Law degree personal statement example (3p) KCL, Birmingham offers

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements. 

Law is the very foundation of society: without it society would not function correctly and thus no human action would be limited. I have a profound interest in law and how it holds such power over our everyday lives, particularly how morals have such influence in its creation without us often being aware of it. I visited Auschwitz in 2012 as part of a Diversity group that hosted a debate amongst members of my community on morals and whether anyone can dictate what is right or wrong. I learnt that morality and law build on one another, which has led to me wanting to study how they function together. History has shown me how law is deep-rooted in our past and how we battle with it to this day. I studied the Civil Rights Campaigns in America and I am still intrigued by the contradicting opinions of the police, Federal and Supreme Courts and how the public, who should be the main voice of the law, were subject to on-going disputes relating to the questionable de facto and de jure implications of a ruling. Law has evolved and progressed, evidenced by the change of rulings between Plessy v Ferguson (1896) and Brown v Topeka (1954) when the ruling of 'separate but equal' was challenged. Regular access to The Lawyer has given me a valuable insight into changes today and I have kept abreast of the evolution of laws with society; for example the case taken by Taylor Wessing earlier this year challenges an anti-gay law in Northern Cyprus which is Empire-era legislation, waiting to be repealed to fit modern morals and values. Studying significant and influential literature brought me to notice the theme of man's 'descent into savagery' when not limited by the laws of his society. Reading To Kill A Mockingbird, influenced by the Scottsboro Boys case in 1931, proved to me how easily laws can be created, ignored or manipulated to suit a situation. Lord of the flies also demonstrated to me how a lack of restrictions and people to enforce them could result in destruction, reinforcing my belief that functional law is entirely necessary today. These loopholes in the law, and the consequences if the law is not present, are what really spark my interest.

I undertook two weeks of work experience with the Crown Prosecution Service in London. This consisted of visits to the Crown and Magistrates' Court where I shadowed paralegals and barristers, experiencing a fast-paced and intellectually demanding environment, developing my versatility. I also helped lawyers with CPS Direct where I collected and evaluated evidence for a case at court, creating the action plans that were sent to the police. The barrister I shadowed questioned me on the evidence I received and his guidance developed my induction, deduction and objectiveness when studying and understanding the law. I have watched the law being put into practice from the public galleries of both the Old Bailey and Royal Courts of Justice. Watching the libel claims by Mr Jefferies over the death of Jo Yeates, I was enthralled at the way the case was presented and the depth that was necessary for an effective representation of the defendant. I learnt that the loopholes that interest me so much could be the defining point between who wins a case and I want to understand how this is implemented.

Becoming Chairperson of the Young Diversity Champions this year, helping young members of the community tackle diversity issues and raise over £600 to go towards memorials and opportunities, has significantly increased my leadership, confidence and communicative skills. I was a member of Young Chamber for 4 years, gaining a business award, stewarded the Olympic Torch Relay and am currently a member of the Harris Student Commission developing the learning opportunities of students at my school and liaising with the federation to improve learning. Participating in extra-curricular activities has helped me to develop various skills, including perseverance and dedication, which are necessary to study law.

• KCL (Law LLB) - Offer (A*AA) Firm
  • Birmingham (Law LLB) - Offer (AAA) Insurance
  • Manchester (Law LLB) - Offer (AAA)
  • Exeter (Law LLB) - Offer (AAA)
  • Warwick (Law LLB) - Rejection (AAA)

• English Lit (A2) - A*
  • History (A2) - B
  • Biology (A2) - C
  • French (AS) - B

Student's comments

Gained offers even with D in AS Biology which I was carrying on

Went through clearing and now hold Unconditional place at Loughborough University for English (AAB)

Used TSR PS helper for statement