Chemistry degree personal statement example (1q) Oxford offer

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements. 

It always seemed to me that if another species had evolved on earth in the place of humans, they may have taken a different path but they would have eventually made the same discoveries as mankind has. In that respect, it has always intrigued me how chemistry found its roots in alchemy, and how often reactions that appear obvious to the modern chemist were misinterpreted and confused by ancient alchemists. The matter, the chemistry, was always there however it was just not discovered yet. To me science is the path to truth. It is very rare for a student to say that they chose their subject because of one teacher, but I am lucky enough to be in that situation. My first GCSE Chemistry lesson with a new teacher not only showed me that chemistry could be fun but also that it was challenging and entirely interactive. The practical side of chemistry has also become a fascination of mine. I love the meticulous nature of some experiments, when especially accurate measurements and instruments are required. I was always particularly pleased with practical procedures that led to crystal formation, as the evidence of diligence was in the shape and size of your crystals. Yet I enjoy the experiments where measurement is unnecessary and I can simply enjoy an aesthetically pleasing colour change or a violent effervescence. This beautiful side of Chemistry was conveyed to me by an inspirational teacher and I hope to be able to illustrate it to more people. Given my interests I chose to study Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Russian to AS level. I particularly enjoyed studying the biochemistry module of my biology AS level; the study of enzymes contextualised my knowledge of kinetics and equilibria. Physics has proved invaluable in my chemical studies, particularly when studying ionisation and excitation; these have helped widen my understanding of mass spectroscopy and flame tests. I have found that my own proficiency and studying Mathematics to AS level has helped give me the confidence to approach chemical calculations with skill. I chose Russian to provide diversity and for a challenge; I have really enjoyed studying Gogol's 'The Inspector General' and watching my progress in grasping new linguistic concepts. I have loved reading widely around my subject. I have particularly relished reading about the history of Chemistry as well as the aspects of classification within it. I read 'Uncle Tungsten' by Oliver Sacks which was a wonderful, nostalgic story about the scientific curiosity that the elements create. I drew many parallels from Mr Sacks' boyhood fascination with reactions to my own interest in Chemistry. 'Mendeleyev's Dream' by Paul Strathern is now a favourite of mine; the way it told the stories of discovery and design of the periodic table really drew me in. These books helped immensely in my writing of the essay 'Progress in science is impeded by great ideas that become accepted wisdom' for the Peterhouse college essay competition. The fact that my essay was commended by the committee helped assure me that I really did want to pursue chemistry to degree level. Taking five A levels has helped hone my organisational skills; on top of my studies I have also managed to maintain a busy extra-curricular schedule. For four years I have been a part of the Army Cadet Force and managed to reach not only the highest rank of Regimental Sergeant Major but also the highest proficiency level of Master Cadet. Both these have been feats of hard work, determination and demonstration of leadership. In summer 2013 I spent two weeks in Romania working with disabled children and adults; it was one of the most rewarding and fun opportunities in my life. During term time I have organised and run a debating club, a Russian language club and hosted a science week assembly which involved performing an experiment in front of the whole school. Despite having other interests, I am devoted to pursuing Chemistry further.

• Oxford - Offer A*AA Firm
  • Durham - Offer A*AA Insurance
  • Bristol- Offer A*AA
  • Edinburgh Offer AAA
  • York - Offer AAB

• Chemistry Predicted A*
  • Biology Predicted A*
  • Physics Predicted A*
  • Maths Predicted A*
  • Russian Predicted A*