Chemistry and engineering degree personal statement example (1a)

So, why me? Well I feel that university life would suit me to a T. Academically I strive for challenges, I have perseverance in what I set my mind on and enjoy the chance of stretching myself and solving problems. I am an extremely inquisitive person, I always like to know more, find the full story. As a result I am often found researching topics even after a mere mention of them. I enjoy working with people, however I am also strongly independent. In fact some of my A level modules (further maths and statistics) are partially or wholly self-taught, due to the nature of the course and its timetabling. University isn't just about study though; I intend to fully immerse myself in the university experience. I am looking forward to new social situations and participating actively in being part of the university not just from it. University is a chance to show yourself as an individual, something that I embrace wholeheartedly.

The principles that govern structure and function in the natural and man made world have grown to intrigue me. Having explored these aspects through mathematics and science, I look forward to developing these ideas while furthering my skills in analysis, research and problem solving. University I feel is the best place for this, to be able to witness and participate in the applications of study areas further than ever before, gaining from the knowledge and experience of the lecturers as well as the highest quality facilities. A degree is not something you can simply drift through, however I believe I am ready for such a challenge.

I received perfectly acceptable grades for each of my subjects at AS, however even though taking on 4 full A levels is a challenge, I have decided to re-sit many of these modules. I do not feel my full potential was expressed in my results, this I believe was mostly due to poor exam technique, something that I am working on improving. This choice for me was an easy decision as I am striving for the best grades I can get and I am willing to persevere through this increased workload. If you are considering me for a place at your university I should imagine you would want to know what kind of person I am and what I get up to? My free time is divided between many diverse interests; high on that list is socialising with friends, like anyone. I am a subscriber to New Scientist, which I read every week cover-to-cover, key areas of interest include Computing Technology, Genetics and Biological science, Chemistry and the environment. I am an avid reader of both fiction and non-fiction, with books ranging from ancient Egypt to philosophy and dare I say it, Harry Potter. Music has always been a key interest for me; I have played music for almost as long as I can remember and I have at least 7 different types of instrument in my possession. This is an interest, which I will be keen to take with me to university. Currently I am also learning to foil fence, I have finished a training course and am a member of the Norfolk Fencing club, so I would be an enthusiastic participant in any fencing club that may be available. Other skills that I am learning myself are, playing the violin and beginning to learn Japanese.

I have previously participated in a Gifted and Talented programme, This involved two summer schools, where I had the opportunity to investigate subjects and their applications in more detail. It also included regular meetings as well as mentoring sessions linking in with local Schools and also the local university. Activity weekends were another part, these built on team working and social skills, as well as being enjoyable experiences. I feel that this programme was an ideal stepping-stone into further education and also a helpful glimpse into student life.

Knowledge is something I have always held dear to me and that thirst for knowledge is something I believe I will want to build upon throughout my life, university is a key component in that quest.

Universities applied to:

• Edinburgh
  • Durham
  • Bristol