The Student Room Group

Ask a University Student!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I can help if you want . Will be starting uni in September 🤞🏻.
Absolutely! This is something I was a bit worried about before I started uni (I'm going into my second year now), as I'd never been clubbing before and I wasn't a big drinker. I quickly found that because uni draws in such as wide range of people, fitting in happened really naturally. There are so many clubs and societies that don't drink or go clubbing- there really is something for everyone- and the phrase 'sober social' is more popular than ever before. Personally, I have a group of friends that don't go clubbing or drink lots, and then another group that are the opposite (I can hang out with either group depending how I feel)! In summary, I would say you really don't need to worry about this, but if you still feel unsure then I would reccomend speaking to a student mentor once you arrive at uni- they are regular uni students who want to share their advice on studying/living at uni. Hope this helps.
@barror1 you can add me, I will be starting my Physics degree at King's College London. I just noticed that no one has made a thread for King's. :smile:
Original post by bored_user:)
@barror1 you can add me, I will be starting my Physics degree at King's College London. I just noticed that no one has made a thread for King's. :smile:

Hey!
I think this project is on pause for a little bit but definitely look out for when we post next! My other recommendation is to spend some time at uni before starting an AMA- it is much different when you start compared to a term in :rofl:
Hopefully we can add you the next time we add threads though, thanks for offering your help!
Original post by barror1
Hey!
I think this project is on pause for a little bit but definitely look out for when we post next! My other recommendation is to spend some time at uni before starting an AMA- it is much different when you start compared to a term in :rofl:
Hopefully we can add you the next time we add threads though, thanks for offering your help!

haha good advice lol
Original post by barror1

Hey everyone! :hi:
I hope that we find you safe and well :hugs:
Welcome to Ask a University Student 2.0!
In these uncertain times, we want to do our best for anyone applying to university who may have had their open days cancelled due to the current pandemic (or may just want to ask a current student a question!). As a result, we have reached out to a bunch of legendary people who have offered to help answer any questions you may have as applicants :heart:
So, without further ado, here we go!:

Subjects
Accounting and Finance-Dentistry-Chemistry-Early Childhood Studies-Egyptology-English-Graphic Design-History-Modern Foreign Languages-Law-Linguistics-Maths-Medicine (international study)-Music and Sound Recording-Neuroscience-Nursing-Operating Department Practice (ODP)-Physics-Politics-Psychology-Sociology and Criminology-Veterinary Medicine

Universities
Angila Ruskin-UoArts London (UAL)-Aston-Bath-Birmingham-Bournemouth-Bristol-Cardiff-Chester-Cranfield-Edge Hill-Edinburgh-Glasgow-Imperial College, London-Keele-Kent-Lancaster-Leeds-Lincoln-Liverpool-Liverpool John Moores-Middlesex-Newcastle -The Open University-Royal Holloway-Sheffield-Southampton-Southampton Solent-Staffordshire-Strathclyde-Suffolk-Surrey-Swansea
-UCLan-Warwick-West of Scotland (UWS)-York

If you have any questions please feel free to tag in either me or @04MR17, and please post in this thread if you want to contribute :love:

Guys!!

I have just found a great provider if that helps for any of you on here!! HUDDLE are offering £50 CASHBACK for everyone who signs up!!!🤩

Be sure to check them out and Stuniiapp are offering big discounts for everyone if you want to look at different offers🔥🔥
Reply 26
Original post by Anonymous
Guys!!

I have just found a great provider if that helps for any of you on here!! HUDDLE are offering £50 CASHBACK for everyone who signs up!!!🤩

Be sure to check them out and Stuniiapp are offering big discounts for everyone if you want to look at different offers🔥🔥

I have heard of this, the code is STU50 for £50 back isn't it?
If I decide that I would rather live at home compared to living in university Dorms, would ir be harder to make friends?
Original post by dj_atmos
If I decide that I would rather live at home compared to living in university Dorms, would ir be harder to make friends?

Read this post:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=79196192&postcount=2

Generally, yes it is. But it isn't impossible to be a commuter student and have an active social life at uni (covid permitting of course).
Hi I’m really stuck on deciding whether to go to a midlands uni or Hertfordshire. Like I want to have a good uni experience in terms of city life (like what you can do in the city), social life, nightlife and the overall unis themselves. I’ve heard Hertfordshire is quite boring and at the weekends people would rather go home and go out in their own city because there’s not much to do in Hertfordshire. Any opinions whether it’s from personal experience or not would be so helpful!
Hi I’m really stuck on deciding whether to go to a midlands uni or Hertfordshire. Like I want to have a good uni experience in terms of city life (like what you can do in the city), social life, nightlife and the overall unis themselves. I’ve heard Hertfordshire is quite boring and at the weekends people would rather go home and go out in their own city because there’s not much to do in Hertfordshire. Any opinions whether it’s from personal experience or not would be so helpful!

Hi!
Since there is no AMA for Hertfordshire, it is probably worth looking in the TSR guide for it here and posting on the forum here.
I would provide information if I could but I'm afraid I know nothing about the uni, I hope that these links help :yes:
Original post by dj_atmos

Hi @dj_atmos,

Whilst living in university halls is a great way to make friends there's so many other opportunities to do so as well. These include your course, sports teams and societies. I would encourage you to get involved with as many different societies and put on events as possible to open yourself up to new people!

Antonia :h:
University of Liverpool - Student Ambassador
How to start your personal statement for UCAS?

Also, I was wondering if you have any tips/advice for it? :smile:

Avoid using clichés such as : "once upon a time, for as long as I can remember etc... Remember that universities have hundreds and thousands of applicants, they don't have time to read your life story. Get straight to the point, talk about why you want to study your chosen course. Talk about how your current subjects will help you in your degree. Also talk about your work experience and the skills you have gained from it that you can use in your degree.

Hope this helps,
Aisha.
Hi can we take a transfer to medicine in Glasgow after 1 yr of doing a life science degree?
Reply 34
Original post by papillox
Hi can we take a transfer to medicine in Glasgow after 1 yr of doing a life science degree?

Might be better to ask on a medicine forum but that seems unlikely.

try this one: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6902612
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi everyone!
My name is Daisy and I'm a third-year history student at the University of Southampton!

Thought I'd say hi on this thread in case anyone had any questions about history, the uni of Southampton, choosing a university, accommodation, adjusting to uni or anything else you've been wondering about!

Just reply to this message or tag me in your questions and I'll get back to you ASAP! Looking forward to talking to you all :smile:

Daisy (a third-year History Official Rep) :smile:
Hey everyone!

I'm Veronica and I'm a final year Dietetics student studying at Coventry University.

I'm happy to answer any queries or questions relating to my experience at university. So, feel free to reply and I'll get back to you when I can!
There are a number of other Student Ambassadors from the university studying various subjects, so if you have any questions you'd like to ask that are course-specific or related to Coventry University, please find the forum here and send us your post!

Look forward to reading your posts!

Veronica
Student Ambassador
(edited 2 years ago)
Hello everyone,

Another student ambassador from Southampton. I study law (am a third year law student) so feel free drop any questions about the subject or about my experience at University.

Teresa (University of Southampton Ambassador)
Hi both @Uni of Southampton Students and @Coventry University Student Ambassadors !
Thanks so much for your interest in helping with this, it's much appreciated :yes:
If it's ok, please can we move any discussions about Southampton to the relevant thread? This is a very general one so you are more likely to get responses by posting there. The page can be found here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2116805 .
As for Coventry, I don't think there is a thread yet! Feel free to make one in a similar style to the ones linked above and I will be more than happy to add it to the list :h:
Cheers!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by barror1
Hi both @Uni of Southampton Students and @Coventry University Student Ambassadors !
Thanks so much for your interest in helping with this, it's much appreciated :yes:
If it's ok, please can we move any discussions about Southampton to the relevant thread? This is a very general one so you are more likely to get responses by posting there. The page can be found here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2116805 .
As for Coventry, I don't think there is a thread yet! Feel free to make one in a similar style to the ones linked above and I will be more than happy to add it to the list :h:
Cheers!

Hi!!
I’ve clicked on the link for the University of Southampton but it’s from 9 years ago 😱 I think we need a new and fresh thread!
Niamh (University of Southampton Chemistry Official Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending