Personal Statement - Fine Art and Architecture

Fine Art and Architecture Personal Statement

When I was little I drew 3 dinosaurs on a piece of paper which my dad posted on the drawer in front of my bed. Each night, the dinosaurs’ heads started moving and even if, then, it seemed bizarre, I got fascinated with the idea of living art. My purpose in life is not to master color or to create shapes, but to bring those shapes to life. Therefore, I have never really thought about my future, about the path that I would choose since, in a way, it seemed to be already set: my life would be dedicated to creation. My reading developed in me a love for all visual arts, from art to architecture, broadening my horizon and making me curious for new ideas and new ways of thinking. Articles from “Frieze” and “New Art”, books like “Ways of seeing” or “The Phaidon Atlas”, they all had a great impact on me and by reading them not only did I find a new perspective, but I also developed a powerful craving for innovation, for new forms of artistic expression, different from the traditional styles. I relate to the works of artists and architects, both, and I draw inspiration from all over the art world, from the works of young, new artists, like Gavin Nolan, to the designs of unorthodox architects, such as Frank Gehry. It has all made me bolder and has given me the courage to experiment, to break barriers and to aim to create something new and exciting, something worth remembering. Since October 2009 I have been studying art outside of high school, in a 3 year course at the local art school where, along with the thorough learning of the notions of perspective, shape and color, I have been able to use the school’s workshop in order to develop my own projects. During this period of time, I developed a close relationship with the drawing board and I learned to experiment, to work with concepts and to put my own ideas into practice. Also, in 2010, within the “Marco & Alberto Ippolito” international competition held in Italy, I was awarded 2nd place in the “painting – graphics” section for a piece on the theme of “Friendship”, showing therefore not only talent, but also the power to create under the restrictions set by a given theme. I like getting involved in projects that I believe in and that inspire me. I am a hard working person, with a tendency of leaning towards perfection, but without being afraid of making mistakes. Still, what I think defines me, both as a person and as an artist, is my creativity. Whatever action I endeavor, regardless of its nature, I do it in a creative way, trying to reach beyond borders and always putting to test my own limits. Along with the sense of color and aesthetics, for which my own works stand as proof, another significant ace is my possessing a strong ability in time management, evidenced by my getting involved in numerous extracurricular and volunteering projects (I have been a volunteer in the “Community Action” activities since 2009, offering support to the children in the “Fair Play” Orphanage of Constanta). In 2010, I took part as a delegate in a regional session of EYP Romania within which, along with my fellow delegates, we started a project intended to solve the issue of European citizenship. This project granted me the opportunity to prove that I have both organizational as well as leadership abilities, that I am a person with initiative when involved within a team and that I can provide creative ideas in problem solving matters. One of my passions has always lied in acting, so in 2010, together with a number of colleagues, we started a theatre company, participating in the “Applauses” festival. Besides having had one of the leading roles within the play, I have also significantly contributed to the writing of the script, an activity which I took great pleasure in due to the fact that it allowed me great creative flexibility. I have always had great dreams and I was never afraid to follow them. Therefore, my life’s ambition is to be able to create a work that mankind can call a masterpiece.

• University of Oxford (Fine art) - Offer - Firm
  • Manchester University (Architecture) - Offer - Insurance

Grades not supplied

I'm an EU applicant, so my grades are in the Romanian system. For the record, Oxford asked for an overall average of 8 out of 10.

fell in love with this ps

Generally, you should never start the statement with 'when I was little' or anything along those lines. They get that all the time and I'm sure the admissions staff will just roll their eyes if they read another one.