped me better cope with the pressure of study and exams.

My enthusiasm for biology and aspiration for a career in this field is reflected by self-motivation and determination for life long learning and achievement. I hope, with careful consideration I will be given the opportunity to employ my skills and experience as an undergraduate student.